Hello Trails West Campster - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
Member
 
Rpryor3's Avatar
 
Name: Raymond
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster
California
Posts: 45
Hello Trails West Campster

Hello I have a 1970 trails west campster I am fixing up and camping in. My TV is a 2010 FJ Cruiser 4x4. We've had the camper a few years now and have used it plenty. I have ripped out the heater and fridge and made it more storage space for now. Both were completed rusted and no way to restore them....well cheaply restore them. Replaced all the wiring in the trailer. Replaced all the cushion covers and curtains and blinds, thanks to my wife and her sewing machine. Re-enforced the floor, as the original floor has several weak and beyond weak areas. Put a 12v system on it and installed some lights and a water pump. Made a new table for it, well sanded and stained a piece of wood for a table, Home Depot had a piece the exact size I needed....made it simple enough.
I would like to replace the running gear and possibly switch to a straight axle, as opposed to the 4 inch drop axle it has now, so it can follow pretty much where ever my FJ may lead.
Attached Thumbnails
image-3696668252.jpg   image-1945823550.jpg  

__________________

Rpryor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:28 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,963
Hi Raymond to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

Thanks for posting the pictures, sounds like you're on your way to making many camping memories!

We have a number of Compact (and Hunter cousin) members here. I'm sure you'll find lots of kind and friendly people to help you with your questios.

__________________

__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:46 AM   #3
Moderator
 
Pam Garlow's Avatar
 
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Posts: 3,316
Registry
Looks like a nice camper, easy to tow and small. Spiffy tow vehicle also! Welcome to the group, and feel free to post more photos of your modifications. I like that recessed shelf area, would love to see a few more pics!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Ice-breaker's Avatar
 
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Posts: 512
Welcome. Nice tug and trailer.
__________________
Dave W - 2013 Escape 19', 2013 Escape 15B and 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
WOW... Great combination TV & Rig. I'll bet no one complains about that tow setup!!!!!
BTW: Where are you located in CA?



Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
SouthwestOregon201's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16 Delux
Oregon
Posts: 102
Registry
Hi Raymond, I just did the axle swap on a Compact I. The straight axle plus the addition of 14" wheels pushed my trailer up 4 1/2". Check out the pictures on my Registry (SouthwestOregon201), 1974 needing a cleanup.
Let me know if questions result.
Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR
Attached Thumbnails
Profile1.JPG  
SouthwestOregon201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
Member
 
Rpryor3's Avatar
 
Name: Raymond
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster
California
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthwestOregon201 View Post
Hi Raymond, I just did the axle swap on a Compact I. The straight axle plus the addition of 14" wheels pushed my trailer up 4 1/2". Check out the pictures on my Registry (SouthwestOregon201), 1974 needing a cleanup.
Let me know if questions result.
Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR
Looks good with the extra ground clearance. Do you take it off road much? Nice Tacoma. I'm new to this forum so how do I get to your registry to see your pics?
Rpryor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
Member
 
Rpryor3's Avatar
 
Name: Raymond
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster
California
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthwestOregon201 View Post
Hi Raymond, I just did the axle swap on a Compact I. The straight axle plus the addition of 14" wheels pushed my trailer up 4 1/2". Check out the pictures on my Registry (SouthwestOregon201), 1974 needing a cleanup.
Let me know if questions result.
Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR
Also I will probably do the axle replacement in a year or so. Right now she just fits in my garage and that's the only place I have to store her. Hopefully in a year or so I'll have a different place with an outdoor spot to park her and height won't be an issue.
Rpryor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
SouthwestOregon201's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16 Delux
Oregon
Posts: 102
Registry
Check the left box area where the avatar and user name is and you'll see the Registry on my reply. Just click on that, or someone's user name and you'll find information about that member. I have two albums you can look at.

Our logging roads in Oregon are not all smooth. I wanted the jump up in height for ground clearance as well as alignment to the TV. I did probably prevent a potential buyer from looking at this trailer, if putting it in the garage was a big issue. Other members have got a second set of miniature wheels that they transfer the trailer to, just for that purpose. A cool idea for the solution.

You've tackled the photo thing and everyone likes the pictures, so keep us informed of any progress.

As you explore the builds that others have done, you'll get some great ideas and plenty of good advice.

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR
Attached Thumbnails
new wheels2.JPG   straight axle2.JPG  

SouthwestOregon201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Ricky 4's Avatar
 
Name: Rick & Rei
Trailer: 1970 Campster
Kansas
Posts: 404
Campster blinds

You said your wife made curtains and blinds. I am wondering what kind of blinds do you have?
I can't figure out a way to attach blinds-metal around the window is to narrow for the brackets.
Thought about attaching a wood piece on the window frame and then attach blinds and curtains to that.
Any help or ideas appreciated.
Mrs.C
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #11
Member
 
Rpryor3's Avatar
 
Name: Raymond
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster
California
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthwestOregon201 View Post
Check the left box area where the avatar and user name is and you'll see the Registry on my reply. Just click on that, or someone's user name and you'll find information about that member. I have two albums you can look at.

Our logging roads in Oregon are not all smooth. I wanted the jump up in height for ground clearance as well as alignment to the TV. I did probably prevent a potential buyer from looking at this trailer, if putting it in the garage was a big issue. Other members have got a second set of miniature wheels that they transfer the trailer to, just for that purpose. A cool idea for the solution.

You've tackled the photo thing and everyone likes the pictures, so keep us informed of any progress.

As you explore the builds that others have done, you'll get some great ideas and plenty of good advice.

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR
What weight springs did you put on it? Mine sags to one side by over 1.5 inches so I need to replace the leaf springs and not sure what weight to go with.
Rpryor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Bobbie Mayer's Avatar
 
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Posts: 3,313
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthwestOregon201 View Post
Hi Raymond, I just did the axle swap on a Compact I. The straight axle plus the addition of 14" wheels pushed my trailer up 4 1/2". Check out the pictures on my Registry (SouthwestOregon201), 1974 needing a cleanup.
Let me know if questions result.
Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR
So how much clearance in inches do you have now, Dave?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Bobbie Mayer's Avatar
 
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Posts: 3,313
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpryor3 View Post
What weight springs did you put on it? Mine sags to one side by over 1.5 inches so I need to replace the leaf springs and not sure what weight to go with.
Mine sagged but it turned out to be one of the thingies that the springs hang from and not the leaf springs themselves. (Sorry, I forget what they called it.) Replaced that and it rides perfectly evenly now.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Mine sagged but it turned out to be one of the thingies that the springs hang from and not the leaf springs themselves. (Sorry, I forget what they called it.) Replaced that and it rides perfectly evenly now.
Leaf Spring Shackles
Attached Images
 
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Bobbie Mayer's Avatar
 
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Posts: 3,313
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Leaf Spring Shackles
That's it!

Yes, at first one was sticking and it would sometimes leave one side low, then it got permanently stuck, at which point I had it replaced which solved the problem.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
SouthwestOregon201's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16 Delux
Oregon
Posts: 102
Registry
Raymond, I have 2000 pound leaf springs. The trailer probably weighs in at 1400 pounds and is just under the minimum for Oregon's requirement for brakes.

Bobbie, the lowest frame to ground distance is 17 1/2". The axle would be about 4" higher than the drop axle. and the bottom of the propane frame housing is 16" from the ground. The bottom of the rear bumper is also 16".

The original axle was really heavy duty. I'm sure the new axle assembly is 20 pounds lighter. The lug nut pattern is exactly the same as the 13" wheels, so that gives me 3 spares (5 on 4 1/2). All the parts for the straight axle came to $125. The wheels and tires were just over $400.

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR
SouthwestOregon201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Bobbie Mayer's Avatar
 
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Posts: 3,313
Registry
Mine is about 14 inches, with 12 inch wheels, so maybe it is set up the same way. I can just barely get into the garage (84 inches.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #18
Member
 
Rpryor3's Avatar
 
Name: Raymond
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster
California
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Mine is about 14 inches, with 12 inch wheels, so maybe it is set up the same way. I can just barely get into the garage (84 inches.)
If your avatar is your trailer...a trailswest....I say you have the drop axle. I have the 4 inch drop axle and I just barley fit in my garage. If I had the straight axle I would not fit.
Rpryor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #19
Member
 
Rpryor3's Avatar
 
Name: Raymond
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster
California
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthwestOregon201 View Post
Raymond, I have 2000 pound leaf springs. The trailer probably weighs in at 1400 pounds and is just under the minimum for Oregon's requirement for brakes.

Bobbie, the lowest frame to ground distance is 17 1/2". The axle would be about 4" higher than the drop axle. and the bottom of the propane frame housing is 16" from the ground. The bottom of the rear bumper is also 16".

The original axle was really heavy duty. I'm sure the new axle assembly is 20 pounds lighter. The lug nut pattern is exactly the same as the 13" wheels, so that gives me 3 spares (5 on 4 1/2). All the parts for the straight axle came to $125. The wheels and tires were just over $400.

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR
Hmm. Good to know. I was looking at 3500 lb springs, but those I think would be too stiff if you are using 2000 and are happy with the performance. Thanks for the info!
Rpryor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #20
Member
 
Rpryor3's Avatar
 
Name: Raymond
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster
California
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky 4 View Post
You said your wife made curtains and blinds. I am wondering what kind of blinds do you have?
I can't figure out a way to attach blinds-metal around the window is to narrow for the brackets.
Thought about attaching a wood piece on the window frame and then attach blinds and curtains to that.
Any help or ideas appreciated.
Mrs.C
I should have said shades. We have the old school pull down shades that roll back up when you tug them. So she just made a extra tall curtain and I stapled it to the wood roller of the shade. Actual blinds would be nice.
__________________

Rpryor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trails West Campster KevinSteele General Chat 13 05-12-2011 10:59 PM
Trails West Campster David Morgan Classified Archives 6 04-04-2010 10:58 AM
Trails West Campster Bobbie Mayer General Chat 32 07-04-2007 04:18 PM
Trails West Campster gerry gregory Classified Archives 2 08-01-2006 10:35 AM
Trails West Campster Sherry Stephens Classified Archives 0 01-01-1970 12:00 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×