Help....seller wants to back out after all this...!! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As I mentioned on the other thread, fixers, such as this appeared to be, if you don't have the tools and skill sets to do all of your own repair work, can and will get very expensive before all is done.

Unless one is not at least three of the following: painter, carpenter, electrician, plumber, mechanic or a seamstress, a fixer may not be the answer for a limited budget. That Fiberstream may need $1000's in repairs before it is safe to move out of your driveway.

Oregon can be very hard on rigs that are not properly cared for, winterized, covered or sealed up in the occasional (?) rain or just plain unused for an extended period.

As it is from an area that gets winter freezes, think just about the cost of replacing cracked plumbing if it wasn't properly winterized, or the cost of a new refrigerator or new holding tanks.

I suspect this is just a blessing in disguise and that the seller may have had a sudden pang of guilt and didn't want you to buy it for good reasons.

Better the seller gets stuck with it than the buyer.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Except on Uhauls, their bumper is aluminum!

We're talking about a Fiberstream, but what the hey...if the bumper's aluminum, copper, gold, platinum, or any other non-ferrous metal:

Duct tape a piece of steel to it first.

Same goes for plastic bumpers. Have I missed any other possibilities???

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Francesca

"Super Glue?"
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #24

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Since he says he's willing to work with you on this, there are ways to negotiate an acceptable deal. If you really want the trailer, make the drive, but first send him a deposit. If you both use Pay-pal you can do that and still be on the road tomorrow. If not a moneygram or Cash & Go store will do the transaction. Just consider the drive an adventure vacation. You can call ahead and find someone in Medford that will pack the bearings when you get there. $10 tow light pkg as others recommended and you're on your way home with no regrets. If you're paying a fair price given the condition, anything can be fixed. If its not offered at a fair price, then just don't do the deal.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #25

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

We're talking about a Fiberstream...

Francesca
For the record, original Fiber Stream "bumpers" were made out of Fiberglass. I say "bumper" in quotes because it is nothing more than a curved panel that hides the Black Tank from view. Quite a few go missing by the time they reach current seniority. When I bought mine, it had a 2" x 4" x 6' piece of Douglas Fir wood as a bumper substitute.

Duck Tape is your friend!
Old 05-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #26

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
I call BULLSPIT!

If you paid for the Inspection than you're more invested here and may need to mull over how much more do you invest into this transaction. However, if he paid the inspection and is now backing out...walk away...no skip merrily away Grateful that he saved you alot of further aggravation.
From the beginning, you had a gut feeling that maybe this wasn't the trailer for you. Intuition is not to be ignored. We all cheered you on because it sounded as if you were scared and not up for the renovation...Ultimately you can't make any final deal until you see the vehicle.

This is what I'd be happy about:
You now have a nice brandspanking new receiver hitch and tow ball.
You also still have cash waiting to plunk down on the right trailer.
You now have accumulated quite a bit of knowledge on FBGRV's.
You've got access to expertise here at the click of a button.

I don't think anything in life should be this challenging. I'd take it as a sign and don't walk away mad....just walk away. Sometimes the mind likes to spin us in circles that what we can't have is more important than what we deserve.
IMHO...There's not such a shortage as you think...Seems I've noticed more trailers for sale in the past couple of months since I bought mine!
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #27

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Well, your tug is now ready for the next one, so you can buy it and pick it up right away.

Sorry for the loss.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #28

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Agreed! The market seems crowed this year, and prices are falling. Your perfect trailer may be the next one you find. The search is part of the fun. I am constantly looking, and I have four. Maybe more, if the deal looks really good.
I think the seller is doing you a favor. Get the details of why he is backing out, but, like everyone is suggesting, it is probably because the trailer has too many problems to tow. Probably something serious. If it was just lights, the owner would probably take care of that and complete the transaction. If it requires an off the frame restore, do you really want that kind of pain?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #29

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oh man gailanne, BUMMER. Please keep this in mind.... things happen for a reason, seriously.

This, for whatever reason, was NOT meant to be your trailer. Whether something comes around shortly, none of us has a crystal ball. But now you're set when it does.

I've found when conditions weren't turning out the way I wanted/expected and I FORCED the issue... I've always gotten burned. I'm slowly starting to pay attention. Disappointment... for certain. But better to be disappointed than suffer consequences that were unforseen initially.

Best of luck, we're all pulling for you and a future egg.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #30

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Did you check out here:
Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
There is a pulldown for Canadian trailers for sale.
OOOOps... U.S. ones as well

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #31

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Bob, gailanne is in California
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #32

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry

Yeah, Bob- what's up??? Are you just tryin' to torture Gailanne???

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #33

Name: William E.
Trailer: "Investigating for Retirement"
Texas
well the changes you made to your tow vehicle will be done for the next unit you find. if he is trying to bait and switch you, that is your call, I would be very concerned as to his intent and would probably move on... other units will come around or figure a way where it a win win situation for both of you it is your call. but do not let them try and bull dog over you, be careful on your decision and do not let the decision be made in the heat of the moment - I would rather pay a bit more money for a better unit that is more reliable. bit concerned - his repairs, repacking bearings is a small cost option unless totally destroyed. wiring problems can be expensive. what do you really know as to what it really needs that he would not be willing to drive it for delivery - that red flag would scare me lots - think about it - maybe save up some more money and get something better - good luck - take your time you will be happier in the long run - at least I hope so
web3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #34

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Have I missed any other possibilities???
Zip Ties work too.

gailanne,

I've had a seller change thier mind and send my deposit back. I was PO'd initially but am now happy with the way things worked out. I ended up with a trailer that has features better suited to our current needs.

As others have said $170 for an inspection is worth more than packing bearings and a temporary light fix. A fiberstream is a tandem axle so there are 2 more sets of bearings. There might be something the seller is not telling you.

Some options you might want to consider is piggyback the fiberstream on a flatbed trailer or try uship. But we don't know where the trailer is and where it has to go.

The simple thing is to ask the seller what the problem really is, have potential solutions ready and be ready to move on to another trailer. They come up more frequently than you think.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:43 AM   #35

Name: Tim
Trailer: Homebuilt Teardrop
Minnesota
Quote:
You put them on the steel bumper.

Francesca
Thanks. I learn something new every day. Have a great day!
TPMcGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #36

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
He may have a POS trailer that is in rough shape (problems you don't know about), and as you communicated he got to liking you and couldn't bring himself to stick you with the junker.

Suing for damages based on detrimental reliance might have some merit, but the problem is that you would have needed to invest in your tow vehicle in order to buy any trailer. Probably not worth the trouble.

It hurts to lose out on something you wanted, but chin up, you'll find something else. It's just a thing. Another trailer will show up!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #37

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
We had scedualed a cruise for months in advance but saw our Fiberstream for sale six days before we left. We made a fast trip north to secure the sale in time and get back in time to pack. We just got home from our cruise and now we get to focus on our trailer. Follow the advance of the other posters and be ready to jump when it comes up. They go really fast. Now that your tow rig is ready, you can be ready too. There were two other buyers waiting in the wings for our trailer if we hadn't gotten it so we felt very lucky even if the timing wasn't perfect we think the deal was.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #38

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Let me see if I understand the basic facts:
Selller was going to drive part way to meet you.
Selller had inspection and then backed out of the deal.

No idea of "personal" motivations but sounds like seller found out cost of getting it road worthy to drive part way was going to cut way into sale price.

Repack of good bearings is not expensive, but replacement of 4 might be a few bucks, What about tire age? Might have been told all four tires were not road worthy due to age or dry rot. Bearings and Tires would be a fairly significant chunk of money out of the already agreed on price.

Dual axel trailer without brakes is a little iffy too, so if inspection turned up totally rusted brakes that would be even more loss from the sale price.

AND most important seller has to shell this money out of pocket BEFORE getting paid the sale price. Might not have the funds available.

If I wanted to continue to pursue the deal I would find out the cost of tires, bearings, and brakes. And cost of magnetic tail light rig. Contact the seller and ask point blank if the problem is cost of getting trailer road worthy to meet you. If it is find out what seller believes needs to be done.

Now comes the dicker and deal part. Will seller reduce price to accomadate those required repairs if you drive there to take delivery? You are going to pay for the repairs and do all the driving so price should be reduced. Since you will have already explored the cost of most likely problems (bearings,tires,brakes and lights) you will have an idea of a fair price reduction.

If seller is not willing, then they probably have a better offer. Or is trying to jerk you around on the price. Time to let it go, they keep the trailer and the bad karma.

If price reduction is agreed to then insist on one escape clause, that seller email the list of items that seller states require repair and that inspection by repair facility confirms that list as being the only repairs required to be road worthy. And subject to inspection by purchaser that trailer is in condition acceptable to purchaser.

If seller agrees in written email then send $20 to seal the deal. If not would you buy a used car that dealer would not allow you to inspect and have car looked over by a mechanic? If seller is willing to agree to reduced price but not inspection it's clearly time to write it off.

You and seller go to shop where repairs are going to be made, they look it over if it's good then seller gets money you get title and you pay to get it repaired.

Worst case your out a trip, $20 and maybe the cost of the inspection. But bearings, tires, suspension and brake inspection should not be even an hours labor.
OR
At one of several points along the way you find out this seller is not really on the up and up so just walk away. Knowing you are probably dodging an unpleasant experience.

Trust your instincts more than your emotions when dealing with money and stangers. Instincts that something is "not quite right" are always based on something, even if you have no idea what it is.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #39

Name: gailanneM
Trailer: Bigfoot 25' and previously, 17' Burro
Washington
Wow. Good advice. Thank you for taking the time & effort to put it all down like that. I will read & re-read it several times! Thanks again!
gailanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #40

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
nail em