Hi all! looking for info on towing abilities - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-31-2015, 02:38 AM   #1
wel

Name: Wendy
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Hi all! looking for info on towing abilities

Hello Everyone... finally after 2 years I get my egg!! I just purchased a 1975 Trillium 13'. I have a 2014 vw golf wagon TDI that says 2000 tow capacity. Trailer says 1500 lb capacity...and has brakes. I will clean it up and load up what I need... ( I travel pretty light) and get it scaled to see exactly where I am. My problem is that my drive train warranty will be void if I pull something too heavy... so am looking for some ideas or suggestions - do I go ahead and put a trailer hitch on my vw? or should I buy something else to tow this with like a dodge caravan? - rated 3500 lbs? Thoughts please! Thanks Wendy
wel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:15 AM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
I'd go with towing with something else. We had a 2012 and towed a teardrop. The engine was more than capable but the suspension wasn't up to the task- we would have needed air lifts to stop the hitch bottoming out. We had the hitch installed by the VW dealer. You can get a a European hitch installed which would be better.

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
wel

Ontario
Registry
Thanks... I appreciated your input!
Old 05-31-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wel View Post
Hello Everyone... finally after 2 years I get my egg!! I just purchased a 1975 Trillium 13'. I have a 2014 vw golf wagon TDI that says 2000 tow capacity. Trailer says 1500 lb capacity...and has brakes. I will clean it up and load up what I need... ( I travel pretty light) and get it scaled to see exactly where I am. My problem is that my drive train warranty will be void if I pull something too heavy... so am looking for some ideas or suggestions - do I go ahead and put a trailer hitch on my vw? or should I buy something else to tow this with like a dodge caravan? - rated 3500 lbs? Thoughts please! Thanks Wendy
Hi Wendy. The TDI's have a great reputation here and all over the world when used as TV's. There are a number of them that we know about that are pro set ups and towing trailers much larger than yours. What that means is that your vehicle towing at the max rating is well within it's capabilities with margin to spare.

Good to hear your trailer has brakes so you need to get a quality brake controller and get a good connection system. If appropriate to your hardware specs a WDH will mellow out the ride and add an additional safety margin.

You have the potential for a great handling/performing rig if set up optimally.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
I'd go with towing with something else. We had a 2012 and towed a teardrop. The engine was more than capable but the suspension wasn't up to the task- we would have needed air lifts to stop the hitch bottoming out. We had the hitch installed by the VW dealer. You can get a a European hitch installed which would be better.
The Euro hitch would not be any better in your case. A properly installed WDH would be the best solution.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:19 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
If the VW is rated to tow 2000 lbs and the trailer is only 1500 lbs, you should be fine. Use of a weight distributing hitch would be the sensible way to distribute the hitch weight over the vehicle's entire suspension.

Can-Am RV in London ON could install a hitch receiver... or even fabricate a custom hitch receiver... if you are anywhere near them. They have WD hitches for sale also.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:11 AM   #7
wel

Ontario
Registry
Thanks all for the info!!

Appreciated! I so love this site... So much help and info...thanks!