Hi from Tacoma WA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Scamp 16
Washington
Hi from Tacoma WA

New owner of a 1987 gutted and abused scamp 16. I got a hot deal on it so couldn't resist. Some of you have already seen the pics of it on CL in WA. Here's a few more, yikes! I've been cleaning all mold, rust, goo off the interior. Walls and ceiling is covered in a white (maybe in 87) elephant skin looking rubber. Floor is almost removed, gonna replace with marine plywood/insulate/heated floor pad and floating wood floor. Got all the windows and the door removed. Drilled out most all of rivets and removed all the rusty hardware. Tomorrow gonna try and remove the shell from the frame so i can get the rusted out frame members replaced and a new axle with electric brakes (25 degrees up?) I've been gleaning all your posts on how to do this and that, Thanks! I'm not having much luck with the search. I type in what I'm looking for and get a ton of stuff not related to what i need, any pointers would be greatly accepted
Attached Thumbnails
bunk area.JPG   left rear dinnet.JPG  

interior.JPG   frame 1.JPG  

call an electric guru.JPG   ding1.JPG  

tongue.JPG   inside skin door.JPG  

JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Hi Jeff...Welcome!
When I'm searching for stuff on this site I find it easier to do a Google search and include FGRV with whatever I'm searching for....Works way better!
Good luck!
Emily
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #3

Name: john & sheri
Trailer: 19' scamp
Washington
Registry
new here also. WOW, you have a lot more ambition than I do. One of the good points is you are saving a scamps life. thanks
jackstrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:30 AM   #4

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Our boler has leaf springs, 3500 lb axle, electric brakes, we added monroe shock retro fit kit with rv shocks and required breakaway switch,.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:35 AM   #5

Ontario
Registry
Welcome many in club will try to help with any and all questions just ask.
If we do not know we will direct you to someone that has worked at the item in question. Respect what you are doing in the end you will be a expert that we will ask for help.
Some newer units like the '1978 boler' have a 3/16" fiberglass subfloor
Old 02-17-2011, 04:39 AM   #6

Ontario
Registry
"Walls and ceiling is covered in a white (maybe in 87) elephant skin looking rubber" Our boler still has the original white insulating wall covering you call elephant skin. Some posts give good ideas on replacement. learning every day from reading others ideas.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
Hi Jeff; just up the road here (outside of Purdy). If you need any pointers or assistance on working fiberglass repairs, let me know, as I spent 36 years at Boeing and have resin in the bloodstream.
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #8

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bese View Post
Hi Jeff; just up the road here (outside of Purdy). If you need any pointers or assistance on working fiberglass repairs, let me know, as I spent 36 years at Boeing and have resin in the bloodstream.
Great ! I see you're just up the road. I could definitely use some pointers working with fiberglass. Ie: I got a bunch holes to bondo. After I sand em down what do i use to prime and spot paint with? I'm still undecided if I should repaint the whole thing... I think I may be able to bring the gel coat back to life. I have looked in the forums, it's helpful but a bit confusing, so many ideas.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #9

Washington
Progress! Got the trailer remove and the shell up on blocks
Attached Thumbnails
image-3347663251.jpg   image-743083611.jpg  

image-3409026361.jpg  
Old 02-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
Bondo? If it's just screw holes; it's OK, but if there is any cracking or breaks in the fiber; then that's another story
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: Roadtrek 170P
Washington
Hey Jeff, looks like a fun project! Heidi and I are looking for something to do a full rebuild on too. Hopefully we can find one of those "hot deals" too I will be gutting it right away too. Following your build will be fun for us! Hope all goes well!

-Mike
97 Roadtrek 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
http://WWW.VanTramps.Com
Mike in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Jeff, I responded in this topic: 16' project scamp Bellingham wa $1000 . It was advertised as a 2001.... so you actually bought it and it's a 1987? Not that it makes any difference, but do you know WHY it was so structurally trashed? Windows and vents left open? Poor baby, good to see you're bringing it back to life
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #13

Washington
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Jeff, I responded in this topic: 16' project scamp Bellingham wa $1000 . It was advertised as a 2001.... so you actually bought it and it's a 1987? Not that it makes any difference, but do you know WHY it was so structurally trashed? Windows and vents left open? Poor baby, good to see you're bringing it back to life
Not sure it's history. I was was toying with idea of building a teardrop because of its lightweight nature. I saw this one for sale and figured it would cost about the same for the parts and this way I get 4x the the room and its standing height versus a flop house on wheels. So even an ugly ol gutted scamp is a much better starting point that building a teardrop from scratch
Old 02-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #14

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
Not sure it's history. I was was toying with idea of building a teardrop because of its lightweight nature. I saw this one for sale and figured it would cost about the same for the parts and this way I get 4x the the room and its standing height versus a flop house on wheels. So even an ugly ol gutted scamp is a much better starting point that building a teardrop from scratch
Whoohoo! Called Scamp today and ordered a new axle, ALL the hardware inside and out to put the scamp back together. Should be here by Saturday. I was concerned about shipping costs because of what was said in the forums. Shipping is very reasonable! Everything except the axle is coming via UPS
Old 02-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily R. View Post
Hi Jeff...Welcome!
When I'm searching for stuff on this site I find it easier to do a Google search and include FGRV with whatever I'm searching for....Works way better!
Good luck!
Emily
Emily, The SEARCH pulldown above right has a site specific Google search for FGRV. It's close to the bottom.

Jeff, check out the Glass Clown site for tips on fiberglass repair. You probably don't want use Bondo to plug holes if you want a durable repair.

http://glassclownboats.com/default.aspx

Regards,

Matt
Old 02-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #16

Name: Alison
Trailer: 1974 Aer-flo 14R
Nova Scotia
Registry
Welcome Jeff,

I just love the idea of the rebuild on your new / older scamp. I will be checking for new updates and photos of your progress. I am from Canada and I thought our weather was tough on trailers but I think you may have found a winner. I bet it will look great after you are done. Good Luck with the renovations.
Alison Cape Breton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jeff what the story behind this?
Looking at the gap at the bottom of the door it looks like the whole trailer may have been sitting in 4' of water - which would explain the total floor rootl. Caught in a flood zone?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #18

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Jeff what the story behind this?
Looking at the gap at the bottom of the door it looks like the whole trailer may have been sitting in 4' of water - which would explain the total floor rootl. Caught in a flood zone?
Dunno it's history. UPS is coming today! All new hardware in 3 boxes and the new axle is coming tomorrow. I'll post pics of all the goodies needed so far for a full redo of my 16' scamp. The Atwood heater came in last week. I chose it based on low voltage to operate an supposedly quiet fan.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #19

Washington
Whoohoo, repair goodies have arrived!
Attached Thumbnails
image-718804467.jpg  
Old 03-01-2011, 05:03 AM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Let the fun begin! Jeff where did you get the rear LED lights?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote