Hi From Illinois!!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #1

Name: Lynny
Trailer: currently shopping
Illinois
Hi From Illinois!!!!

:u:):)Hello,
I would love to actually join the group of ownership of a fiberglass trailer, my husband and i currently camp in a 2008 T@B , which is a sweet little trailer, but we would love a bathroom for when we camp in bad weather. There is something so appealing about the "look" of a smaller molded fiberglass r.v.! I just can't seem to make myself like the white boxes, and am leary of their quality. Hoping by posting, we will find our new trailer before this season(we are in northern illinois) Any advice from experience?We don't want to purchase without viewing first. Thanks and happy camping to all!!
Lynn in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
There are some of us in the area with trailers that you can look at (that is, when the weather warms, so we can take the cover off). There are some rallies in the area this summer too. We are joining Roy Bakehorn's Fish Fry in May, however, we probably will be taking the cover off in early March.

We took the chance and bought our first Burro without seeing the inside. We saw it on ebay with pix of the insid; we drove past it but could not go inside as it was a car auction yard in Waukegan. We also bought our UHaul on ebay from pix. The thing is, these trailers are so durable, and if you are handy, they clean up well. You just have to watch out for scammers and getting a reasonable price for a fixer, a price that is not what the blue book says, as these trailers, because of their durability, do not depreciate like others do.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #3

Name: Diane
Trailer: 19' 2002 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Diane R.
We weren't actually looking when my better half spotted a 13' U-Haul for sale sitting in someone's driveway! We couldn't pass it up. Once you have a smaller fiberglass trailer you are hooked. Good luck in your search!
Diane R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I also bought mu UH from Ebay. The owner had posted a lot of interior shots, and had a good seller/buyer rating, and also fully explained what he had done, and what was wrong with it. so I took the chance. And I love my little glass house!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #5

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
One of the trailers we looked at was a 2010 T@B but it weighed more than than the 1978 17' boler we purchased. bolers are available with a bath shower combo setup.

When it comes to quality I feel 1978 says it all. Good luck on your shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn in Illinois View Post
Hello,
I would love to actually join the group of ownership of a fiberglass trailer, my husband and i currently camp in a 2008 T@B , which is a sweet little trailer, but we would love a bathroom for when we camp in bad weather. There is something so appealing about the "look" of a smaller molded fiberglass r.v.! I just can't seem to make myself like the white boxes, and am leary of their quality. Hoping by posting, we will find our new trailer before this season(we are in northern Illinois) Any advice from experience?We don't want to purchase without viewing first. Thanks and happy camping to all!!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #6

Name: buddy
Trailer: bigfoot b17/13 boler/15trillium
Ontario
Registry
We purchased our first trailer 17ft 89 bigfoot Picked it because it has washroom plus has 4burner stove with an oven so when the weather is bad It's just like home only smaller The fibreglass trailers are easy to tow with midsized car or in our case mini van. Good luck on your quest to find your F/G trailer
buddy hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #7

Name: buddy
Trailer: bigfoot b17/13 boler/15trillium
Ontario
Registry
Thumbs down Fish fry???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
There are some of us in the area with trailers that you can look at (that is, when the weather warms, so we can take the cover off). There are some rallies in the area this summer too. We are joining Roy Bakehorn's Fish Fry in May, however, we probably will be taking the cover off in early March.

We took the chance and bought our first Burro without seeing the inside. We saw it on ebay with pix of the insid; we drove past it but could not go inside as it was a car auction yard in Waukegan. We also bought our UHaul on ebay from pix. The thing is, these trailers are so durable, and if you are handy, they clean up well. You just have to watch out for scammers and getting a reasonable price for a fixer, a price that is not what the blue book says, as these trailers, because of their durability, do not depreciate like others do.

CindyL
WE will be passing through in may What & where is this fish fry maybe we could attend Thanks
buddy hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Buddy:

It is in Indiana. Here is the thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...fry-44871.html

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #9

Name: hoby
Trailer: 16 foot scamp
Illinois
Fish fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy hammond View Post
we will be passing through in may what & where is this fish fry maybe we could attend thanks
may 13-14-15 at phophetstown state park near lafayette in...it is a fun and wonderful event
HOBY MELTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #10

Name: hoby
Trailer: 16 foot scamp
Illinois
16 foot scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by borden View Post
one of the trailers we looked at was a 2010 t@b but it weighed more than than the 1978 17' boler we purchased. Bolers are available with a bath shower combo setup.

When it comes to quality i feel 1978 says it all. Good luck on your shopping.
we bought our sixteen foot scamp new in backus in 2008..has bath and shower and side dinette...live in romeoville
HOBY MELTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Lynn, I'm coming late to the party. Contact the molded trailer manufacturers... Scamp, Casita, both Trilliums and Escape. They all have lists of owners in your area. I agree, it's always best to view for yourself. BUT, the thousands of trailer owners on this forum can't all be wrong about the quality and unique nature of molded trailer ownership.

Good luck on your hunt.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn in Illinois View Post
Hello,
I would love to actually join the group of ownership of a fiberglass trailer, my husband and i currently camp in a 2008 T@B , which is a sweet little trailer, but we would love a bathroom for when we camp in bad weather. There is something so appealing about the "look" of a smaller molded fiberglass r.v.! I just can't seem to make myself like the white boxes, and am leary of their quality. Hoping by posting, we will find our new trailer before this season(we are in northern illinois) Any advice from experience?We don't want to purchase without viewing first. Thanks and happy camping to all!!
I am only about 35 miles from Aurora and I own a Scamp 13 deluxe with a front shower/head. You are welcome to come see it, if you like, contact me direct for more info.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote