Hello We are Bryan and Becca - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-01-2015, 10:31 AM   #1

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Scamp
Northern California
Hello We are Bryan and Becca

Hello we are Bryan and Becca. We are new Happy Scampers with a recently purchased 1998 13 footer. We live in a small town in the Sierra Nevadas and are planning a week long camping/surfing trip at San Clemente State Beach over Thanksgiving.

I have already learned quite a lot from this site, but still have a laundry list of questions that I will post separately; don't worry, none of them have to do with how to hook up a washing machine.

Thanks in advance for your help. I am definitely eggcited for this new, fun chapter in our lives, Bryan
HAPPYSCAMPER76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:41 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Welcome to the group. We camp there often and I can warn you that if you don't already have reservations, it may be impossible at this late date.

As a back-up, try the San Mateo Creek State Park, it's at the edge of Camp Pendleton a few more miles down the coast, close to Trestles Beach. Another nearby possibility is Casper's Regional Park, on Hiway 74, just east of San Juan Capistrano.

SoCal's weather this week is still in the 80's so there will be a lot of campers headed out to the beaches. In any event, don't head down here without reservations somewhere.

BTW: As it's new to you, did you check the age dates on those tires? They could be well overage (7+ yeasr) and may not be safe for the trip.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:49 PM   #3

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Scamp
Northern California
Thanks for the reply Bob, we are up in a little town called Arnold, on the HWY 4 corridor, near Big Trees State Park.

We luckily already have reservations. We were planning on just tenting it, then bought the Scamp, partially for this trip.

I was reading posts about people changing their tires about every 3 years, made me wonder about mine. They look good and have plenty of tread, but as the posts suggest, that does not mean much. The only thing I see that suggest a date on the tire says 0910. Could that be September 2010?
HAPPYSCAMPER76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:00 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPYSCAMPER76 View Post
Thanks for the reply Bob, we are up in a little town called Arnold, on the HWY 4 corridor, near Big Trees State Park.

We luckily already have reservations. We were planning on just tenting it, then bought the Scamp, partially for this trip.

I was reading posts about people changing their tires about every 3 years, made me wonder about mine. They look good and have plenty of tread, but as the posts suggest, that does not mean much. The only thing I see that suggest a date on the tire says 0910. Could that be September 2010?
Actually the ninth week of 2010 (so Feb 2010 if my math is right) See this as well as other references.
Three years is really conservative. Five to seven seems to be in the ballpark of the consensuses. If it were me I would just add tire replacement to my to-do list for the winter months.
If they have been protected from the sun's rays then I would be less concerned. If they sat in the sun all day I would be more concerned. If their pressure was lowered and the trailer was on jacks when stored I would be less worried. If not, more..
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #5

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Welcome, Bryan and Becca,
Congrats on the Scamp! And moving up from a tent, which many of us have done. You will so glad of the change.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:36 AM   #6

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
If anyone owning a Scamp has a loose or missing rivet, missing cap, it's super easy to fix. Get a pull rivet puller, and a assortment of rivets, collars, and caps from Scamp. Drill out any rivet with a #30 drill, and put in the new rivet, have someone push on the finish nut from the inside, pull the rivet, done! Remember also to use Butyl tape on any rivet that may allow water to intrude. Very easy job!
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:49 PM   #7

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Come on Cathi you don't like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
Welcome, Bryan and Becca,
Congrats on the Scamp! And moving up from a tent, which many of us have done. You will so glad of the change.
Quote: the rocks, tree stumps, bees, snakes, bears, the odd mountain lion, oh the joys that I Miss when not sleeping on the ground. Now I camp in a 26' MH and really enjoy it more when I cannot sleep at night so get up and go into galley to read for hours. Next day I'm so tired my wife has to drive then I sleep way better and she likes it that way as no back seat driver then.
Stude.
stude is offline   Reply With Quote