Hi from Loyd in MN - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #1

Name: Loyd
Trailer: Escape
MN
Registry
Hi from Loyd in MN

Hi all! After 40 years of tent camping, and retirement approaching, my wife and I are looking at getting our first RV! We want to stay in touch with the outdoors and, ideally not have to replace my 2009 Subaru Forester as a TV. So we're looking at a 13' Scamp with the big bed and a shower, either used if we can find one or new. The plan is to use that for 2-3 years to see how the size work out, then decide if we want to move up to the 16' Scamp (of course we'd have to get a bigger TV, maybe something like a Jeep Grand Cherokee).

The online community of molded fiberglass trailers owners/enthusiasts is impressive! Kudos to all of you who take time to help us newbies out!
Lmitc210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Lloyd, and good choices, all! The Forester should make an adequate tow vehicle for a 13'er as long as you are careful with loading. You'll want to stick with a single LP tank to keep tongue weight under the 200 pound rating.

Scamp has a pretty long lead time on new orders. You might consider placing an order while you continue your search for a used unit. Last I heard they only require a $500 deposit, fully refundable right up until they start your build. Never hurts to ask about a cancellation, either. A factory visit would be a great way to kick off the buying experience. As a future owner it's good to see how they are put together.

Happy camping!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:07 PM   #3

MN
Registry
Thanks, Jon! And, you must be psychic! After spending about 3 hrs this evening browsing this forum's posts on tow weights, TVs, etc., I came to the conclusion that I should probably NOT go with the dual propane tanks as I was originally considering in order to keep the tongue weight down. If we decide to stick with the 13' Scamp but switch to a larger TV, I could always retro-fit a dual tank carrier at that time, I imagine.

Any, yes, your advice on ordering while looking was exactly what we were thinking. I confirmed from Scamp that the $500 deposit locks in the price, but is fully refundable as long as the trailer hasn't gone into production. We did visit the factory last weekend, since we're only about 2.5 hrs away. Staff were super friendly, and very No Pressure. The only thing is, at the time we were looking at a 16', and didn't go into any of the 13's, but now we're pretty sure we'll get a 13' (for reasons stated in my thread-opener).
Old 02-25-2018, 10:30 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Hello Lloyd from MN!

signed, Steve from MN.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:11 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Moving from a tent to a 13 footer is perfect. It will seem spacious. Its the folks that move from the motor coach to a small molded trailer that can have the most challenge. Getting one on order is smart. Endless threads on what options to get. And the options add weight.

Personally, showering in a small trailer is a non-starter for me. Its tight, really tight. But others do it. Shower and toilet mean fresh, gray and black water tanks.

Tongue weight is also driven by safety. Too light and you get sway. Figure 13% of what the trailer weighs loaded +/-.

Since you are relatively close, I'd go back, jump into the shower on the 13 and see how it fits. Compare it to the front bunk that you give up.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:49 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
moving

after 41 years of tent camping and at 76 did I say I am 76 with back surgery I had to give up. we started with an A-Liner neat camper but extensive back surgery forced us to a 13f scamper n/bathroom bareboned just the way we wanted.

one good thing we can now boondock and moochcamp thus saving us big money on campground fees. we primarily travel we are not really into the camping thing we have tented all over Europe 4 times by the way using a tent all 4 times.

I think you will find the 13f scamper to fill all your needs and more. kiss principle works everytime!

good luck and glad you are here

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Loyd,

come visit our group at the Mille Lacs Kathio gathering May 3-5. We don’t do an open house but people will be happy to show and talk about their Fiberglass trailers. There should still be non electric sites available for tents. I would guess the cabins are already booked as are the electric sites.

A lot of people get the 13 with the bath. Even if Fred and I ever moved up to the 16 we would not order a bath. We really like to use all available space at all times.

Our bare bones Scamp (no refrigerator, air conditioner or water tank) weighs in at 1600 pounds. With one propane tank (filled once in 10 years) and a group 27 battery our tongue weight is 200 pounds.

At Kathio our gathering space is at the Black “mothership”. It is surrounded by the eggs it has hatched.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:51 AM   #8

Missouri
nancy???

nancy our 13f scamper weights 100lb on the tongue. equipped the same as your 1 20lb tank 1 battery, we have a gas el. fridge you may want to weigh your tongue again.

I guess it doesn't matter much one way or the other just thought you might like to know!

bob
Old 02-26-2018, 09:13 AM   #9

Loyd,

There is a camping cabin available for Thursday, May 3 at Kathio. The only cabin available over the weekend is for the ADA one. Lots of us will be around Thursday night, however we often don’t have music that first night. If you are retired and could do the Thursday night cabin you would have lots of time to visit folks before having to head out on Friday.

Bob, our tongue weight is correct and was done by a pro. You really don’t want to try to lift it! We have no water in the back. Front might be a bit less now as our propane tank is low. We like the way things are, have *never* had any sway issues. The Honda use to sag down a bit in the rear. The Rav 4 takes the weight better. If we had ever been concerned about too much weight in the front we would have shifted stuff to the back.

Nancy
Old 02-26-2018, 09:35 AM   #10

Missouri
200lb tongue weight

well seems high but maybe you have more stuff than we do. most advice I have read is 10% of your weight on the tongue so I put a scale on ours and it weighed out exactly 100lb with the propane tank full.

bob
Old 02-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #11

Loyd,

I assume you have found under General Chat the sticky “Trailer weights in the real world”? We are # 15 in that list. One of our friends has a loaded 13 and her trailer weighs over 2,000 pounds. She too only had a single propane tank.

If we could have ordered a 10 pound tank we would have. We did not order a furnace. That has only been a problem when we want to boondock off season. As much as I hate the noise of a furnace it may have been a mistake to not have one. We usually have electricity and use an electric cube heater.

Nancy
Old 02-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmitc210 View Post
...at the time we were looking at a 16', and didn't go into any of the 13's, but now we're pretty sure we'll get a 13' (for reasons stated in my thread-opener).
I would encourage you to get inside a 13' model, preferably both with and without the front bath. I've read some comments that the front bath makes the space feel smaller. Coming from a tenting background, you may find you can get by without the bath, which saves cost, complexity, and weight. The front sofa model does have space to store a small porta-potty for emergencies or an occasional night without facilities.

We stay at developed campgrounds with facilities- state and county parks, mostly- and have managed without an onboard toilet or shower for five years. I find the front sofa and large window opens up the space a lot, and the sofa's angled backrest much more comfortable for lounging than the dinette's bolt-upright backrest. We are four, so there is room in day mode (all beds stowed) for everyone to be inside comfortably in inclement weather.

In terms of resale, 13'ers are in demand in both configurations. Once you get to 16'ers, most buyers expect a bath.

Just food for thought. Some people have the front bath and wouldn't have it any other way!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:44 PM   #13

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
13 Scamp

I have a13 with 1 tank “seldom used “. I listened to others & went with a small 1500 electric heater , does the job & is lightweight , no air as Fantastic Fan again works for me. I was also talked into the refrigerator so I wouldn’t have to go for ice every few days. I’m really happy with that suggestion. Unless you’re Boondocking , that set up will work. I’d recommend campground showers & a porta-potty ; this will save weight considerably. From a tent to a 13 , you’ll be in heaven!
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #14

MN
Registry
Thanks for the advice, Bill! My wife, though a real trooper when it comes to roughing it, likes the idea of the shower, plus I'm thinking it will make longer stays in out-of-the way sites more comfortable. I realize it takes up storage space and adds weight, so we'll see how it works out!
Old 03-03-2018, 11:10 AM   #15

MN
Registry
Thanks, Bob! I've read many, many of your posts on this forum.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #16

MN
Registry
Nancy, the gathering at Mille Lacs Kathio sounds appealing, but unfortunately we'll we traveling elsewhere that weekend for our son's wedding. Besides our trip to Backus a few weeks ago, we haven't been able to view any Scamps since most folks up here still have them snugly wrapped up in winter storage.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #17

Missouri
we just got back from a trouting trip camped in the tenting section with our 13er shower and bathroom was about 500f away. with a bath in a 13f camper I think its going to be really tight. we did finally break down and get a porta pottie for nights.

we loved camping in the desert we are going to do it again next year. our water use for a day was 1 gal there are plenty of water places in quartzite 25c a gal and seems we couldn't stay out of the junk stalls.

good luck on your search

bob

p/s if you see one you like better get a deposit on it and get there as soon as you can
Old 03-03-2018, 12:48 PM   #18

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Two things my wife won’t camp without: toilet and AC. Both add weight to the trailer of course. And the bathroom consumes all seating inside the trailer on a Scamp 13, unless you take up the bed every morning (major PITA)!

Living mostly outside is often the plan in a small molded trailer, but on longer trips and foul weather, inside seating is sweet.

That’s what got us to switch from a Casita 17. No place to sit without taking up the bed. Our Escape 19 has a queen sized full time bed and a generous dinette 44 inches deep (so it can sit four in a pinch). The dinette also serves as a back up bed if someone is sick or whatever.

Although I’ve owned campers off and on since 1985 I’ve never used the showers, way too tight for me. Now if I had a big trailer, sure, I’d do it. I’d probably consider an outside shower if I was buying new.

No way your Forester would handle an Escape or a Casita 17. Once you add plumbing to the Scamp I think you will be at or overweight too.

+10 on going to a rally. Once we went to our first rally we knew the Casita was leaving and we started shopping for an Escape. With the time it took to find one used I really should have just ordered a new one...
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #19

Missouri
tolerant wife

my wife will do whatever I want we have adventured in Alaska flew our tent 4x to Europe flew our tent. our latest the 13f scamper no b/r she tolerates that.

I think its great everyone can do what they want in camping you can have the 500k rig I guess that is camping down to an a-liner or a popup and still have fun.

if I can just get a little better off to Europe again with our tent. life is full of fun experiences!

bob
Old 03-04-2018, 01:46 AM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Our experience

Welcome, Lloyd!
We also changed from a tent to our Trillium 1300. We pulled it with our 2000 Subaru Outback (2K stick) and now with our 2014 Subaru Outback (2.7K auto).
We didn't get a furnace nor a fridge. We were tenters after all. We use an oil-filled space heater. No fan noise. (see photo)
We notice that a lot of people use their showers for storage. Open the shower door and it is stacked high with boxes.
We use a porti-potti for those necessary nighttime trips.
We use private RV, state, or county parks. While it does cost more than boondocking, (we have done that too) one has activities and facilities. We boondocked in a Walmart lot in Paso Robles only to be awakened at 3am by the street sweeper going by.
We used to travel for about 7 weeks to Arizona, Nevada, California, and Oregon from 2010 to 2016.
Attached Thumbnails
Feature Comfort.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote