Hi, Everyone - so nice to find this forum! - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-16-2020, 04:22 PM   #1

Name: Diana
Trailer: Shopping for a Short Fiberglass Tow
California
Hi, Everyone - so nice to find this forum!

Hello to the Group!

We're *so* happy to find this site because we're shopping right now for a fiberglass RV. We've already discovered so much here & are very grateful to have this resource.

We've been happily car camping for decades. As we enter our 60's we realize we need a *little* more road trip comfort.

If anyone is about to sell (perhaps you're upgrading?!), please don't hesitate to contact us since we're hoping to buy something ASAP. We're located near Los Angeles but will travel to pick up a bargain!

Until we officially join your traveling ranks, everyone enjoy the road a little extra for us!

Diana & Karl
Attached Thumbnails
dikarlsubaru08.jpg   dikarl.jpg  

Diana Woodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:21 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Welcome.
And first I should warn you that lying on this forum is not permitted.
Not that I am accusing you of lying, but your claim to be entering your sixties combined with the photos does raise suspicions. (In other words, at 62, I only wish I looked that young!)

But to the business at hand, while the current state of the universe has indirectly created a large (and IMHO temporary) demand for recreational vehicles, there are still some good deals to be found. The trick is to know where to look for them, and to be prepared to act quickly.

The latter means having cash on hand, and be ready, willing and able to travel (with an appropriate tow vehicle if a trailer).

To the former, I recommend these resources (tilted toward Scamps):

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/
https://www.fiberglassclassifieds.com/
https://www.facebook.com/livebythepond
https://www.searchtempest.com/
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...er&_sacat=6000

And a bit of luck.

(PS.. always be cautious of possible scams for FBRV trailers or anything in high demand.)
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:24 PM   #3

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Woodland View Post
If anyone is about to sell (perhaps you're upgrading?!), please don't hesitate to contact us s...
PS... anyone selling a molded fiberglass RV is not "upgrading." They are downgrading.. a suspicious person would ask why
Old 10-17-2020, 11:05 AM   #4
tua

Name: Manley
Trailer: Happier Camper
Everywhere, USA
RVillage

Also check out the RVillage app. https://www.rvillage.com/
While this app is for all RV owners, not many molded fiberglass owners have discovered this awesome app yet (but as the word is getting out I'm seeing the molded fiberglass owners numbers increasing), there is near 100,000 RV owners there and sometimes somebody knows somebody...
There is also a 'for sale' group as well there.

Also craigslist.....do a broad search all over the country. My friend from norcal UPGRADED from her stick built and found her Casita on craigslist in Georgia, and immediately drove there to pick it up.

Happy Hunting!
================================================
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:30 PM   #5

Name: Martha
Trailer: 2009 Casita SD
California
Gordon, That is not a very welcoming email to a person looking forward to becoming a member of our group!
Martha Effinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:09 PM   #6

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
You should also include casitaforum.com and the Escape forum. And be prepared to jump if you find something you like. Good fiberglass was going fast even before COVID ramped up the demand.

Walt
Old 10-17-2020, 04:59 PM   #7

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Effinger View Post
Gordon, That is not a very welcoming email to a person looking forward to becoming a member of our group!
It would appear that you did not read my full message, or that you did not understand what you read. It was actually a very complimentary statement. But if you feel its inappropriate feel free to report it to the moderators.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:38 PM   #8

California
Thanks for all the great hints of where to hunt!

HUGE thanks to Gordon, Tua, & Walt for all the suggestions of where to hunt!! That's extremely kind & helpful. I'm thrilled to have new places to look! We're definitely ready to jump with cash in hand when we find one.

Gordon, I appreciate that you're on the lookout for scammers. We all have to be these days. You also made me smile. I freely admit, at 60, I *do* have a tendency to post pics that shave a few years off the calendar (& pounds off the figure)! You can check out decades of our physical decline in my facebook photos here :
https://www.facebook.com/diana.hamann

If anyone's a fan of 80's Special FX (Ghostbuster, Beetlejuice), you might enjoy my behind-the-scenes pics:
https://www.facebook.com/diana.haman...4888825&type=3

And forgive me - I didn't mean to offend with my "upgrade" comment. We are head-over-heels in love with fiberglass RVs. I meant "upgrade" as in "Your previous fiberglass RV had a few dings & you've found a more pristine version." Being 60-ish, we've become quite "comfortable with a few dings".

Thanks again, everyone. So nice to be here!!

Diana
Old 10-19-2020, 06:04 PM   #9

Name: Craig
Trailer: In the market
British Columbia
Hi Diana, welcome!

My wife and I are thinking of upgrading soon, so we'll reach out to you if we do!
CraigP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Someone could upgrade from one fibreglass trailer to another, without suspicion. I believe that Donna D. has had other fibreglass trailers before her beloved Escape 5.0 TA.

I would like to voice a vote for Trillium trailers. A front dinette 4500, with a gravity furnace, is, in my opinion, the perfect couples trailer. Leave the large dinette as a bed, (nearly queen sized) and the front dinette for eating. No bathroom, but there is a place for a port-a-potty. There is something to be said for simplicity. Graduating from tents to a 4500 would still be a BIG upgrade.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
indeed, we upgraded from a ciasta 16 to a escape 21, then upgradd our tow vheicle from a Tacoma to a F250 diesel :-P
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:00 PM   #12

SW Virginia
Speaking of upgrades, you can see my list of fiberglass trailers in chronological order of ownership.At the time I felt each was an upgrade including the current Escape.

Walt
Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM   #13

California
Hey, Craig!

We just bought a 2007 Scamp (taking Walt's advice to jump if we found something we liked). But...our purchase has inspired our favorite pal-couple & they're now looking. So please let me know if/when you're ready & I'll connect you. Thanks & happy trails until then!

Diana
Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM   #14

California
David, thanks for the suggestion - I love the layout of the Trillium 4500 and the cabinets! We just grabbed a 2007 Scamp & are thrilled. Now, our friends are looking so I'll pass on the suggestion.

Didn't know you could put a gravity furnace in these fiberglass trailers. The previous owners said the heater in ours is super-noisy. So I'll look into that. Thanks so much!

Diana
Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM   #15

California
Santa Cruz John-
The Escape 21 looks so nice & roomy! How relaxing to be able to ramble about!
Diana
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM   #16

California
Walt, thanks for your upgrade list which is useful. Curious about the "At the time I felt each was an upgrade". Have you changed your mind about one or more of them? Asking because we're now helping pals shop! Thanks.

Diana
Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM   #17

California
Thanks Everyone! We just bought a 2007 Scamp!

What a nice introduction to the forums here. Thanks for the advice & for just saying hello!

We found a Scamp we love. A lovely couple was in fact selling it to upgrade - so lucky for us! I'm going to post again, this time asking for general "We know nothing. Tell us what we should do!" advice. All responses welcome.

Again, thanks everyone. We're so happy to join your ranks!

Diana & Karl
Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM   #18

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Didn't know you could put a gravity furnace in these fiberglass trailers. The previous owners said the heater in ours is super-noisy. So I'll look into that. Thanks so much!
I hate to disappoint you, but you can't buy a new trailer with a gravity furnace installed. They lost approval around 1980 due to high surface temperatures that were considered a fire hazard. There is a very small time window, with Trilliums, where you could get a front dinette, and a gravity furnace. However, there is no law stopping you from installing one, (assuming you can find one).

Your best option for a quiet furnace today is a catalytic heater. They operate below ignition temperatures. The problem with these is mostly humidity, (condensation). This is due to the products of combustion, (reaction?) ending up inside the trailer. Since the catalyst promotes complete reaction of propane and air, this is typically safe. The exhaust products amount to water and carbon dioxide. However, if the trailer is very tightly sealed, or you are at high altitudes, then carbon monoxide can become an issue due to low oxygen.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM   #19

SW Virginia
Quote:
Walt, thanks for your upgrade list which is useful. Curious about the "At the time I felt each was an upgrade". Have you changed your mind about one or more of them? Asking because we're now helping pals shop! Thanks.
Diana
Not really, except maybe the Parkliner. It was one of the first models and there were several things I didn't care for, all of which have been upgraded or changed and the last ones are terrific. If they ever go back into production I might be tempted. But other than that I've loved them all, just my needs changed over the years.

Walt
Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM   #20

Name: Tonya
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.5 Gaucho (07) Our "replacement" for our burned 05!
California
It sounds as if you're already finding what you want, but in case others are looking for a few "for sale" links, we found our 2007 Bigfoot here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/545849006151738

And, here's a general molded fiberglass site for units being sold:
https://www.facebook.com/Molded.FiberglassRV4Sale
Tonya is offline   Reply With Quote