Hello, Newbie Here Looking For Your Help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #1

Name: Marty
Trailer: Currently Shoping
California
Hello, Newbie Here Looking For Your Help

Hello All,

My name is Marty and I am shopping for my first travel trailers for my family. The fiberglass trailers are awesome. Really wanting to go this direction however, I am having trouble finding one that fits the criteria. My wife and I spent hours hunting for something that could work but haven’t been able to find something (yet). I am hoping the FGRV community can help.

I have 3 young boys (ages 7, 5, 2) plus my wife and I.

Must haves:
1. Ability to sleep 5. Preferably a bunk, dinette and bed. But again, not picky.

2. I am 6’2” and the ones I have seen with bunks max out at 6’1.5. I would like to own something I can stand in (Casita is out, unfortunately).

BONUS:
3. Toilet/Bathroom would be a big benefit.

That’s it! Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
riversisblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
I am just getting my Scamp but go online to the Scamp website, it will answer many of your questions, it did mine. Check out the videos too. Prices vary greatly, can’t count on the small ones to be cheap or the big ones to be expensive, look around. good luck, MJo.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:32 AM   #3

Name: BJ
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21' Formerly 2015 Escape 19'
Wisconsin
The Escape 19 and 21 both accommodate up to 6'4". The 19 has a true queen sized bed, the dinette turns into a double and a removable/portable bunk can be placed above the dinette. Easily sleeps 5. Has a good bathroom and very reasonable kitchenette. You can get it with the larger fridge, which will work well with a larger family.

Do not get the automatic awning. Get the manual awning, it has far fewer problems and lots more flexibility with rain runoff, having it up during rainstorms so you can still sit outside, and adjusting for the direction of the sun. It allows for tying down during winds as well.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:33 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Maybe someone can find a molded fiberglass camper that meets your needs (a Bigfoot maybe?). But it sounds to me like you might be better off with a camper that is larger than almost all that are discussed on this forum. Standing in a camper is an overrated activity but sleeping is not. You might stand in a Scamp but still hit your head on the A/C if you have it, or the door. The real issue is the sleeping arrangements. I'm six even and take the entire rear bed in a Scamp by myself.. no room left for anyone else.
And thats a lot of people in the camper. Add in a bathroom and even more space is needed.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:55 PM   #5

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
I am 6-2, and in my Casita 17 FD I do not notice the roof height...just a little slouching...afterall there is not a lot of space to walk around in...so getting from the dining table to the bed in the back is a couple of steps with my neck bent.

However, as I recently told others in your situation, those boys will be growing soon, so you will need something that sleeps 5 in full length beds. I don't know of any Casita that would do that for you...or any other small trailer, unless it is totally empty of things like sink/stove/refrigerator/bathroom.
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote