Hi from DownEast Maine - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: Looking hard
Maine
Hi from DownEast Maine

Looking to learn from the collective wisdom of the group for a lightweight FG trailer we can haul behind our 2011 Subaru Outback with 2.5i, CTV. Any specific advice would be appreciated.
Thank you
macd1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Subaru Outback

Absolutely love that part of Maine.

Many people tow Scamp 16s with the Outback, our son tows a Casita 16 with an Outback. However, I don't know about the CTV transmission, it's rather new, though I believe Subaru doesn;t change the tow rating so it should be OK.

I know Carol from BC has towed with one for many years with great sucess and importantly gets in the range of 20 mpg.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
There have been several threads on towing with a Subaru lately and all I'd suggest is to follow your owner's manual re : weight limits on the tongue and gross trailer weights. Other than those 2 limits you will do fine. I wanted to purchase a 2011 cvt to tow with but my dealer could not get the transmission cooler nor the 7 pin connector for the cvt so I got another tow vehicle. You may have better luck.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #4

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Down East Maine

We will be traveling to Bar Harbor in July. We plan on staying two nights at Sherwood Forest Campground in New Harbor, Maine. We will be there on or about the 20th. If you have interest in meeting to see our glass trailer, return a private e-mail and I will send you my cell #.
We will be traveling with a Lil Snoozy that we will not receive until April. I gather from reading this site that the tongue weight may exceed the Suburu's manufacturer recommended limit. By July I will have weighed my trailer and know the overall weight and tongue weight of my trailer.
It seems to me that manufacturers rate vehicles very conservatively today compared to what we used to tow in the sixties and even going back to the twenties and thirties (before my time). As I see it, the real concern with exceeding your manufacturers tow ratings is the legal issues you may have to deal with if involved in a serious accident. I would not want to try to prove to a court room full of lawyers that I know more than the engineers that build the vehicle.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Michael, welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here! I can't help with the tow information as I tow with a pickup, but you'll find the collective wisdom here on this molded trailer forum to be invaluable in assisting decision making.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #6

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
well hello to ya. i'm currently considering a new outback within the next year or yeart and a half. be very interested to hear houw your does towing.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #7

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
welcome, michael! can't help with the towing info but since we're neighbours, thought i'd offer a neighbourly greeting.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Fiberglass Rally

There's a fiberglass rally this July in St Martins, NB. We went last year and would go this year if we were home. The people are 'Canadian friendly', the rallies on the coast in a very nice campground and it's a chance to see a lot of rigs. Well worth attending. You will learn a lot more than it costs.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #9

Name: Rosie
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
There's a fiberglass rally this July in St Martins, NB. We went last year and would go this year if we were home. The people are 'Canadian friendly', the rallies on the coast in a very nice campground and it's a chance to see a lot of rigs. Well worth attending. You will learn a lot more than it costs.
Hello, I am new to this site and am loving all the advice! We're travelling to the East Coast from Winnipeg with our Honda Element and li'l Boler. We don't want to commit to attending this Rally just yet. Do we need to reserve a long time in advance?

Question, do you have a Radiator Cooler installed on your Element?
travel_buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #10

Name: Michael
Trailer: Looking hard
Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
well hello to ya. i'm currently considering a new outback within the next year or yeart and a half. be very interested to hear houw your does towing.
John, have not actually towed yet, plan on purchasing something late spring. Will post what, where and impressions once we have some experience.
Mike MacD
macd1964 is offline   Reply With Quote