Hi Everyone!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2016, 01:59 PM   #1

Name: Hersh
Trailer: Wonderfully interested
Oregon
Hi Everyone!!!

My name is Hersh. I've been enjoying reading up on all you camping crazies for a month or so and just had to join in the fun... I do not have a FGRV "yet" but have been camping and hiking since the dinosaurs roamed the earth. I have had a Class A, a couple of Can Hams and I fool around during my business' slow season and build small trailers on the side. Mostly for me and my employees to have fun during the camping seasons. You can check out one of my prototypes on youtube under War Wagon Trail Tough Trailers. We did that one just for fun. I have a couple of others that I have either in prototype production or in trials to see how they will hold up.

Okay now for my big ignorant question for the day... since I have never been in a FGRV... how is the interior finished off? I see some have FG cabinets/etc., I'm wondering is there any upholstered/carpeted walls or are they just a smooth finished FG.

The only thing I do know about FG is I HATE installing it in my home(s) for insulation...YIKES!!! I'm itching just thinking about it.

I saw under the Boler info they used ensolite foam???? but that wasn't a "finished" material/wall was it? I also understand condensation was a problem at one time.

Being that I live in southern Oregon... is there any places I could look at some FGRV's?

Well... that's enough chatter from me for now! Keep posting as I love reading up on all the FGRV stuff.

Hersh
Hersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #2

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Hi Hersh. There are a couple of FGRV rallies coming up in your vicinity:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/c...0-5&e=6168&c=1
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/c...-15&e=6162&c=1
You should get a pretty good cross section of what’s available and how they are made while attending one.

If you look in the far right column of the webpage, you will find, “Upcoming Events”, which is a partial list of upcoming events.

Also, if you go to the ‘More’ tab at the top of the page, there is a rally calendar which will give you an idea of what’s coming later in the year.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
The fiberglass fibers are sealed in resin they just provide strength. Like straw in clay bricks.

Insides are almost always covered, need the insulation to prevent condensation and with fiberglass lighted from inside at night would be an interesting magic lantern show of my getting undressed for bed.

Ensolite is a closed cell foam with a tough vinyl surface also known as elephant hide, the foam provides the insulation. Vinyl surface is easy clean.

A form of marine fabric almost like a felt sometimes called rat fur, applied over reflectix bubble and foil insulation. Synthetic material so it won't hold water or stain easily.

Some have an inner and outer shell with insulation in between. Old U-Haul was one like that I think and there are newer ones too.

I think that a sort of marine or indoor outdoor carpet may also get used but am not 100% sure on that. Recall reading it on one of the posts and sort of recall it from a camper at a rally.

Go to the rally and check them out. Lot of different ways they are done. those inner cabinets and seats etc. of fiberglass add strength, they act as corner braces between floor and wall or at the corners. Some help support the roof.

The cabinets and fittings are a hard gel coat that is smooth and polished on finished side, and are a hard semi-rough surface on the unfinished side. Good side is like fiberglass shower insert, unfinished side is smoother than back of those usually are. You could probably check those inserts out at the local big box home improvement store.

Attachment is by going through outside shell, or for double wall there maybe wood between walls at points where things need to attach. Some models (Scamp is one) use blocks that are fiberglassed like tape or epoxied to the location where a screw is needed. If you have ever used cleats to mount an open backed vanity cabinet it is the same idea.

Hit the rallies, fun day and the people tend to be a lot of fun, even if you just stop out for a day.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #4

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
hi!
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote