Hi from FL/still reseaching campers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2014, 08:37 AM   #1

Name: Gloria
Trailer: In the market
Florida
Smile Hi from FL/still reseaching campers

Hi
We are still researching and kinda' overwhelmed from so many choices. Most important factors I guess are: we need to store in our standard garage, fit 2 adults & 2 small dogs, EASY to set up (that's why we ended up here, maybe we could not use a pop up) dependable (we are not too handy ) we are not looking for luxury fancy items simple but dependable..... Any thoughts
Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
This is the only thing that comes to mind with your requirement of storing in a garage: Aliner - The original A-frame travel trailer
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
There are several other choices including the Hunter Compact-I, II & Jr and the look alike Campster that will all fit into a garage. And a few have worked out changing to temporary smaller tires on Scamps and others to fit into a garage.

Also tent trailers offer a lot of room and very little towing weight.

Look around here and there are pics of several tent trailers as well as my Hunter Compact-II

Hunter Compact II Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #4

Florida
Thanks!! will look at those..... but don't know why I am kinda' in love with the Scamp but realize it might be difficult to store in my garage What have y'all heard about TrailManor's? I've seen many people in these forums do all kinds of changes to their A liners and TM's campers and we are not really that handy... tough the fiberglass RV would be less prone to leaks or things just going wrong (might be wrong) .... Thanks for your input
Old 06-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #5

FWIW: Trail Manor trailers are heavy beyond belief. They put a lot of steel in the frame to be able to raise and support the upper.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:14 AM   #6

Florida
Everything has changed! We are now looking at Olivers!! While my husband still has an Airstream in the back of his mind...... We are a bit away from retirement so still have time to research......any feedback? Thanks All so much

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-17-2015, 05:30 AM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Scamp Camp happens every February in Florida at Highland Hammocks State Park. Though the rally is dominated by Scamps there are all kinds of fiberglass trailers at the rally that you can walk through and meet with owners. Unfortunately this year's just ended but it's a great place to get a feel for fiberglass trailers.

We are located in Wauchula, FL right now and you would be welcome to see ours. We'll be here until the first of April.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:28 AM   #8
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
[QUOTE=Glory;505060]Everything has changed! We are now looking at Olivers!! While my husband still has an Airstream in the back of his mind...... We are a bit away from retirement so still have time to research......any feedback? Thanks All so much.

Most Airstream's are larger than most glass eggs. I doubt you would find one that would fit in a standard garage.

The Alto would work...
Attached Thumbnails
alto2009_1.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:57 AM   #9

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
My 16' Casita is stored inside my garage right now and with 14" tires. I have to gently push the lip of the garage doors up a bit till bottomed out and the Casita backs right in with the AC on the front.
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:09 AM   #10

It sounds like you have a garage door that is a bit taller than the standard 84" door.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:51 AM   #11

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
It sounds like you have a garage door that is a bit taller than the standard 84" door.
I am not convinced there is a "standard" garage door height. I suspect there s a wide variety of garage door openings and so, garage doors have different sizes. Mine is a two car garage. I have not measured the opening but I was the owner builder that built the house. We can do that in Florida, thankfully, if you are building your own home in Florida on your own property. When I framed the garage i went by a set of architect's prints and rough-framed the opening to the blueprint's dimensions. I paid someone else to install the garage door-one side a two car opening and other side a single car opening.

So, I'd advise anyone wishing to store a travel trailer inside their garage to actually measure theirs, keeping in mind that they just might gain a few inches by pushing up on the bottom of their garage door lip once the motor takes it till it stops. This will go up even further than their chain drive opener will automatically take it. Thats what I do and my 16' Casita (lower than the 17') just squeezes underneath.
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:28 AM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hussey View Post
I am not convinced there is a "standard" garage door height. I suspect there s a wide variety of garage door openings and so, garage doors have different sizes. Mine is a two car garage. I have not measured the opening but I was the owner builder that built the house. We can do that in Florida, thankfully, if you are building your own home in Florida on your own property. When I framed the garage i went by a set of architect's prints and rough-framed the opening to the blueprint's dimensions. I paid someone else to install the garage door-one side a two car opening and other side a single car opening.

So, I'd advise anyone wishing to store a travel trailer inside their garage to actually measure theirs, keeping in mind that they just might gain a few inches by pushing up on the bottom of their garage door lip once the motor takes it till it stops. This will go up even further than their chain drive opener will automatically take it. Thats what I do and my 16' Casita (lower than the 17') just squeezes underneath.
Length may also be a concern in a "standard" garage. You still want to be able to squeeze around it, which is next to impossible if the rear of the trailer is butted up to the rear wall and the tongue is kissing the garage door. Slithering under it to get to the other side is not really convenient! Perhaps you could measure the height of the door when opened to its max and the depth of the garage from door to back wall. Posting that information might lead to some forum members providing you with better suggestions.
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Many years ago I parked an Econoline van with a roof vent in my garage; easiest way to clear the vent was to push up on the door edge and poke an empty 1 gallon plastic bottle (with cap on) up between the front edge of the door and framing.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:53 AM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
garage doors

Most home in the US have 84in or 7ft height on standard garage doors by 8ft ,10ft 12ft 16ft depending on opening These are 4 panel doors of 21in a piece so next size up is usually 105 in by 8ft -16ft . I'm sure you could get 8ft 4 panel doors but might be more money . If you keep it to standard 21in panels probably a lot cheaper to build . My new to me house ( 1991model) has a 84 in door . IN fact every home I've owned and some that I have built have all been 84 in high.. Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:54 AM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Every year we seem to get caught in a hail storm somewhere, and have never suffered any damage to the trailer, but the tow vehicles do get damage. I would think the airstream would look like a golf ball in no time.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #16

To Concur with Jim....
I just happen to have a resident expert (?) as one of my tenants. Dean has worked for Precision Garage Doors for 7 years and confirmed that 84" was the "Residential Standard" garage door opening and anything higher than that was considered oversize and occasionally required ordering special size doors. He did allow that, due to the McMansions common in the area, that they also stocked a few 96" doors, but that most of those used what he called a "Five Panel Door" meaning that the opening was oversize, usually 96"+ and used a standard roll up door with an extra panel.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
As the OP is now considering an Oliver (or possibly an Airstream) it sounds like the garage-ability requirement has been set aside. I doubt either of those would fit through an 84" or even a 96" garage door opening. I have the latter in a small rental cabin I own, and I can tell you it's nice! It may become our retirement home, in which case, Scampy will have a home of her own, no special wheels needed!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
To Concur with Jim....
I just happen to have a resident expert (?) as one of my tenants. Dean has worked for Precision Garage Doors for 7 years and confirmed that 84" was the "Residential Standard" garage door opening and anything higher than that was considered oversize and occasionally required ordering special size doors. He did allow that, due to the McMansions common in the area, that they also stocked a few 96" doors, but that most of those used what he called a "Five Panel Door" meaning that the opening was oversize, usually 96"+ and used a standard roll up door with an extra panel.
22 x 22 feet garage with 16’ x 8’ door is a typical size of a two car garage for many single family homes with attached garages in residential areas. On real small city lots its also not uncommon to find a garage that is only 20' long - which is actually the min. building code for a garage in so far as length goes in these parts.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:59 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
AC and Florida

I see your located in Florida and I assume that means you need air conditioning, generally that means roof top air conditioning. I don't believe there are any trailers with roof top air conditioners that will fit in a standard garage.

Either you need a bigger garage, need to store it somewhere else or leave it outside. Often the latter is not allowed in some neighborhoods, though allowed in my neighborhood. Our trailer has been outside since we bought it, most of the time traveling and has suffered no ill effects.

We've had three trailers all 16 feet long or less over the last 7 years. We loved them all and had great travels with them. Though our present trailer is our favorite, the trailer is not the essence of the travel but rather the means.

If the majority on this site are typical, what ever you choose will not be your last trailer. Another factor, all the trailers you are considering do very well at keeping their value, particularly if you buy used.

wishing you well in your search.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #20
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Every year we seem to get caught in a hail storm somewhere, and have never suffered any damage to the trailer, but the tow vehicles do get damage. I would think the airstream would look like a golf ball in no time.
Dave & Paula
You are right Dave, an Airstream will dent from large hail. On our way to Watkins Glen one year a black cloud drifted towards us. We have a car with an aluminum hood and the aluminum Airstream. Luckily we came upon an underpass and parked the rig for ten minutes til the hail storm blew over.

The Coleman pop up we bought had an aluminum top that looked like a golf ball from hail damage. It actually looked good so no problem.
Just had a thought. How thick is the aluminum on those new F150 trucks?

Be thankful for insurance.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote