Hello - we are getting a Lil Snoozy! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #1

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Lil Snoozy "Marigold"
Alabama
Hello - we are getting a Lil Snoozy!

After reading and learning so much on this website, Lee and I went to SC and visiting the Lil Snoozy factory. Richard Mickle, Alan Smoak, and Nicholas Smoak all welcomed us and we had a blast! Alan has so much knowledge and talks a mile a minute. Although Nicholas is not directly in the company anymore, he was there and told us all about designing the unit. After getting all the information (given in a folksy country but knowledgeable way), Lee and I silently looked at each other and Lee pulled out his checkbook! Expected delivery is about 3-4 weeks. We are completely new to this activity and will be asking people for advice along the way.

First question: someone mentioned somewhere about when they picked up their Snoozy, they camped nearby for a couple of days to check it out before heading home. Since we live about 250 miles away, this seems like a good idea. Can someone recommend a good campground near St. Matthews? I see ones on the web, but personal recommendation is always better. I have never been in an RV campground and have no criteria by which to judge one. Can anyone advise us? Thanks.
Melanie B in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Congratulations!
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #3

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the unit.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for you!

Suggestion: get yourself a journal and write down info regarding any camp spots you stay at, impressions, the fun stuff and the funny stuff that happened. Further down the road, when you're no longer goin'... you can relive a lot of those memories. It won't take much to bring a twinkle to your eye and a smile to your lips.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Good journal idea Donna. We've been doing it for 13 years. Beyond the memories it helps others with camping suggestions and us on trips years later.

Ginny also uses it to add neat local restaurants and the like.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Santee State park is nice. It is a couple of miles off I-95 on the lake at Santee SC. I'm guessing it's about 30 miles away. ( Please verify.)
Eddie
Lake Marion South Carolina - Santee State Park Camping - Santee State Park
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #7

Alabama
A journal is a good idea. For years I have kept a garden journal (now multiple volumes) because I early on discovered it was impossible to remember all that was planted and where, etc. I enjoy flipping back through pages and the years to see what I was thinking about for the garden. Camping will be the same type of thing - writing down impressions of good and bad, etc. Thanks for suggesting it.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #8

Name: Loren and Debbie
Trailer: In the market
Arkansas
There is a small park only about 5 miles from the factory. Can't remember the name but Alan will stear you in the right direction. We stayed for one night then went back to the factory the next day to have them finish a few things. It costs about $20 a night I think.
Loren and Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #9

Name: Susie
Trailer: 2012 Lil Snoozy #151 - sold in 2018
Arizona
Registry
Snoozy

Congratulations, Melanie & Lee! You should be able to get in some good camping before cold weather hits, and then take it to Lake M. for bird watching come cold weather. Maybe we will see you at the Osprey Nest Campground. Three to four weeks sounds like a pretty quick delivery, but might make it iffy for the rally near Cherokee, NC.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Some of the previous new owners camped at the place in Sweet Water, SC.

Congratulations.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #11

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I don't recall the name of the place right now, but I camped there after picking up my Hauley. From the factory, you have to drive about a mile west to the highway, there you turn south and go about 5 miles to a corner with a gas station, and turn west. Then it's just a short distance, maybe 1/4 mile, to a gravel road to the right, and the CG is a hundred yards up this road on the right side . There's a pond right there, easily visible from the road. The place looks nice and is totally un-crowded. $20 on the honor system. Only negative is the cockroaches I saw in the dilapidated restroom, so plan on using the Snoozy's bathroom.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #12

Alabama
Mike - I think that is the Sweetwater Lake Campground. Apparently you were there this year, so the conditions you state are probably the same. It will only be for one night and sounds like a good opportunity to use that Snoozy bathroom (cockroaches and bedbugs are not on my favorites list). Were the water and electric hookups okay? Do we need cash for the $20 (do you mean there was no owner or staff there?)?
Old 09-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #13

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Yup, that's the place. I never had occasion to try the hookups, sorry. There was no owner about when I stayed; some other camper told me that there was a death in the family and they were gone for the day because of it. I just stuck my $20 bill in the lock box, nothing more to it. Very informal. The owners do have a house at the far end of the CG.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #14

Alabama
Thanks - we will probably give it a try. I have never set foot in an RV or tent campground, so new experience is in store for us. My husband used to camp in the Army (different situation - they carried guns!) and then with the Scouts with our sons. My camping experience ended with the Holiday Inn! Never too old - I hope.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #15

Name: Keith
Trailer: Not yet
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie B in NC View Post
After reading and learning so much on this website, Lee and I went to SC and visiting the Lil Snoozy factory. Richard Mickle, Alan Smoak, and Nicholas Smoak all welcomed us and we had a blast! Alan has so much knowledge and talks a mile a minute. Although Nicholas is not directly in the company anymore, he was there and told us all about designing the unit. After getting all the information (given in a folksy country but knowledgeable way), Lee and I silently looked at each other and Lee pulled out his checkbook! Expected delivery is about 3-4 weeks. We are completely new to this activity and will be asking people for advice along the way.

First question: someone mentioned somewhere about when they picked up their Snoozy, they camped nearby for a couple of days to check it out before heading home. Since we live about 250 miles away, this seems like a good idea. Can someone recommend a good campground near St. Matthews? I see ones on the web, but personal recommendation is always better. I have never been in an RV campground and have no criteria by which to judge one. Can anyone advise us? Thanks.
Will you share how you ordered it? What lay out and options?

Thanks
Flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #16

Alabama
I will try to say what we ordered - everything seemed to be moving so fast and Alan, Nicholas, Richard, and my husband were all talking a mile a minute (I guess I was running my mouth also) that it all seems a blur. We ordered an extra picture window over the counter and an extra window over the bed to get cross-ventilation and make everything lighter. This was the layout Susie in Oak Ridge has and it impressed me. We got the mag wheels and spare tire. We got the generator bracket but are going to buy the actual Honda generator in nearby Wake Forest from a Honda dealer as he will be available for any warranty and service issues (talked to him yesterday). We got the microwave mounted and wired with separate breaker. Finally we decided on the Thetford Cassette Toiled mounted and plumbed instead of the standard Thetford port-a-potty.

There are other options we did not choose - hope we made the right choices for us. We paid a deposit (they are asking 25% down now - a bit more than before, but it is all the same in the long run). I was not prepared for quite that much and they gave me a break as it is a new policy, but in the future that is what they will be asking for an order. However, these men seem to be very customer oriented and will work with you so that everyone leaves happy.

Oh - I forgot they include a great mattress and bedding (comforter, bottom queen sheet, 2 pillows, and bed curtains they made from the top sheet). They also include a portable 2 burner electric hot plate, AC, ceramic heater, and hot water heater.

We signed a contract and paid a deposit. Alan estimated 3 weeks, but I really expect it to be longer. This weekend they are attending a show in Greensboro and are hoping for a lot of orders there. By getting our order in this week, we are supposed to be ahead of folks ordering at the show.

Yesterday we went shopping and bought things like hitch lock, towels, a few glasses and bowls, kitchen things (chopping board, knife, etc). It is exciting (like furnishing a new house on a tiny scale), but I am restraining myself to see what is really needed over time as my motto is to be as minimal as possible - I don't like spending a lot of time taking care of "stuff". This is going to be fun. Today is my birthday and my husband says the Snoozy is my present (a pretty good present!).
Old 09-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
EXCELLENT present! Fun times ahead.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #18

Name: Keith
Trailer: Not yet
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie B in NC View Post
I will try to say what we ordered - everything seemed to be moving so fast and Alan, Nicholas, Richard, and my husband were all talking a mile a minute (I guess I was running my mouth also) that it all seems a blur. We ordered an extra picture window over the counter and an extra window over the bed to get cross-ventilation and make everything lighter. This was the layout Susie in Oak Ridge has and it impressed me. We got the mag wheels and spare tire. We got the generator bracket but are going to buy the actual Honda generator in nearby Wake Forest from a Honda dealer as he will be available for any warranty and service issues (talked to him yesterday). We got the microwave mounted and wired with separate breaker. Finally we decided on the Thetford Cassette Toiled mounted and plumbed instead of the standard Thetford port-a-potty.

There are other options we did not choose - hope we made the right choices for us. We paid a deposit (they are asking 25% down now - a bit more than before, but it is all the same in the long run). I was not prepared for quite that much and they gave me a break as it is a new policy, but in the future that is what they will be asking for an order. However, these men seem to be very customer oriented and will work with you so that everyone leaves happy.

Oh - I forgot they include a great mattress and bedding (comforter, bottom queen sheet, 2 pillows, and bed curtains they made from the top sheet). They also include a portable 2 burner electric hot plate, AC, ceramic heater, and hot water heater.

We signed a contract and paid a deposit. Alan estimated 3 weeks, but I really expect it to be longer. This weekend they are attending a show in Greensboro and are hoping for a lot of orders there. By getting our order in this week, we are supposed to be ahead of folks ordering at the show.

Yesterday we went shopping and bought things like hitch lock, towels, a few glasses and bowls, kitchen things (chopping board, knife, etc). It is exciting (like furnishing a new house on a tiny scale), but I am restraining myself to see what is really needed over time as my motto is to be as minimal as possible - I don't like spending a lot of time taking care of "stuff". This is going to be fun. Today is my birthday and my husband says the Snoozy is my present (a pretty good present!).
Those are the same options I am considering, the only thing I am looking at is the side awning. I wasn’t sold on the mags but they are less weight so Alan steered me that direction. Did you add an outside 110 outlet? I was going to do that on the kitchen window side. Also another question, I heard they now come standard with the rear bumper? Did you see or hear that?

Thanks,
Keith
Flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #19

Alabama
Keith - no one said anything about extra outlets. What would you use it for?

Also - no mention of a rear bumper. Looking at a picture of the Snoozy on a brochure we have and remembering the actual unit, I cannot imagine a bumper. Would it interfere with the step stool or the door?

Next week I will be calling them with a couple of other questions and will ask about a bumper.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #20

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Here's the rear bumper:

Rear Bumper

Watch Your Step

Mine was optional.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote