Hi from Mo - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2020, 04:56 AM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the market
Willard
Talking Hi from Mo

Hello, Everyone. Names Michael and while I do not have a fiberglass RV yet I am in the market for one. I came here hopefully looking for advice before I pull the trigger and order one.

I was thinking about 2 different ones currently.

16 Scamp with the 4th floor plan. Standard Option Package.
or
17 Deluxe Spirit Casita.

The Scamp says it will take until December/January to finish and tried calling Casita but got response yesterday so unsure how backed up they are. Dec/Jan is fine with me and I need to see when Casita can get one done.

My problem is I have never seen the inside of either and I really would. Scamp is no longer doing Tours because of Covid and Casita may be doing the same. Even then I would have to drive 12+ hours to look at one (I am willing but rather not)

If anyone has one of the above within 3 hours of Springfield MO and wouldn't mind letting me look around I would be appreciated. If not after I can get ahold of someone from Casita I will drive and check whichever one I decide on based on feedback here and order timing.
MichaelCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:14 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
There is a very active Casita forum. I bet there is an owner within 50 miles of you. I think the Scamp forum is active as well. I'd check those two. Most owners are more than happy to show their trailers to others. Of course, you should assure them you will use proper protection.

BTW, check what comes standard on these two trailers very carefully. You may be surprised what doesn't come standard. Last I knew, Casita came standard with an AC, but no furnace. Scamps can be had with very little features, or loaded, either way. Decide what is important to you and do not assume it is standard.

Friends of mine bought a camper from Camping World recently (not molded FG). A spare tire was not included......

Personally, I would NOT get a camper without a dinette separate from the bed (OK, my Trillium is an exception, but I use it for short trips/solo). So I would not get layout 4, but layout 6 looks good.

With the Scamp, I would definitely add 3 speed roof fan, a furnace, vinyl floor, and the larger refrigerator to that package you are considering.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:47 AM   #3

Willard
Thanks for reply.

I was having trouble picking out something that will meet my needs.

I need 1 full time bed (can be part of a bunk bed), but I also need at least 2 other places to sleep. Bunk beds work nicely and the queen bed can work.

The Scamp 4 will allow me to sleep normally on the bunk bed. I will replace the mattress with something much more comfortable.

I do not use tables and dinettes often so was wanting to find something where I can somehow rig a nice chair. I was thinking of removing the table and figuring out a way to make the seat much more comfortable.

I will also be full timing and require a bathroom. Which is why I like Plan 4 as it comes with bunk beds, queen bed, and a bathroom.

I am willing to increase the size and budget if you have a better recommendation for a fiberglass camper. I rather not spend more than $30k though for the right one I guess I can stretch that a little..
Old 05-30-2020, 07:27 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Just a heads-up on beds. There are no queen beds in either of the models you mentioned. RV beds sizes are all over the map, but very few in smaller trailers are anywhere close to standard residential sizes.

In the Scamp 16-4 the rear dinette bed is 45"x76". The front bunks are 24"x76" (26" if you remove the upper bunk and use just the lower bench). The curved corners reduce space. The lower bunk has limited headroom- barely enough to turn over without hitting the upper bunk. The upper bunk is weight-limited (Scamp says 150#, but I think 120# is more realistic). IMO the front bench makes a nice permanent bed for one adult of medium size, but only if you remove and leave the upper bunk at home (easy).

In the Casita 17 SD, the rear dinette bed is 54"x76". The side dinette bed is 24" wide, not sure the length. Casita has an option for bunks in place of the side dinette. You lose the large window and the upper bunk is only rated for 90#, so not as useful as Scamp's. Note that Casita 17's are very tongue-heavy (400-450# vs. 250-300# for the Scamp 16) as well as several hundred pounds heavier.

One model worth looking at is the Scamp deluxe layout A. Scamp deluxe (custom wood interior) models have a larger rear dinette bed (54" vs. 45" in the standard). Layout A has a small front dinette that converts to a child-size bed. Scamp will delete the corner closet so the bed is adult size if you ask. They will also build bunks in place of the dinette if you prefer the extra sleeping spot.

Another issue is bath size. The side bath in both standard and deluxe Scamps is really tiny and height-limited. Showers have to be taken while seated on the toilet. Casita's front bath is more usable.

I agree that getting a first-hand look is very important, but that's hard to do right now due to social distancing. Perhaps folks who are choosing to sit this season out and have units sitting in storage might be along to offer a demo.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:14 AM   #5

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Just a heads-up on beds. There are no queen beds in either of the models you mentioned. RV beds sizes are all over the map, but very few in smaller trailers are anywhere close to standard residential sizes.

In the Scamp 16-4 the rear dinette bed is 45"x76". The front bunks are 24"x76" (26" if you remove the upper bunk and use just the lower bench). The curved corners reduce space. The lower bunk has limited headroom- barely enough to turn over without hitting the upper bunk. The upper bunk is weight-limited (Scamp says 150#, but I think 120# is more realistic). IMO the front bench makes a nice permanent bed for one adult of medium size, but only if you remove and leave the upper bunk at home (easy).

In the Casita 17 SD, the rear dinette bed is 54"x76". The side dinette bed is 24" wide, not sure the length. Casita has an option for bunks in place of the side dinette. You lose the large window and the upper bunk is only rated for 90#, so not as useful as Scamp's. Note that Casita 17's are very tongue-heavy (400-450# vs. 250-300# for the Scamp 16) as well as several hundred pounds heavier.

One model worth looking at is the Scamp deluxe layout A. Scamp deluxe (custom wood interior) models have a larger rear dinette bed (54" vs. 45" in the standard). Layout A has a small front dinette that converts to a child-size bed. Scamp will delete the corner closet so the bed is adult size if you ask. They will also build bunks in place of the dinette if you prefer the extra sleeping spot.

Another issue is bath size. The side bath in both standard and deluxe Scamps is really tiny and height-limited. Showers have to be taken while seated on the toilet. Casita's front bath is more usable.

I agree that getting a first-hand look is very important, but that's hard to do right now due to social distancing. Perhaps folks who are choosing to sit this season out and have units sitting in storage might be along to offer a demo.

Best wishes!

My Escape 19 has a full queen, not a short queen.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:33 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Yes, and there are a couple of other true queens in small (or smallish, since I don’t think of an E19 as exactly small) molded trailers. Parkliner and Lil Snoozy both have 60”x80” true queens.

If you include fifth wheels you get a few more.

I don’t know if any of those meet the OP’s other requirements. I didn’t sense the queen bed was a primary requirement, but since he mentioned it in passing I thought it worth pointing out the great variation.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:41 AM   #7

Registry
+100 manufacturers play fast and loose when describing bed size. For example, they will call a 24 inch wide bed twin size. A real twin is 39 inches wide. Ditto on the terms “full” size and “big” bed. The Scamp full size is actually just slightly larger than a twin. And their big bed is full sized.

Given your requirements I would be looking at an Escape 19.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:17 PM   #8

Willard
Thanks for the great information.

Sorry I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I do not need a Queen. From what I understand though the bunks will not work for me due to the weight limit.

What I am going to be doing is this:

At the end of May 2021 i will be traveling a Poker Series (WSOP-c). I will be solo and will be full timing it for the full series and the main at 2022 will be my stopping point in my planning phase. This will require me to travel all over the US multiple times and I will feel more at home in a RV than a hotel.

I am a very minimalist person. I own a large home currently which is being sold and All my stuff could fit in a back of a pickup. My room mates mostly use the house and I just use my bedroom. I haven't even used the kitchen in years including the fridge as I am fine with room temp water.

What is important to me is the bed, AC, heating, toilet, and a comfortable chair. A van would have worked for me but I couldn't do the AC like I wanted and figured a small camper will work better.

My brother may also ride with me sometimes and would need a place to sleep.

I have not bought a truck yet as I wanted the camper ordered first an I then can spend the next few months searching for something that would work for it.

I am a big guy so would love the bed to be 76 inches or longer but the width is fine being narrow as long as it is 26 inches+.

I also work a lot of hours on my computer and with my back issues I tend to do most of the work in a very comfortable chair where I can put my feet up and have the laptop on my lap. I have not used a table in a very long time so dinettes are really wasted on me.

The bedding will also be replaced and I can custom size it to fit whatever. i will be doing pure latex of either 8 or 12 inches depending on how they feel.

I will check out the 19 escape.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:06 PM   #9

Registry
For two adults, my favorite choice is the Escape 5th wheel. It will be over your budget.

They have an option for two TWIN beds up front instead of a single bed. And the twins are relatively wide, 36 inch as I recall.

Obviously requires a truck as a tow vehicle, any full size pickup of your choice should work.

You might get Escape to delete the rear dinette, and possibly install chairs. I do not know. They are more flexible than Casita and Scamp.

A place to sit (a chair counts) is critical in my book for rainy days, later evenings, eating inside, etc.

The only reason I do not have an Escape 5th wheel is I am an amateur picker. On any trip, my pickup tends to be full of items I have acquired along the way.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I am in STL and you are welcome to see mine.
Im warning you though I have some radical ideas when it comes to tiny trailers!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:01 AM   #11

Willard
Thanks for the response. Been super busy getting house ready.

Thanks Ed Harris for the offer and I may take you up on it in the near future when you have time. This week I am super busy though but I hope my house goes under contract soon which will free up my time. If it does not sell as fast as I hope I will be hurting for time as I have a trip to the west coast I need to do in the middle of the month.

The big reason why I was thinking Scamp and Casita is they tend to have good resell value after a few years. My plan is for one year full timing and depending how that goes I will do it for a second year. Beyond that my plan was to buy a new house and travel internationally part time. If I do this I rather not keep the camper in storage though this is still possible if I enjoy it to much.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
My Escape 19 has a full queen, not a short queen.
As does my 5.0TA. As well does the 21NE, and possibly the upcoming 23.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:18 PM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2012 Lil Snoozy w Forester
Illinois
I have a 17 foot Lil Snoozy if interested. Loaded and in great shape. Located in Chicagoland area. Looking to sell due to health issues. Let’s know if interested
DavArl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:40 PM   #14

Name: Herb
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th Wheel
TX
Log onto www.ScampTrailers.com. You can pick the model and finish for the interior. They have pictures of interior and exterior. I purchased a used 19 ft 5th wheeler and have no regrets. Not knowing what your tow vehicle will be but you can't do wrong getting a Scamp or a Casita.

Yank

P.S. Happy Camping no matter what you purchase.
Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:28 PM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Agreed.. there is nothing better than seeing them in person. Normally I would suggest calling Scamp (or Casita, etc) for names of owners who show their campers, and / or going to a rally. COVID might be an obstacle but mine is in storage at my house and I would have no worries about someone looking it over. Even if they had the virus, it would be long dead before I used the camper. Too bad that I am too far from you.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:13 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
My problem is I have never seen the inside of either and I really would. Scamp is no longer doing Tours because of Covid and Casita may be doing the same. Even then I would have to drive 12+ hours to look at one (I am willing but rather not)

If anyone has one of the above within 3 hours of Springfield MO and wouldn't mind letting me look around I would be appreciated. If not after I can get ahold of someone from Casita I will drive and check whichever one I decide on based on feedback here and order timing.
I recommend that you do look at trailers "in real life", and perhaps broaden your search to include Escape as another option. The manufacturers have traditionally provided prospective buyers with contact information for people who are willing to show their trailers; I don't know how or if Covid has affected this practice.
I have not bought a truck yet as I wanted the camper ordered first an I then can spend the next few months searching for something that would work for it.
I think this is an excellent plan. I suggest you simply use the gross weight rating (GVWR) for the trailer, including at least 10% of that figure as the tongue load, to shop for a tow vehicle. By the way, Casita 17's are notoriously tongue-heavy; about 425 lbs.

Also, it's critical to learn how payload limitations can make the tow vehicle's "published towing capacity" meaningless; seriously. Many travel trailer owners have purchased trucks that weren't nearly as capable as the sales people (or the published "maximum capacities") suggested. This has resulted in folks having to outright replace their tow vehicle at great expense, so learning more is in your interest.
I do not use tables and dinettes often so was wanting to find something where I can somehow rig a nice chair. I was thinking of removing the table and figuring out a way to make the seat much more comfortable.

I also work a lot of hours on my computer and with my back issues I tend to do most of the work in a very comfortable chair where I can put my feet up and have the laptop on my lap. I have not used a table in a very long time so dinettes are really wasted on me.
Comfortable seating is not a feature of these little trailers so, yes, you'll need to arrange something on your own. If you are planning on adding a chair, be aware that the dinette seats generally contain utilities such as electrical and plumbing, so they will have to remain in place. This approach fits best with your intention to resell anyway.
I will also be full timing and require a bathroom. Which is why I like Plan 4 as it comes with bunk beds, queen bed, and a bathroom.
Hopefully you understand the limitations of RV holding tanks, the sometimes limited availability of full-hookup sites, the potentially limited availability of sites on the tour, etc. These little trailers have significant limitations, and you will need to dump the holding tanks fairly often if your site doesn't have sewer service. RVing also requires a certain amount of day-to-day "fussing" just to keep the rigs operational.

And finally, best of luck on the tour. It sounds like an adventure in the making.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:43 AM   #17
DJD

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Casita
Louisiana
"Note that Casita 17's are very tongue-heavy (400-450# vs. 250-300# for the Scamp 16) as well as several hundred pounds heavier." and a second mention of same. True - I have the 17 SD. BUT - there are ways you can mitigate this and to differing degrees by your own choosing. I'll list a few things I did that helped. 1) I made a plywood jig to replace one of the propane bottles that sit on the front tongue and simply leave home with one "full" bottle. I use a bathroom scale to determine how full. One bottle has always been more than enough for us; you actual mileage may vary but these appliances are propane stingy. 2) I had a dual receiver hitch welded onto the rear trailer frame and I carry a cargo tray with a large storage box on it. Sometimes we alternatively use a bike rack in the upper socket of the dual hitch and haul two bikes + rack (??-75 lbs). Casita trailers are really short on storage space so this comes in handy for my propane stove, spare water hose, gear bag with hatchet, tent pegs, rope, wood kindling, etc. This cost a couple hundred dollars to have done but is well worth the storage as well as helping tongue weight. 3) fresh water tank - though not advisable for marathon trips over rough roads, you can choose to put some water in your fresh water tank which is located close to the rear of the trailer. To add this up 1) lose 30 lbs off the tongue 2) add 80 lbs on the rear ( takes about 40 lbs off the tongue due to axle location) 3) you choose the volume of water but even 10 gals of water weighs 73 lbs (removes 36 off the tongue).

Therefore, it is not only helpful for to offset the excessive tongue weight, but gives you convenient storage. The rear cargo box remains on the trailer while camping and works out really well. If you choose to have the dual receiver welded on, that will add just a little more weight than removing the propane bottle from the front tongue; so you took 30 lbs off the tongue and added 50 lbs to the rear. Your net loss of tongue weight is about 50 lbs and total net gain only 20 lbs. You are not obliged to carry the cargo tray, storage box, water, etc., so you simply gain options. Sort of related - I've not had trouble with the dual receiver scraping pavement, but even before that mod, I scraped the rear bumper leaving a steep parking lot (only once). I know to look for such places now but wish I had the higher ground clearance of the higher axle, (a Casita option). I bought our Casita 17SD used and before the axle was even marketed and did not feel the need to do an expensive conversion.

You are probably aware by now, but good tires and wheel bearing maintenance are especially important on a single axle trailer, whichever you choose. With all this said about tongue weight, be aware not to remove too much since sway tendency increases. This is where a friction sway bar comes in handy if you have a large tow vehicle. If you are borderline with your tow, you will want weight distribution as well. Good luck!
DJD is offline   Reply With Quote