Hello....Sallie here with a question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-08-2020, 08:54 PM   #1

Name: Sallie
Trailer: In the market
Madison Lake
Hello....Sallie here with a question

I am a new member to the forum. Have been looking at Scamp 13’ trailers for a couple years now. Stopped in Backus MN twice now at the manufacturer. Not able to buy new. Budget just won’t allow it but.. I am about to go look at a used 1998 13’ scamp deluxe. No awning, no toilet or shower room. Just really not too sure about a reasonable price for the seller to be asking or what kind of wiggle room I have for negotiating a final price. Anybody out there know the value? Thanks
Sallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:02 PM   #2
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Hi, Sallie. Welcome to FiberglassRV.com. We're glad you found us! While you wait for someone who knows the answer to your question, you might try perusing the classified archive, looking at old ads for similar trailers.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:45 PM   #3

Madison Lake
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll do that
Old 03-09-2020, 06:33 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Condition is everything. Could be $3,000, could be $8,000. At $3,000 you are typically talking a BIG project. At $8,000 it would be fully restored, pristine, beautiful, stored indoors, etc. Age of axle? Floor condition? Nice thing about Scamp is the floor is exposed from the bottom. Many brands this isn't the case. So take a close look under the trailer, bring a tarp with you to lay on.

Your inspection is critical. Trailer is 32 years old. Stuff wears out and leaks inside and outside rot floors. Plan on redoing window seals. Any plastic parts: vents, hatch doors, etc., tend to become brittle with age.

Soft floor is not normal and means rot.

Smells? Your nose is a critical part of the inspection too.

fiberglass rv 4 sale site has a large database for sold trailers. Assume the ones that sold went for close to asking price.

How old are tires? Tires have date codes on them. Over about 5 to 6 years and you should plan on replacement.

Check the buyers checklist in the document center of this forum. Test everything. Door fit?

Read the various Scamp repair threads, it will give you a good idea what to look for as you learn about what people had to fix!

Realize when you buy a 32 year old trailer, it is not new, and stuff wears out. There is a reason they cost less than a new one. The fiberglass shell tends to last forever. Some other parts do not. Are you prepared to do some repairs yourself?

When I showed up to inspect a 40+ year old Trillium, my pickup was basically full of tools including a ladder, tarp and a long straight edge. It only took me about 5 minutes to pass on the first one. Lots of serious damage if you looked. That trailer sold the week later. I guess that buyer didn't look..... I ended up buying #3.

There is always time to look after you buy something, when its too late. Looking before you buy can either save you money or you can avoid a problem!

On wiggle room, typically there is little to NO wiggle room if the trailer is in really good condition. Its a sellers market. Financially, its not about negotiating a lower price, its all about avoiding expensive problems.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:29 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Check the floor inside, too, as most damage works from the top down. Look and probe with a screwdriver inside all the cabinets and benches around the outer perimeter of the cabin. Feel for any sponginess in areas covered by carpet or vinyl. Be cautious of new laminate flooring because it can hide damage.

There’s a Buyer’s Checklist in the Document Center located in the More tab near the upper right corner on the website. It’s not available from the mobile skin or app; you have to access the full site via your browser.

I’d recommend taking a second pair of eyes with you when you go to look at the trailer, preferably someone who has RV experience and who is not directly involved in the purchase. Test everything. Ask the seller to start the fridge well in advance of your inspection- it takes a long time to cool down and doesn’t make noises like your home fridge to clue you whether it’s working. It’s also the single most expensive appliance in the trailer (possibly excepting roof air). If you are not able to test any system, assume it’s not working and factor the repair into your offer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:12 AM   #6

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
Someone just posted a 2014 in IL today. May be worth a look if it is close enough. Looks to be in good shape. Happy egg hunt!
Old 03-09-2020, 12:11 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
welcome

Sallie welcome to a nice place. We had an A-liner when back surgeries came along we sold it and found a nice 13f bareboned 98 Scamp for 5k. Coming from a tenting background we consider indoor plumbing a luxury I guess so we have not missed any of it.

But we did finally put in a porta pottie and have learned to do military baths. We mostly boondock at Walmarts while traveling!

We paid 5k for our 98 and its in excellent condition. If you see one you like listed at a price you can afford be prepared to jump on it as you will have plenty of competition. We don't know how we got ours to be frank!

Have your tug ready after talking to the seller you can tell usually by phone their honesty. We paid up front a small deposit for him to hold it for us and within 3 days were there with money in hand ready to buy!

Don't be surprised if you don't wind up driving 500 miles for you dream. As Jon said do a nose check first thing and follow his ideas all the way through your buying process! Just remember there is no perfect rig...

Good luck in your search

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:15 PM   #8

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
1996 Scamp new price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallie View Post
I am a new member to the forum. Have been looking at Scamp 13’ trailers for a couple years now. Stopped in Backus MN twice now at the manufacturer. Not able to buy new. Budget just won’t allow it but.. I am about to go look at a used 1998 13’ scamp deluxe. No awning, no toilet or shower room. Just really not too sure about a reasonable price for the seller to be asking or what kind of wiggle room I have for negotiating a final price. Anybody out there know the value? Thanks
Ever wonder what a Scamp cost new in the 1990s? They do indeed hold their value. It is common for a well maintained Scamp, several years old, to sell for the same price (or more) than it sold for new. At the same time, a stick built is called a hunting shack and is parked out in the woods.
Attached Thumbnails
1996 scamp0007.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:53 PM   #9

Madison Lake
Thanks so much Thrifty Bill.....all these suggestions and the advice is very much appreciated.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:55 PM   #10

Madison Lake
Thanks Jon in AZ...I'll print off the checklist and take it with me.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:06 PM   #11

Madison Lake
Very interesting Kenneth...thanks for posting this!
Old 03-09-2020, 02:08 PM   #12

Madison Lake
Thanks Sandra!