Hello there! Will any fiberglass manufacturers allow a lot of customization? - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-30-2020, 02:20 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Lisa
Trailer: in the market
Florida
Posts: 4
Hello there! Will any fiberglass manufacturers allow a lot of customization?

Please help me figure out if there's a fiberglass beauty that works for us!

I have a long list of requirements/goals, and I'm not sure anyone can accommodate them. I'm not opposed to building my own, but it would be ugly and not allowed in a lot of campgrounds. Plus, while I have some woodworking experience, I know NOTHING about plumbing and would end up without a bathroom. I know I need:


*an empty or nearly empty roof to adhere several flexible solar panels

*window or wall opening to accommodate this AC unit: https://www.midea.com/us/Air-Conditi...ner-MAW08V1QWT

*I want to use one of these two refrigerators: https://uniqueappliances.com/product...red-dc-fridge/ or https://uniqueappliances.com/product...red-dc-fridge/

*I don't want propane or the burner setup, just countertop where they'd normally put the burners

*I want a small hot water heater, 12v or 120v, 1500w max. If I were building my own trailer (still might!) I'd use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L1JBLIO . It may be that most manufacturers already use a suitable unit

*I want 12v for everything possible - lights, fans, pumps, vents... Ideally only the AC and water heater would be 110v, though I'd still want a couple of 120v outlets for miscellaneous devices

*I will be using two battery banks, a pair of DIY lithium 24v 280ah

*I don't understand exactly how the 110v setup works in these trailers, but I'd like to have everything run through the battery setup / inverter. I have't settled on the inverter, but I'm probably going to end up with a combo charger/inverter unit from Victron, 3000w or so.


Are there any manufacturers that allow for this somewhat extreme level of customization? My goal is to have a trailer capable of boondocking, either solely with solar or with the help of a tank of gas through the generator to top off the batteries. If my budget (~$25,000 or less for the trailer itself) can get me a unit that meets my needs, I'd like that very much. The eggs are so much more attractive than anything I could build from sticks and foam!

Thank you so much to anyone who can offer up any help!!
hopefulhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:21 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
David B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Posts: 2,223
Registry
It sounds like you would do well to look at a Soozy 2. Some have purchased one with just a bathroom so they could build it out like they wanted.
Dave and Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:34 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Posts: 3,270
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
David B has a great answer.
An empty shell and hire a fabricator to customize it for you. With all the people out of work it might be a good time to find the fabricator.
Used stick built also.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:40 AM   #4
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Posts: 1,523
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulhands View Post
Please help me figure out if there's a fiberglass beauty that works for us!

I have a long list of requirements/goals, and I'm not sure anyone can accommodate them. I'm not opposed to building my own, but it would be ugly and not allowed in a lot of campgrounds. Plus, while I have some woodworking experience, I know NOTHING about plumbing and would end up without a bathroom. I know I need:


*an empty or nearly empty roof to adhere several flexible solar panels

*window or wall opening to accommodate this AC unit: https://www.midea.com/us/Air-Conditi...ner-MAW08V1QWT

*I want to use one of these two refrigerators: https://uniqueappliances.com/product...red-dc-fridge/ or https://uniqueappliances.com/product...red-dc-fridge/

*I don't want propane or the burner setup, just countertop where they'd normally put the burners

*I want a small hot water heater, 12v or 120v, 1500w max. If I were building my own trailer (still might!) I'd use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L1JBLIO . It may be that most manufacturers already use a suitable unit

*I want 12v for everything possible - lights, fans, pumps, vents... Ideally only the AC and water heater would be 110v, though I'd still want a couple of 120v outlets for miscellaneous devices

*I will be using two battery banks, a pair of DIY lithium 24v 280ah

*I don't understand exactly how the 110v setup works in these trailers, but I'd like to have everything run through the battery setup / inverter. I have't settled on the inverter, but I'm probably going to end up with a combo charger/inverter unit from Victron, 3000w or so.


Are there any manufacturers that allow for this somewhat extreme level of customization? My goal is to have a trailer capable of boondocking, either solely with solar or with the help of a tank of gas through the generator to top off the batteries. If my budget (~$25,000 or less for the trailer itself) can get me a unit that meets my needs, I'd like that very much. The eggs are so much more attractive than anything I could build from sticks and foam!

Thank you so much to anyone who can offer up any help!!
Lisa, you did mention small 12vdc water heater. There are no 12v water heaters. There are dual fuel water heaters that run on 120v or propane. But you would need an impossibly massive bank of solar panels and batteries with inverter to power a water heater and an air conditioner. If you have shore power, you will be OK. But you mention boondocking. IMO, it is highly doubtful you can succeed at what you are proposing to do. And every appliance that you mention IS powered by 12 vdc except the big two (A/C and water heater). Lil Snoozy owners often carry a generator. It would seem to me that if you plan to go the route you are suggesting, a generator might be appropriate if you are boondocking away from others. And I would add, it is not as easy to find boondocking locations east of the Mississippi as it is in the west. And as far as plumbing is concerned, most current trailers are plumbed with Pex piping, very easy to use. YouTube is your friend.
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:25 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
CarlD's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Posts: 489
I am one of the people that purchased a Lil Snoozy shell and outfitted my self. It came with the rear door, DOT lights and the moulded fiberglass wet bath( I installed it myself. I put propane in mine for the propex space heater and stove. I have a thread here of the build: https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...out-84618.html.

The project is mostly carpentry work. Lots of scribing. I used 1/2 inch plywood for most of it and popular to keep the weight down.

Plumbing is not really that difficult if you use pex, install shut offs and drains as required and an accumulator tank. I designed mine so that if I park the trailer on a slight side slope and blow air in the city water port the system completely drains, so no antifreeze required. Electrical was easy because that is my forte.

We also insulated the whole trailer including the floor which is cork with vinyl on top.

It was a fun project which took about 3 months working 7 days a week. I can't stop when I am working on a project, but that's just me.

Designing and sourcing components took up about 30% of the time.

I am planning walk thru video in the near future. If you have specific questions feel free to PM me.
__________________
Your heirs will inherit money and stuff when you are gone. You can only save or spend money, but you can do things with stuff, so they are going to inherit stuff!
CarlD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:26 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Name: Lisa
Trailer: in the market
Florida
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Lisa, you did mention small 12vdc water heater. There are no 12v water heaters. There are dual fuel water heaters that run on 120v or propane. But you would need an impossibly massive bank of solar panels and batteries with inverter to power a water heater and an air conditioner. If you have shore power, you will be OK. But you mention boondocking. IMO, it is highly doubtful you can succeed at what you are proposing to do. And every appliance that you mention IS powered by 12 vdc except the big two (A/C and water heater). Lil Snoozy owners often carry a generator. It would seem to me that if you plan to go the route you are suggesting, a generator might be appropriate if you are boondocking away from others. And I would add, it is not as easy to find boondocking locations east of the Mississippi as it is in the west. And as far as plumbing is concerned, most current trailers are plumbed with Pex piping, very easy to use. YouTube is your friend.
I have 16 3.2v 280ah cells coming by slow boat from China. That's roughly 14kwh of battery capacity, at a cost of about 200lbs and $2000. I'm planning on a 3000w inverter. From my research, together they are impossibly large enough. Solar panels are the limiter for me, it seems, as there's only so much roof to mount them. I'll require some ground mounted panels, and will still have to top up with a generator.

Fortunately, Florida has a great many water management areas where boondocking is allowed. Unfortunately, they're all hot and swamp-humid most of the year - AC is pretty much essential now that I'm older and complain more ;-) I could do without the hot water shower if needed, we've used a sprayer from a large black reservoir for sunwarmed showers for years. I think, though, that as long as I size the inverter large enough to handle the water heater kicking on with the AC running, this should all be feasible. The AC is a dual inverter model, so it has much smaller and less frequent spikes as compared to traditional models, as well as being pretty darned efficient. I want the even more efficient mini split version, but they just aren't suited to a mobile application.

All this research was done with the intention of building a trailer, or converting a cargo trailer. I just keep coming back to the aesthetics. I love the snoozy2 almost as much as i love the Scamps and Casitas!
hopefulhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Name: Lisa
Trailer: in the market
Florida
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
I am one of the people that purchased a Lil Snoozy shell and outfitted my self. It came with the rear door, DOT lights and the moulded fiberglass wet bath( I installed it myself. I put propane in mine for the propex space heater and stove. I have a thread here of the build: https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...out-84618.html.

The project is mostly carpentry work. Lots of scribing. I used 1/2 inch plywood for most of it and popular to keep the weight down.

Plumbing is not really that difficult if you use pex, install shut offs and drains as required and an accumulator tank. I designed mine so that if I park the trailer on a slight side slope and blow air in the city water port the system completely drains, so no antifreeze required. Electrical was easy because that is my forte.

We also insulated the whole trailer including the floor which is cork with vinyl on top.

It was a fun project which took about 3 months working 7 days a week. I can't stop when I am working on a project, but that's just me.

Designing and sourcing components took up about 30% of the time.

I am planning walk thru video in the near future. If you have specific questions feel free to PM me.
You guys are brilliant, that does seem close to ideal!! The Hooga in the discussion forum also calls to me, with a more 'traditional' shape, but I'm somewhat leery of being an early adopter when it comes to structural changes.

I'm going to go through your thread immediately! It's heartening to hear that perhaps plumbing isn't the big scary concern I had imagined it to be. Thank you all!
hopefulhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
WaltP's Avatar
 
Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Posts: 1,965
I hope Snoozy II will be as amenable to your needs as Li'l Snoozy was. Another one you might want to look into is the Happier Camper. It's basically a shell with lots of optional inserts to meet various needs.

Walt
__________________
Past owner of 1995 13' Casita, 1994 16' Casita, 2012 Parkliner, 2002 17' Bigfoot.
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Posts: 1,228
A new company just posted on this website. They offer a fiberglass shell on a frame: The Hooga.

Use a composite toilet like the Natures Head, Sun-Mar,
Air Head, Separett, C-Head, Camco (41541) Portable Compost Toilet...lots of options to the traditional Loo.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...RV+-+Emails%29
__________________
2019 Big Foot 25RQ with cargo box and onboard Cummins LP 2500 generator, 2019 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7L Cummins
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Posts: 3,270
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
RZR has the answer. Buy it and hire an out of work because of covid person to finish it like you want.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:00 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Posts: 7,384
There are a lot of design and engineering issues to consider when building out a trailer. Years back, Escape Trailer Industries asked for layout ideas. A large number of designs did not accommodate wheel wells, for instance, or consider balancing the trailer from side to side, as well as back to front.

Anyway, I'm sure the Hooga will sell well in Denmark.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:25 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
Posts: 107
Have you talked with Oliver? I understand that Oliver has been MUCH more flexible in doing what the customer wants than most other "egg" builders.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:23 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Name: Viron
Trailer: casita
Texas
Posts: 12
Escape trailers allow for a lot of customization but may not meet all of those goals. You can get two 160w solar panels mounted on the roof from the factory.
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:05 PM   #14
Member
 
John McDonald's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2008 Taylor Coach 17 ft
Posts: 70
Taylor Coach maybe?

Taylor coach is noted for doing custom trailers. Not an “egg,” but built one at a time with very good reputation for quality work and lightweight construction.
https://taylorcoach.com/

Cheers John
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:20 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Jon Vermilye's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Posts: 2,110
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulhands View Post
Please help me figure out if there's a fiberglass beauty that works for us!

I have a long list of requirements/goals, and I'm not sure anyone can accommodate them. I'm not opposed to building my own, but it would be ugly and not allowed in a lot of campgrounds. Plus, while I have some woodworking experience, I know NOTHING about plumbing and would end up without a bathroom. I know I need:


*an empty or nearly empty roof to adhere several flexible solar panels

*window or wall opening to accommodate this AC unit: https://www.midea.com/us/Air-Conditi...ner-MAW08V1QWT

*I want to use one of these two refrigerators: https://uniqueappliances.com/product...red-dc-fridge/ or https://uniqueappliances.com/product...red-dc-fridge/

*I don't want propane or the burner setup, just countertop where they'd normally put the burners

*I want a small hot water heater, 12v or 120v, 1500w max. If I were building my own trailer (still might!) I'd use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L1JBLIO . It may be that most manufacturers already use a suitable unit

*I want 12v for everything possible - lights, fans, pumps, vents... Ideally only the AC and water heater would be 110v, though I'd still want a couple of 120v outlets for miscellaneous devices

*I will be using two battery banks, a pair of DIY lithium 24v 280ah

*I don't understand exactly how the 110v setup works in these trailers, but I'd like to have everything run through the battery setup / inverter. I have't settled on the inverter, but I'm probably going to end up with a combo charger/inverter unit from Victron, 3000w or so.


Are there any manufacturers that allow for this somewhat extreme level of customization? My goal is to have a trailer capable of boondocking, either solely with solar or with the help of a tank of gas through the generator to top off the batteries. If my budget (~$25,000 or less for the trailer itself) can get me a unit that meets my needs, I'd like that very much. The eggs are so much more attractive than anything I could build from sticks and foam!

Thank you so much to anyone who can offer up any help!!
I have this air conditioner in my bedroom at the stick & brick, and love it. Quiet & efficient. That said, adapting the way it is split to a trailer is going to be interesting. Unless you devise some sliding wall piece, building it in is kinda permanent. Still, I do wish there was a practical way to install one. Much simpler install than a real mini split if there was a way to keep the two half separate.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:11 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Name: Mark
Trailer: Outback
Alberta
Posts: 5
Trillium Trailers build to order, and will also refurbish/rebuild all makes of fibreglass trailers to whatever degree of custom your budget can accommodate. They are based in western Canada so probably the best option for Canadians.

YouTube blogger "Slim Potatohead" is a great channel to follow to get inspiration for using, maintaining and customising small trailers and you can see his restored and modified Outback there.
MSHYYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Allow the Iowa Nice Guy Cyndi B. General Chat 4 02-02-2015 10:54 PM
Do Campgrounds Allow Screen Rooms? Jo Agrafojo General Chat 38 09-06-2012 02:50 AM
Are there any other car crazy people out there? Phil 4500 General Chat 21 08-05-2008 01:46 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.