HELP! New Boler 1700-78 Owners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2020, 01:47 PM   #1

Name: Lucy
Trailer: Boler 1700-78
Ontario
HELP! New Boler 1700-78 Owners

Hi
We just bought our first trailer - a Boler 1700 from 1978 - which we're giving a little refresh before a 6 month road trip Fall 2021.

Sadly we received very limited information about her from the previous owners as there was a language barrier and they hadn't owned it long.
After lots of digging around online I've found the manual however we've got a few issues/questions and are hoping for your advice!

Dometic RM360 Fridge Won't Light
The previous owner said they got it lit and had frozen ice to prove it however we haven't had any luck lighting it in gas mode, even after lighting the stove first. Not sure where is the access to try lighting it with a match is.

Furnace
We lit the pilot on the furnace however the flame isn't increasing and after 30-60 mins. the metal box the encloses the pilot flame can be touched with your hand. In contrast the hot water heater flame got very big so we don't think the flame is increasing.

Oven
We got the stove top working and oven pilot lit however the oven's burner (?) doesn't ignite from the pilot to produce more heat. We tried lighting the burner directly, adjusting the oven temperature and closing the oven door and leaving it for a while.

Water Tanks
Does anyone know the capacity of the fresh, grey and black water tanks?
Is there a way to gauge their fullness included or as a modification? The manual says to dump the black water tank at 3/4 full but how would I know when that is?

Electrical System
Okay this is a bit broad. I see there is an electrical box and have a vague idea of what it does (converting shore power to 12 volts??) but we're hoping to add solar and battery power to the trailer. Does this existing system provide any benefit to a new solar battery system or should we remove it and build our new system from scratch?

Any tips and information would be greatly appreciated as we embark on getting this camper all ready for our big trip!
* Don't worry - my position is R&D (Research & Decorating lol) my partner Matt is the handy one

Thank you!
Lucy & Matt
Muskoka, Ontario
Lucy.Muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:14 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Typically a 42 year old power center is destined for replacement. Read up the various threads on replacement power centers, I put a PD4135 into my 1977 Trillium 1300 (smaller trailer). New system from scratch? Not really. Mine continues to use most of the wiring that was original to the trailer, except for the power center, lighting, and a few other upgrades. LED lights for the WIN.

#1 tip for anyone new is to click on the manufacturers tab on the upper right, and then select Boler. There you will find hundreds of threads on Bolers.

#2 tip is to use google for your searches on this forum. Assume just about every question you might have about a Boler has been answered in the past.

#3 tip is to assume you will find some leaks, and you will need to do maintenance. Realize the trailer is 42 years old. These molded FG trailers are remarkable, but still require maintenance. Sadly, most maintenance I have seen is "failure" maintenance. Only after something breaks, does it sometimes get attention.

#4 tip is most of the systems are not unique to Bolers. The various brands all used appliances from a small handful of manufacturers. So a search on those manufacturers, rather than on Bolers in particular, can be useful.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:07 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Congratulations on your Boler 1700! We have a 1979 Boler 1700.

Concerning the Dometic RM360 fridge, I managed to get ours running in propane mode this year (after owning four years and only using 110 VAC mode). Suggestions:

- download the manual here:
http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.co...structions.pdf
- to light the burner directly, remove the exterior lower fridge vent panel, remove the burner cover (bottom right corner)
- the burner will produce a steady blue flame 3/4" diameter, 1/2" high
- no electric power is needed to run the RM360 in propane mode

I replaced the 40 year converter with a Progressive Dynamics PD4135. The converter provides convenient AC and DC power when shore power is available. When off grid, battery power coupled with solar panels and a solar charge controller is a good solution. In addition, when off grid the 12 VDC fuse panel built into the PD4135 distributes battery power to, and protects each DC circuit.

We removed the propane range/oven and the furnace so I can't comment on those. Just recently installed a Propex HS2800 furnace and love it.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:50 AM   #4

Name: Lucy
Trailer: Boler 1700-78
Ontario
Thank you John & Bill for your prompt replies!

I would keep the original wiring and just change out the charge controller and expand upon it for solar & battery.
I noticed on the tongue we have some wires coming out of the trailer - are these for attaching to a battery which would sit on the tongue beside the propane tanks? They're just coiled up there.

I will definitely dig deeper on here and look for other people's electrical retrofits :)

Thanks again!
Lucy
Lucy.Muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:57 AM   #5

Michigan
Registry
If there are two wires (1 black, 1 white) coiled up on the tongue, those are probably for a tongue mounted battery. On my Boler 17, those wires were on the tongue as well as an old battery when I bought the camper.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:03 AM   #6

Michigan
Registry
On my Boler 17, I have had to repair or replace much of the wiring. The Boler 17 wiring, as with most travel trailers, is of three types:

- wiring attached to the tow vehicle while towing for towing lights, brakes, battery charger wire

- wiring for 12 volts lights and accessories used while camping

- wiring for 110 volt AC shore power, converter and outlets used while camping
Old 11-06-2020, 01:27 PM   #7

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Ontario
Fridge lighting

I had a hard time lighting my fridge too. Apparently, those peizo-electric starters (like on a BBQ) often die at a young age. I had to remove the protective panel from the pilot light area and light it with a flame whilst holding down the propane control button. (there are three on/off controls... one for AC, one for DC, and one for propane). To use the propane control, you need to turn the knob to max and then push it in and hold it until the flame catches. It takes a long time to catch, even after running the propane through the stove.
I hope this helps.
Scamper Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:30 AM   #8

Name: Mark
Trailer: Boler 1700
ON
Hi We just bought a 1980 Boler 1700 from Tobermory. We live in Oro Station just south of Orillia. We are currentlyncompleting a complete refresh of the boler.
Hope to see you around.
Mark
BolerMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler