Hi! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2016, 09:29 PM   #1

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: Skamper
Tennessee
Talking Hi!

Brand new mini RV owner over here! My TV. Is 2002 Saturn Vue V6 with on demand AWD I think we might have killed the transmission by not towing properly.... someone, EDUCATE ME! Thanks in advance!
CrissyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
What were you towing? What does it weigh? Have you read the towing section in your Saturn manual? What are the limits for your tow vehicle? What do you mean, you "think" you ruined the transmission?
Note that your tow vehicle is 14 years old.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:57 AM   #3

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Yes, more information please. Is it a CVT tranny?

According to Edmunds your car has a towing capacity of 1500 lbs, with the note, "** When adequately equipped, which may require engine and/or other drivetrain upgrades." It is best to check the owners manual, as the V6 tow rating might be higher. However, tow ratings involve much more than engine size; things such a brake and suspension.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck on the transmission.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:12 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Elizabeth!

Please do tell us exactly what happened, and what you are towing. "Mini RV" could mean a lot of different things.

Meanwhile, read everything your owner's manual says about towing. How much weight is your vehicle rated to tow? Two additional things to look for relate specifically to the transmission. (1) Is any extra equipment required for towing? Some manufacturers require an optional tow package, which may include added transmission cooling. (2) How should the transmission be used when towing? Some vehicles want you to lock out overdrive when towing.

Best wishes getting this sorted out.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:11 PM   #5

Tennessee
Exclamation update:

Saturn is dead in the water. Transmission shot (yes not enough torque to get into the mountains) no we steered clear of the CVT tranny when we bought it. 1750 later we've replaced the transmission and a few other things. same issue persists, now to deal with the mechanic that supposedly fixed the darn thing. Bonus: got a new big kid toy complete with actual towing package and transmission cooler and hookup for power brakes! edit: mini rv = 1982 skamper tent trailer (30th anniversary edition!)
Old 09-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
So how much does your Skamper weigh, loaded? And what is your new "big kid toy"? By "power brakes" I presume you mean a brake controller connection for electric trailer brakes. Sorry to hear about your ongoing transmission woes with the Saturn.

My family traveled all over North America in a Skamper tent trailer back in the 70's. I think ours was a 1971. Fairly large (slept up to 8) and heavy. We pulled it with a 1968 Dodge Coronet wagon, followed by a 1976 Olds Cutlass wagon, both V8's. Plenty of power, but we had to beef up the rear suspensions to handle the tongue weight (and six of us in the vehicle). Good times!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:59 PM   #7

Tennessee
didn't add much to it and we were told it weighed about 1,000 lbs/when we bought it/ we are the proud 3rd owners of the trailer and it's been a labor of love, so far (most of the interior is original)/as far as the truck is concerned we put a new suspension in it when we bought it in January of 12/It was a fun little truck but a money pit. we now have a giant SUV for a family of 3 and two drooling dogs. I'm happy and ready to figure out what I am going to slip cover all the cushions with
Old 09-30-2016, 01:40 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
15 years on an automatic transmission is a good life for the transmission. Seals and parts inside suffer the ravages of time and the environment they work in. They don't necessarily wear out but will if abused.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #9

Tennessee
that was definitely the error code it was giving, with seals and pressures, but it honestly would have cost us twice as much to have it pulled apart and the seals redone than to just drop another in it. so weird