Hi, Dreaming of owning my first fiberglass camper! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: In the Market
Tennessee
Talking Hi, Dreaming of owning my first fiberglass camper!

My name is Karen and I am looking for a camper big enough for two adult and two pre-teen kids (10 and 12), but light enough to tow with our suv. ANy suggestions you may have would be great. I am looking for something used and under 5K. Cleanliness is important to me, but I would not mind doing a little re-decorating. I am handy and I can sew. Thanks!!
Karen Topor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Welcome, Karen! I hope you can live the dream soon. What suv and what is its tow rating? (Your manual might tell.) You might want to keep an eye out for a 16' with front seat because that seat converts to bunk beds. Depending on the kids' weights, you may have to strengthen the top bunk's supports, though.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #3

Name: Karen
Trailer: In the Market
Tennessee
Our suv is an older model Acura MDX. Not sure what the rating is... My youngest is about 70 lbs and he would be on the top bunk. Thanks!
Karen Topor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
If you take your vin number to an Acura dealer, they should be willing to look it up and tell you exactly how much you can tow. Also if it isn't the max, they can say what you would need to add to the vehicle. I checked a 2004 (random choice) and it was 2000 lb standard, 4000 lb. max towing (with some accessories, no doubt).

Many 16 footers weigh in around 2500 lbs loaded.

I think the top bunks are rated for 80 lbs, but I could be wrong.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #5

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
not sure where you or "they" are,,,but i was reading a post today where someone has a 16ft delux scamp for $5000 sound like it would be perfect for you.i think it was an 89 but it looked new in the pictures.
you will only need to sleep the kids a couple years and they will be big enough to prefer a tent for them so they can goof and laugh half the night away with out you telling them to shut up and go to sleep ,by the way.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #6

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Topor View Post
My name is Karen and I am looking for a camper big enough for two adult and two pre-teen kids (10 and 12), but light enough to tow with our suv. ANy suggestions you may have would be great. I am looking for something used and under 5K. Cleanliness is important to me, but I would not mind doing a little re-decorating. I am handy and I can sew. Thanks!!
check dianez post,,looks good
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
...Cleanliness is important to me...
You can always clean it once it's yours, not fun but not expensive either. You would have a tuff time all being stuck in a scamp 13, would tend to make bed time sort of a camper ballet. But it is possible, many of those with the front bunk/ couch come in at around $4k.

Kids are pretty close to the age when own tent next to the camper would suit them fine. But they are also getting close to big enough that top bunk of bunk/couch won't handle their weight.

Might want to look for model with both a couch and side dinette that you can use as a second bed if you want both kids to sleep inside.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
bunk weight limitations

Hi Roger! Do you know if the Scamp bunk supports were ever changed/re-designed? The reason I ask is b/c when I picked up my Scamp at the factory I was told the top bunk is good to around 200 lbs. My salesman said the biggest limitation is length not weight as it will hold his weight. My 100 lb daugther who is 16 sleeps on the top bunk and it's solid as a rock. I climbed up there being about 50 lbs heavier and it was still solid although a bit narrow for me. So I'm wondering where the 90 lb weight limitation I've seen posted here several times came from originally?

Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
You can always clean it once it's yours, not fun but not expensive either. You would have a tuff time all being stuck in a scamp 13, would tend to make bed time sort of a camper ballet. But it is possible, many of those with the front bunk/ couch come in at around $4k.

Kids are pretty close to the age when own tent next to the camper would suit them fine. But they are also getting close to big enough that top bunk of bunk/couch won't handle their weight.

Might want to look for model with both a couch and side dinette that you can use as a second bed if you want both kids to sleep inside.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:32 AM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
... I am looking for a camper ... light enough to tow with our suv.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Hi Roger! Do you know if the Scamp bunk supports were ever changed/re-designed? ..... So I'm wondering where the 90 lb weight limitation I've seen posted here several times came from originally?
The weight limits might have come from a variety of trailers. There is nothing in the boler manuals in the document center, surprisingly there are not any Scamp manuals. Scamps online manual has no mention of bunk limitations.

I know for my boler American the upper bunk is attached to a piece of fake wood held up by a 1.5" fiberglass tab. Yet I've seen other bunks held up by molded fiberglass ledges. There might be a difference based on design.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote