Hi from Michigan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #1

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Currently shopping
Michigan
Hi from Michigan

I may never get on the road, but I'm dreaming of a small, under 1,000 lb, trailer that will sleep just me. I don't have much money, but I don't need much either. I can live without a bathroom or kitchen but might opt for either/both if available.
debwilson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:54 AM   #2

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Hi Deborah! Are you going to be a solitary camper? As a former ultralight/minimalist camper I would recommend the Parkliner. The engineering on the shape of the underside minimizes air turbulence and drag, and yu don't need stabilizer bars. The nice thing about Parkliner is that you can do a great deal of customization. If I had gone with them I would've done an all electric with no propane. The amount of storage space in the Parkliner is amazing! Yes, they have a toilet and shower! I would've left the dinette down and made up as a bed. They do have a small dinette at the side as well as the seats-5 dinette that converts.
Alternatively, there are tear drop trailers and motorcycle pop ups (aspen)that are also very lightweight. I was very interested in them in the past, before my health deteriorated. Need a usable-out-of-the-box camper now, the concept of being UNABLE to backpack or do lots of physical stuff never entered my mind back in the time I first started thinking about retirement travelling.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:24 AM   #3

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Look up mini mate . I have a Kompact Kamp ( original mini mate ) . I use it whenever I use my Miata . I also have a Scamp 13 . I love both . I bought a Jeep Cherokee v6 to pull my Scamp . A used Kompact Kamp will go around 1000$ on up . They are hard to find , so if you can afford it , I'd go with a new Mini Mate .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #4

Name: Jessie & Carl
Trailer: Scamp her name is Mae West
Missouri
mini camper

Hi! Did you see the Toad on today's posts? Adorable, and may be just what you are looking for! Says it is only 900#
Old 04-12-2016, 10:01 AM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Where in Mi. do you live ?
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Even the 13' fiberglass eggs tend to be over 1000 lbs. I think the Weiscraft Little Joe (made in CO) might be under that weight, but used ones are as rare as hen's teeth so you'd have to buy a new one. Have you seen the teardrops made by Little Guy Trailers? They have a teardrop model that's molded FG and would be very light and easy to tow.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:16 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
...I think the Weiscraft Little Joe (made in CO) might be under that weight,...
They start at 1100 pounds with icebox and stove, no AC.

Little Joe specs
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oops, my memory let me down! Thanks, Jon.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote