Hi fellow travellers. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: looking
Texas
Hi fellow travellers.

We are looking at options for a wee trailer and the fibreglass ones look great.
However we are concerned about the 'off gassing' smell from new resin and also all the glues etc inside.
Can I get some feed back on how long it takes for the smell to go away please.
Cheers, Mike and Tracie
Kiwinomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Hi fellow travellers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwinomad View Post
We are looking at options for a wee trailer and the fibreglass ones look great.
However we are concerned about the 'off gassing' smell from new resin and also all the glues etc inside.
Can I get some feed back on how long it takes for the smell to go away please.
Cheers, Mike and Tracie

Off-gassing has been discussed on lots of threads. I have no empirical data, just personal experience. Our trailer had that "new smell" when we picked it up, but it was not at all unpleasant and we stopped noticing it.

Stickies have off-gassing too. It really doesn't come from the fiberglass resin in the shell, but from adhesives, vinyl, finishes, and other chemical sources. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it - at least not because of the shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-02-2015, 06:16 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Is that a "We" a "Wee" or a "Wei" trailer you are looking at? LOL
If you are hyper sensitive I'd suggest looking at a 3+ year old trailer just to avoid any concerns about odors. I mention that long a time because these trailers are kept closed up, and in hot sun, for long periods of time and are apt to retain objectionable odors for a longer than expected time.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:11 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: looking
Texas
Thanks!

Thanks for your advice.
Early days yet in our search - we are truckers so currently live in our work provided 'mobile home' as we truck up and down USA/Canada.
Looking to buy as we get closer to retirement.
Happy with small - don't want a huge RV, just a wee [small] Casita or similar that can be towed easily and can be snuck into tight spots.
Looking forward to browsing this forum for ideas etc.
Cheers
Kiwinomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I have a 1981 13ft Perris pacer
Send me a pm if interested
Asking $6500
Located in so California

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:14 AM   #6

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
The only new trailer that I have some experience with was a new Escape trailer that some friends bought about two years ago. When they took delivery of it there was a strong fiberglass resin odor to it. They kept the windows and vents open and the exhaust fan going for several days. We all thought the odor quite strong and could detect it in their trailer during the maiden camping trip we took them. It probably dissipated to where you didn't notice it in about a month. For anyone sensitive to odors I think off-gassing from the FG and glues in a new unit would be something to be concerned about but not necessarily a deal breaker. Just plan for it and think about how you might accelerated the process of getting rid of it.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:29 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Mike and Tracie!

Had to chuckle... most "wee" Casitas sold are 17'ers, and they almost qualify as large by molded fiberglass standards! Compared to giant conventional Class As and 5ers, of course, it's a different story...

Casitas are very popular among retired couples. I agree that going small has some advantages. Some popular state and national parks have size restrictions. It's nice to be able to fit into two regular parking spots during grocery stops. Your tow vehicle can be a reasonably practical daily driver. Cleaning and waxing are less of a chore. Molded fiberglass doesn't have seams requiring regular maintenance. Storage during the off-season is easier.

Small will require accommodations, though. Two can't easily move around at the same time, the galley is pretty small, and the bath is a wet bath. Most lack "lounge" seating. Small and mid-size molded fiberglass trailers appeal more to folks who like to spend most of their time outside the trailer doing things and visiting places.

Casitas are popular, but there are a number of excellent alternatives worth considering. You'll learn more as you hang out here. Since you're not in a hurry, you might consider visiting one of the egg rallies near you. It's a great way to see a lot of different makes and models in one place and to meet and talk with their owners.

Used is a good way to start. You'll avoid the off-gassing of a new unit, though you'll have to avoid smoking and pet odors. And nothing beats time on the road to determine what you really need or want in a trailer. Your first choice may not be your forever choice. If you time your buying and selling right, you stand a good chance to break even or even come out ahead. Try that with a 40' motorhome or fifth wheel!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:22 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwinomad View Post
Thanks for your advice.
Early days yet in our search - we are truckers so currently live in our work provided 'mobile home' as we truck up and down USA/Canada.
Looking to buy as we get closer to retirement.
Happy with small - don't want a huge RV, just a wee [small] Casita or similar that can be towed easily and can be snuck into tight spots.
Looking forward to browsing this forum for ideas etc.
Cheers
You might try to stop by the factories as you truck; Casita is in Rice, Texas and Escape is in Chilliwack, BC - about an hour east of Vancouver BC. Scamp is in Minnesota. Most glass trailers are sold direct; no dealer network.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:41 AM   #9

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
The interior of my Li'l Hauley (empty Snoozy shell) was coated just days prior to pickup, and it did have a strong smell for about 2-3 weeks. Nothing at all like the 2005 Rockwood I once owned, which offgassed so badly it irritated my eyes and throat for 8-9 months after purchase.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #10

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
We had a Scamp that was over a year old and I could still smell the off gassing but I am quite sensitive to smells.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote