Hello we are the Schafers Randy & Sandy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #1

Name: Randy & Sandy
Trailer: Compact Jr
Michigan
Registry
Hello we are the Schafers Randy & Sandy

We are the new co-owners of a 1972 Compact Jr. Our daughter purchased this and hubby and I are storing it, and investing time and money to remodel for our part of the trailer! We will probably use the trailer way more than our daughter and her family, they have a large trailer on a seasonal lot. We have wanderlust and dreams! Thus the name Dream Shack! Oh, we also have 36 years of camping experience, but never in something this small. We figured it was time to simplify!

Hubby and I are self employed, and do Internet resales, we are both old enough to know better, but still young enough to try new crazy things, 62 & 61. We are parents to 3 grown and married children, and two fabulous little grandsons! We live in Battle Creek, Mi with our two Great Danes/Furry 4 footed children. They will camp with us in the trailer, OK this is where you laugh your self funny! Hubby wanted to call the trailer the mobile dog house, but I said NO! There will be times the dogs, Kylee and Dozer go to the Bed & Biscuit and let Mom & Dad relax! So if you see a little fiberglass Compact Jr. pull up and to gigantic dogs jump out, it is probably us!!

We are working on a shake down camp coming up on October 5th, 2012 with our two daughters families. That way if we have little tweaks or fixs they will have what I forgot to pack, or they can help us fix it! In all reality, I will probably be the one with the stuff they forgot, and hubby will fix whatever is wrong!

We look forward to chatting with you all! Hubby is already hooked on all the information. Starting early next spring we hope to catch up with a few of you at some get-togethers!

Looking forward to making the Dreams come true!!
Sandy & Randy Schafer
Randy Schafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #2

Name: Tania
Trailer: Newbie owners of TrailMite
Oregon
Registry
Welcome Randy & Sandy! I am pretty new to this as well. We bought ours in August and it is a total fixer up 1972 13' Trailmite. This site as been a great help to us and the people are hilarious and full of fun ideas. We live in Oregon with our 2 Bernese Mt dogs, so we know what it is like to share space and camp with big dogs. Have fun on your new adventures!!
TaniaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Welcome! There are lots of owners of fiberglass trailers in the upper midwest, especially in Michigan. There are numerous get-to-gethers in Michigan and Indiana during the year, so keep checking on where the next one will be held. I know the annual Indiana Fish Fry in May is a big draw! And we had a great rally with about 25 units at the Algonac State Park just north of Detroit the first weekend of September this year.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Schafer View Post
......they will have what I forgot to pack,
Hi Sandy and Randy, we're glad you're here.

Love your introduction, all I can tell you is the first time I took my trailer out, I forgot my toothbrush! If you do too, maybe you can share with family
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #5

Michigan
Registry
Tania.....Thanks for the welcome. With the King Size bed in the trailer, we know we will all fit! Lol

Kevin.....Thanks, the fish fry sounds great! We love Algonac, use to live in Port Huron and watch the ships. That one will certainly be on our list of must do's!!

Donna.... The toothbrush's are already in the ziplock bathroom bag!! But it's the stupid stuff I forget!! I am the Queen of Lists, if it is on there it will go!! Thanks for the welcome!

Sandy
Old 09-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome. What a great idea sharing a trailer. It can be hard to justify owning one just for an occasional trip, sharing it is a great way to share with the kids.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #7

Michigan
Registry
Tom.....Thanks for the welcome! It was a suprise for us to be included in the trailer. But we have the time, the space, and the knowledge to redo this little gem! Plus our kids knew how much we missed camping regularly, so its a great fit! They will use it occasionally, they don't have a vehicle to pull their big trailer. So now they can hit the road when they want to get away to a different place!

I did put an album up of the Dream Shack. It shows you what we have accomplished in the last month!! You will probably hear from me more than hubby, he is more of a reader and doer! I am the forum person and can type circles around him. I am sure he will put his 2 cents in from time to time!

Sandy
Old 09-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Love the new cushion upholstery! Cheery
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #9

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Welcome to Fiberglass, I know you will love the trailer, Linda and I live in Coldwater Mi, 30 miles south of you, if you need anything let me know.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #10

Michigan
Registry
Roger.....Thank You for the Welcome. If you are in Coldwater then you are probably familiar with the park we will be staying at for our 1st outing, Pottawatamie. We have camped there the last couple years with our daughters families, who both have seasonals. Our grandsons and all the other little ones will be celebrating Halloween that weekend.....lots of fun!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #11

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Oh yes, my brothers father in law used to own it, it is only 6 miles from my house.
The trailer looks wounderful, nice job!
The pine trees, at one time were going to be christmas trees, Walt crawled on his hands and knees to cut the ones out that he needed out, both of his feet were broken, to make the park.
That was in 1967 or 68.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Schafer View Post
We are the new co-owners of a 1972 Compact Jr.
Welcome from one Compact Jr. owner to another!
Mine is a 1971 serial number 0037. Right now mine is totally stripped down into it's component parts. I just installed a new 2200 Lb capacity axle with brakes as my goal is to make it tow-able by a smaller tow vehicle. Apparently 2200 pounds is the smallest axle with brakes you can get here in California. I did keep it as a leaf spring suspension, however.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #13

Michigan
Registry
Roger......what great info! We will share that story around the campfire this coming weekend!

Frederick.....Serial number 0653 here, made December of 71. Good luck with the new axle and brakes, since we are hauling Dream Shack with a full size GMC van, no worries at this time. But that could change down the road!!

Sandy & Randy
Old 10-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #14

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp 1981 16 foot
Michigan
Welcome Guys, I just joined the "Eggs" in April. I have a 1981 vintage Scamp 16 foot and a 19 foot Scamp 5th wheel that I'm working on and will sell soon. we have a lot of members in Michigan. Anything you need to ask, buy, sell barder or just need info on is right here in this site. Its one big family. Happy camping.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #15

Michigan
Registry
Scott....Thanks! Hubby has been scouring through all the forums and has been learning lots on the care, upkeep, etc. etc. on the small fiberglass trailer!!