Heya Gang. I'm Chadster. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-12-2023, 01:31 PM   #1

Name: Chad
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Heya Gang. I'm Chadster.

Happy Sunday to everyone. My name is Chad, or Chadster. I'm brand-spanking-new to RVing. My wife KC and I do quite a bit of traveling, and have spent tons of money on hotels, vrbo's and air bnb's. While I do love the sights and places I've seen doing so, I had a hankering for a different kind of sight-seeing. KC agreed.

I bought a 1983 Scamp 19' Gooseneck a little over a month ago and sadly, my 1998 4-cylinder Ranger was a little too small to pull it. So I bought a 2019 Tacoma a couple weeks ago. Funny stuff... Even explaining my plans to the Sales-person and the Manager, neither disclosed the fact that Tacomas have a plastic bed. It was dusk when I bought it, and I asked the salesperson if it was a bedliner. The salesperson said yes. Oopsie...

Upon discovering this little speedbump, I began my search of aftermarket options for installing a Gooseneck hitch in a Tacoma, and had the wind taken out of my sails almost immediately. Nothing... Blank stares as if I were a crazy person for even submitting the inquiry.

That's where this site comes into the picture. I happened across a few sparse google images of Tacos towing gooseneck scamps. Almost all led me here. Boom.. There was hope.

So last week, I talked to a customer of mine that recently started a fabrication and machine shop. We did some negotiating and hem-hawing, came to an agreement, and in a week I had a hitch. As of yesterday, The Scamp and the Taco became one. So, all of that to say, I have 30 minutes of towing experience, zero rving experience, only one buddy that owns an rv, and a roughly 750 mile trip "planned" for mid April where my wife, my parents and I will moochdock in Central Texas for about 4 days.

Sounds exciting right? I'm stoked.

Anywho, happy to be here, and special thanks to the couple of Crazy Taco guys or gals that led me to the site.
I'll try to post some pics when I get this site figured out.

The Scamp

The Taco

The Monstrosity

The Finished Product
Chadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 03:16 PM   #2

Name: Chad
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Heya I'm Chadster

Heya Gang.

My name is Chadster. I'm brand new to Rving as of yesterday. Introduced myself earlier, but I guess something went wrong.

So, the quick rundown is I recently bought a Scamp 19' Gooseneck, older model. Then I bought a truck, and now I have a trip in mid April. Looking for some pointers as I have almost no friends that own or tow an RV.

Happy to be here.

This is my rig.

Have a nice Sunday.
Chadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:50 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Your Hitch

Hope your Scamp and your Tacoma work out. I will say that your hitch plate looks like she’s built “Hell for stout” as we used to say back in the stock car days. I’d get some paint on everything shortly. Doesn’t have to be pretty but should be durable. I’ve seen some customization on those Scamp 19’s that was pretty nice including a heated floor, custom cherry cabinets, a disassembled outside and then reassembled inside, full sized leather recliner. I could see myself stretched out in that recliner, rain falling outside and Brook Benton doing “Rainy night in Georgia”, on the stereo. Only time I’ve ever had comfort envy. Best of luck.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:00 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Pretty sure there are several threads on how to install the Reese-style hitch in a Tacoma. The google search bar at the top of the page gives good results. I don’t recall seeing any that used as much material as yours.

Meantime, enjoy your new mode of travel and exploration!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote