Hi, From Oregon - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2017, 10:45 AM   #1

Name: Annie
Trailer: Parkliner
Oregon
Hi, From Oregon

Good Morning Everyone,

My husband Rob and myself (Annie) are new to this forum. We are currently just started looking for a small (13') fiberglass trailer. My parents have in the past had a 13' Scamp Type 1 floorplan and a Bigfoot trailers. We have also viewed online the HC1 and find it flexible with the modular floorplans.

Since we just started looking, we are open to other manufactures than just Scamp, Happier Camper and Bigfoot. We can also take on some fixing/ restro work if needed. We have done some repair work and updating to fiberglass pop-up trailers in the past.

Currently we have a 1976 Apache Royale popup hard side tent trailer. We will be selling the popup in the near future to make room. We really like our apache trailer but have come to realize that with the type of camping we like to do (stay a night or two in a campground then travel to our next location) and our aching joints, that having to constantly setup/takedown a popup isn't realistic for us to keep doing.

If anyone hears of a 13' trailer in the Oregon/ Washington/ N. California area for sale (even if it needs work) we may be interested. A bathroom isn't required for us, but a long bed is (Rob is 6'2").

Thank You and I look forward to talking/learning from everyone
Annie
AnnieSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:43 PM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Welcome.

This is the best place I've found, along with keeping an eye on craigslist. Notice that you can pick the different trailer manufacturers from a dropdown at the top, either in the US or Canada (I found my Bigfoot in Canada and drove up to get it).

Good luck!
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
...or Canada (I found my Bigfoot in Canada and drove up to get it).
For the most part it's straightforward, but there are a few potential pitfalls. The same website has a helpful article about importing trailers from Canada to the US. It's at the bottom of the "Canada" menu. Remember when you're shopping Canadian trailers the exchange rate is in your favor, so you get a discount of about 24% as of today.

Best wishes in your "egg hunt"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #4

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Annie,

Welcome! Wishing you the best as you hunt for your 13' egg!

Take care,

Dean
Old 01-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #5

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieSnyder View Post
Good Morning Everyone,

My husband Rob and myself (Annie) are new to this forum. We are currently just started looking for a small (13') fiberglass trailer. My parents have in the past had a 13' Scamp Type 1 floorplan and a Bigfoot trailers. We have also viewed online the HC1 and find it flexible with the modular floorplans.

Since we just started looking, we are open to other manufactures than just Scamp, Happier Camper and Bigfoot. We can also take on some fixing/ restro work if needed. We have done some repair work and updating to fiberglass pop-up trailers in the past.

Currently we have a 1976 Apache Royale popup hard side tent trailer. We will be selling the popup in the near future to make room. We really like our apache trailer but have come to realize that with the type of camping we like to do (stay a night or two in a campground then travel to our next location) and our aching joints, that having to constantly setup/takedown a popup isn't realistic for us to keep doing.

If anyone hears of a 13' trailer in the Oregon/ Washington/ N. California area for sale (even if it needs work) we may be interested. A bathroom isn't required for us, but a long bed is (Rob is 6'2").

Thank You and I look forward to talking/learning from everyone
Annie
I love my Apache I would go with a 16 more room
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #6

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Welcome, Annie

You might consider interior head height in your search. Scamp 13s and Scamp 16s have interior heights of only 6ft 3in. - may not be comfortable for someone who is 6' 2"...it wasn't for my son.

I have a Scamp 13 Deluxe w. bathroom...and do bump my head getting into the bathroom - and i'm 5ft 6in.

The one thing I regret not having in my 13 footer is the extra table/seating that you get with 16 footers, and space for a microwave.

If you live in the Portland area, you're welcome to take a look at my Scamp 13. Send me a private msg.
Good luck in your search.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:21 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Annnie, I wouldn't rule out the 13' just because of the height, as it only takes two steps to get from one end to the other, and most all the time one is sitting unless cooking.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #8

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Welcome to the forum! I see that's your first post. We, too, used to have a tent-trailer and got really tired of the cranking up and down and set-up every night or two! Plus it really had "no" insulation, not even a dead air space or carpet or the rubber lining.

We found a 1973 amerigo on this site, and after 9 months of repairing it, we got in five camping trips with it last year. FAR better than a tent-trailer! And always good for some friendly meetings because, being a 1973 AND fiberglass (egg-like; it's a little more square than many) people don't kow what on earth it IS.

Wishing you good hunting and happy trails!

BEST
Kai
Old 01-19-2017, 06:00 PM   #9

Name: Annie
Trailer: Parkliner
Oregon
Good Afternoon Everyone,

The head height on a Scamp is about the same as what we currently have in our Apache Trailer. My husband's head almost touches the ceiling. When my parents had their Scamp, my husband and I, went in their trailer several times and my husband was able to move around. So we think the ceiling height will be ok. Plus, like it was mentioned, usually your sitting down inside. I also prefer to do the cooking outside if possible.

We will be going to the local RV/trailer show in March to look at new trailers as a comparison but we would like an older trailer (model ?) with a good floor, as I don't currently have the garage room to take a trailer apart (my husband has his car in the garage for restoration/ratrod). I can take on an inside trailer update if needed. Especially if that means I can create a larger bed.

I would like to stay with a 13' if possible, as I know it would fit on the parking pad. A 16' may fit on the parking pad but I am worried that our road is too narrow to be able to maneuver it onto the parking pad without asking my neighbor's to move their cars (but that is an option).

Once we find the right trailer I will be asking many questions on how others have done their updates.

If anyone see a 13' trailer around Oregon/Washington N California, please let me know. I will be watching the local Craigslist.

Hope everyone is thawing out (Portland, OR is finally thawing)
Anjanette
AnnieSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote