Hi from Hopedale MA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-05-2017, 05:43 PM   #1

Name: Sue
Trailer: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Massachusetts
Registry
Hi from Hopedale MA

Hi all! I'm glad to join this group. I don't have a FG trailer yet but intend to buy one. I haven't even seen one yet but I'm day tripping to the NE Spring Fling in NH and hope to see a variety of trailers.

I love to camp but tent camping has gotten too hard as I've gotten older and developed back and joint problems. I also want to travel the country but figured I have to do that when I retired. But then I thought "Hey, I'm not getting any younger and if I wait to long I may not be able to enjoy the traveling as I'd like to!" So even though I'm 56, I'm going to dip into my retirement savings and get a trailer (have to buy a new towing vehicle too). I plan to travel with my dog Zoe and my 2 cats, Darcy and Sweetie. (The dog will love it but I'm not too sure how the cats will feel )

So right now I'm doing research on trailers and different tow vehicles. I've got a lot of information on Scamps but haven't been able to learn much about Casitas. I'm thinking of a 16 footer for me and the pets. Hopefully I get much more information at the Spring Fling.

Happy travels! -Sue
supercorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Sounds like you have a plan. Happy egg-hunting!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:30 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
A good Plan and a good Place to start the Plan.
See you in just 7 more days at the Spring Fling Rally in New England
Gerry
Gonna be a great time!
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:52 AM   #4

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Hi, Supercorgi! My retirement plans morved from hiking the AT to purchasing an Aspen motorcycle popup that could be towed by my 4 cylinder Toyota to a teardrop (former ultralight backpacker & canoe camper, so it wasn't claustrophobic) to a molded fiberglass trailer, to a LilSnoozy!
I also lurked on RV boards for years, learning about van camping and teardrops, mainly.
I remembered seeing Scamps in the campgrounds a coupe times over the last 55 years, and the ads in AARP newsletter for Scamps and Casitas- so I googled Scamp, and it led me here!
We travel with 4 cats (only had 3 when I first ordered my camper) and we turn the underbed storage area into a Cat Haven when parked.

I would say the most important thing is that cats have some nice memories of travel and not only associate travel with going to the vets, which something all cats hate.
We travel weekend to our "retirement" home 110 miles away, which our cats love-and have taken them on several multiday vacation trips each year. We learned that the cats understand English. We were once 2 days and a night away from home- we told the cats we'de be going home as we packed up to leave the motel- their expressions when we took them into the motel for the overnight were studies in surprise and disappointment! Now we just tell "we'll be leaving".
So take your cats someplace pleasent a couple times before you need to pack them in your camper is my suggestion.