Hi from FL/still reseaching campers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #21

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Just had a thought. How thick is the aluminum on those new F150 trucks?

Be thankful for insurance.

It is thicker than the skin on an Airstream, and no more likely to ding than a steel vehicle. And just so you know, not to be outdone, I am told that GM is going to all aluminum truck bodies next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #22

Name: Gloria
Trailer: In the market
Florida
Thanks y'all! Yes I think we are already convinced that we wont be able to get anything thru our garage door, 7ft. So I think we have to find storage or move :-)...... Never seen an Alto before.....

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #23

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Scamp Camp happens every February in Florida at Highland Hammocks State Park. Though the rally is dominated by Scamps there are all kinds of fiberglass trailers at the rally that you can walk through and meet with owners. Unfortunately this year's just ended but it's a great place to get a feel for fiberglass trailers.

We are located in Wauchula, FL right now and you would be welcome to see ours. We'll be here until the first of April.

Thanks! I'll tell my DH to see if we can drop by.......We retire next year, hopefully :-) so we can go to that Scamp/fiberglass rally next Feb. So exciting! :-)

Old 02-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #24

Name: Sally
Trailer: Scamp 19' Fifth Wheel
Florida
We are hunting too!

We started out looking at airstreams too. I grew up with a 31 foot international 1967..After looking at a few vintage ones, I realized...OMG, this was my dad's dream NOT mine!!

I realized that I love fiberglass and tiny so we are hunting for an escape or a scamp fiver! We went to Highlands Hammock last weekend.

Hubby says whatever I want BUT I got a great decision making tool app that is helping us narrow what we want. Make all of those pros and cons lists and get what seems right at the time because you can always change later when your needs change! I hope that you are enjoying your search as much as we are!

Sal
SallyBEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #25

Florida
Sal,
Oh yes! We are enjoying our search your are right :-) we learn something everyday. We'll see want happens at the end and who knows maybe after the big purchase, few yrs down the road we'll change our minds LOL.....but It's ok.... Life is good!

Old 02-17-2015, 10:49 PM   #26

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oliver is a very nice trailer and well built. I've always found the Safari Alto intriguing but have never seen one in person since I think they only started selling to USA a year or two ago.... they are built in Quebec. But molded fiberglass bodies are much more durable and dent resistant than aluminum, and have less places to eventually leak (no seams).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hi from FL/still reseaching campers

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
...Though our present trailer is our favorite, the trailer is not the essence of the travel but rather the means... If the majority on this site are typical, what ever you choose will not be your last trailer. Another factor, all the trailers you are considering do very well at keeping their value, particularly if you buy used.

I think Norm raises a good point. It's hard to tell from your original post whether you are experienced RVers or novices, but many people go through several trailers before settling on what really works for their own style of travel. Rather than plunk down $40-$60K for a brand-new trailer like Oliver or Airstream, it might make sense to purchase a used Scamp, Casita, Escape, or whatever for $10-$20K, use it for a season or two, and then reevaluate what you really need.

Because FG trailers generally hold their value well, you would likely be able to sell it for close to what you paid. And if you do decide in the end to order the brand-new trailer of your dreams, you'd have something to use while it is being built. Most of the fiberglass manufacturers have wait times of 3-10 months for new units.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote