Hi Everyone - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2016, 06:52 AM   #1

Name: Ann
Trailer: 79 Beachcomber
Nova Scotia
Hi Everyone

I just bought a 1979 Beachcomber Travel Trailer and this is a new venture for me, do not know too much about them but hopefully can learn a lot here on this site from all of you. I am on my own now with this trailer and have to get it ready for winter but do not know too much about what to do, so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ann
Ann in Nova Scotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:17 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the molded fiberglass community, Ann, and congratulations on the new trailer!

Lots of experienced help here with any questions you might have. I'd say the order of priorities is: (1) Get it clean, (2) Make it safe to tow (tires, bearings, axle, frame, lights, brakes), (3) Deal with any leaks, (4) Get the camp systems functioning, (4) Make it pretty!

We'd love to see some pictures!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:29 AM   #3

Name: Ann
Trailer: 79 Beachcomber
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Welcome to the molded fiberglass community, Ann, and congratulations on the new trailer!

Lots of experienced help here with any questions you might have. I'd say the order of priorities is: (1) Get it clean, (2) Make it safe to tow (tires, bearings, axle, frame, lights, brakes), (3) Deal with any leaks, (4) Get the camp systems functioning, (4) Make it pretty!

We'd love to see some pictures! Post #7 in the "Forums 101" thread in the "Administration, News, and Announcements" section has the scoop.
The biggest thing right now for me is to get it ready for winter and knowing where things are, when I got this a month ago I had a partner but now I am on my own with it but I am going to push on and keep it and learn one way or the other
Ann in Nova Scotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:21 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sorry to hear about the change of circumstances, but I'm sure you'll figure it out! Ask lots of questions. Regarding winter storage...

I'd try to find out if there are any leaks. If you get a good raIn that's the time to look. Checks windows and vents, but also check the floor inside cabinets- water can run down the walls. Deal with any leaks you find (do NOT use silicone-based caulk), or cover it for the winter. If you do tarp, do what you can to protect the fiberglass from chafing.

Not sure what kind of plumbing your trailer has, but you'll need to make sure it is winterized.

In your climate, I'd remove cushions and curtains for winter storage and use dessicating crystals to keep down the humidity inside the trailer.

If you get much snow, it's a good idea to support the roof from inside. Two squares of plywood with a 2x6 wedged between them works. It's also a good practice to remove snow accumulation during/after storms.

I like to store mine with the wheels off the ground. I raise each side and put a jack stand on the frame behind the axle. I also place stabilizer jacks at the corners. Mine has a rounded roof, so I store mine level, but if yours has a flat roof, dipping the tongue will aid drainage.

Most important, check the trailer from time to time throughout the winter. The sooner you catch any issues, the less harm done.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote