Hey from New Orleans - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-24-2021, 06:56 PM   #1

Name: Rick
Trailer: shopping
Louisiana
Cool Hey from New Orleans

I'm Rick Olivier, photographer/musician in New Orleans. Owned and renovated a '69 Airstream Safari for about 15 years when my kid was growing. I grew tired of the 4K lbs towing and have my eye on a Rockwood Geo Pro once I "semi-retire" in a couple of years. I really like the light weight and new features fiberglass trailers offer. Naturally, I'm outdoors when the sun is shining! Made a killer pot of jambalaya for my kid's "care pkg" when she returns to college in a couple weeks. Love me some gardening (collards, mustards, are booming right now), cooking, and cycling.

my photography: www.rickolivier.com

my music: www.creolestringbeans.com

cheers!

R
Rick O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:38 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Rick! Totally with you on the desire to go small!

Just a heads-up on this particular forum. It’s not clear from the site name, but we are focused on molded fiberglass trailers. They’re the (often but not exclusively) egg-shaped trailers made by spraying fiberglass into trailer-sized molds for a largely seam-free, self-supporting shell.

Geo Pro appears to be assembled from laminated panels with a fiberglass skin, but I could be wrong.

The smallest molded fiberglass trailers include Scamp, Happier Camper, Relic, Armadillo, Gobe, and Outback. If you go a bit larger, there is Casita, Escape, Oliver, Snoozy, and Bigfoot. And if you go vintage there are dozens of out-of-production makes. The “Manufacturers” tab lists many of then.

We have a 13’ Scamp, with a 6.5’x10’ cabin that sleeps four (or two plus a bathroom if desired). Fun little trailer! Scamp also makes a 16’ trailer and a 19’ fifth wheel style.

Best wishes in your new adventure!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:59 AM   #3

Name: Rick
Trailer: shopping
Louisiana
Thanks, Jon, I’m also considering Casita & Scamp, they’re hard to find down here, though. 1 year+ waitlist for new, etc. R
Rick O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:21 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You are right on that! Production of molded fiberglass trailers is very limited and not easy to scale up during a boom cycle, which is what RVs are experiencing right now.

I scan the Phoenix Craigslist RV section fairly often. Pages and pages of Class A’s and giant fifth wheels. Very few small towables of any kind.

Best wishes finding something that will work for you!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:24 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Welcome, Rick! Totally with you on the desire to go small!

Just a heads-up on this particular forum. It’s not clear from the site name, but we are focused on molded fiberglass trailers. They’re the (often but not exclusively) egg-shaped trailers made by spraying fiberglass into trailer-sized molds for a largely seam-free, self-supporting shell.

Geo Pro appears to be assembled from laminated panels with a fiberglass skin, but I could be wrong.

The smallest molded fiberglass trailers include Scamp, Happier Camper, Relic, Armadillo, Gobe, and Outback. If you go a bit larger, there is Casita, Escape, Oliver, Snoozy, and Bigfoot. And if you go vintage there are dozens of out-of-production makes. The “Manufacturers” tab lists many of then.

We have a 13’ Scamp, with a 6.5’x10’ cabin that sleeps four (or two plus a bathroom if desired). Fun little trailer! Scamp also makes a 16’ trailer and a 19’ fifth wheel style.

Best wishes in your new adventure!
For the record Happier Camper also build the 17ft HCT
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:00 AM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Florida seems to see a lot of Scamps for sale. Must be the Midwest snow birds that retire or spend a lot of time down there since that brand seems to be the dominant one in the Midwest. Casita seem to be more prevalent toward the west, possibly because they are built in Texas I believe.

Boler I think I see more offered for sale on the west coast, or in Canada. Long trip but with a decent exchange rate it can be an option.

I will tell you if you are not prepared to jump on a molded camper immediately it won't be there for long at all. Not uncommon for a decently priced one to go in a couple or three days. Sometimes within hours.

Do be careful of scams that often ask for larger down payment or offer to deliver it for a "fee". Have been a fair number of ads on places such as Craig's list that are made using copy and paste of photos from legitimate for sale ads.

Good luck in your search, tough time to be buying a camper, demand is high so prices are also high. If your time frame to semi-retired is a few years off it might warrant waiting a for the market to cool off.

The laminated fiberglass panels used in place of metal siding are still "stick built" campers having a frame and covering design. I was told that those with the siding having "ridges" running front to back are using wood framing. While those with smooth sides use aluminum framing. Not sure if that is 100% true but in the few I looked at it seems to be at least a rule of thumb.

Molded trailers are totally different. There is in many cases no framework supporting the walls. Aside from the interior structure of closets and seating which provide support and bracing. The shell is made the way a bathtub surround is made. One or two pieces, which are then joined with fiberglass. Generally it only can leak where holes are put in it for windows and vents. Laminated fiberglass panels used in stick built campers can and do de-laminate. Water can get in behind the wall where the framing is and cause hidden damage.

It should be noted there are molded fiberglass campers with double walls (inner and outer) but even those don't tend to have a frame for support. They might have some wood in between to use as attachment points for screws but I don't think they commonly depend on that wood for structural strength. No expert but based on posts here on restoration and repair projects.

Used prices on molded campers is high, the supply is limited, they last for a long time, if the frame is good and the shell is sound they can be rebuilt for decades. This tends to hold the resale value up. Like a pickup truck in good working order, doesn't matter how old it is, what matters is what condition is it in and how much does it cost to buy an new one that essentially provides the same product.

Hurts when buying, helps when you decide to sell it.

Good luck. I think you would enjoy a molded camper but there are a lot of options out there so find what works for you and enjoy.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote