Hi from the SF Bay Area - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #1

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Currently looking
California
Hi from the SF Bay Area

I currently don't have an RV but intend on getting one in the future. My wife and I are older and want to put our stuff in storage and travel around the US for a year or longer visiting relatives in MN, NC, TN, CA, OH, etc. We will probably stay for extended periods of time and use the trailer mainly for sleeping. I starting out looking at Class A motorhomes but have been looking smaller and smaller which brings me to this site.

We currently have a 2004 Odyssey with a class 3 hitch that we could use as a TV if we picked a small enough trailer but the 2 things we want are at least a queen size bed and a real toilet, essentially a motel room on wheels.

I have been reading all I can about towing with a minivan and I may have to step up to a better tow vehicle although we love the van and the mileage. I used to have a Suburban which I really liked and of course it would make a great TV but I would like to get the better gas mileage of the minivan or smaller SUV.

I read somewhere about a spreadsheet that listed trailer bed sizes but haven't found it and it seems like we need to get to close to 20' to get what we want in a trailer and that would definitely rule out the Odyssey. I am pretty sure we want to stay with a smallish travel trailer.
Olypentax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Bruce, welcome to FiberglassRV. You've landed on a niche site for molded fiberglass trailers... eggs as we call them and typically about as small There are several brands now that you can either configure to a larger bed or has a larger permanent bed. Look around here and ask questions. But know, these are campers... not RVs at least not as I think of an RV.

Here's a thread that discusses bed sizes, sorry it's not cleaner... you'll need to pick through it: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...zes-29849.html

We're glad you're here.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #3

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
welcome! your trip will be so much fun! there are a number of small trailers that offer a good sized bed. unfortunately, the kind i have isn't one of them!

that being said.....we manage fine and we are not small people. you may be surprised at how comfortable you can be on a smaller sized mattress.

i am sure that there will be plenty of offerings from different "family" members on this forum, leading you toward the trailer that will be perfect for you.
good luck !
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #4

California
Thanks for the welcome's and the thread with the bed sizes, helpful.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #5

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
For whatever it's worth, we have a 17 ft Egg Camper. We've towed it with our Chrysler minivan and also with our Chevy 1500 pickup. Both towed well but gas mileage is actually better with the V8 Chevy than with the V6 minivan.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
For whatever it's worth, we have a 17 ft Egg Camper. We've towed it with our Chrysler minivan and also with our Chevy 1500 pickup. Both towed well but gas mileage is actually better with the V8 Chevy than with the V6 minivan.
Thanks, that is exactly the information I am looking for. I am very apprehensive about towing with the Ody and probably will go with a PU, SUV or Van. I am also wondering which of these is the most useful. It seems like most TV's are PU's although I am leaning toward a SUV or full size Van.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
cool plans. we are getting a 13 foot scamp for basicly the same purpose when we retire in a little over a year.
we have been camping in a tear drop for a couple years so have a good idea on what we need to be comfortable.
you may prefer 16 or 17 foot, or even bigger. you might want to look around and rent something for a weekend to test things out.
'when you travel you might want to consider being a "camp host".
many state and national camp ground use them. basicly you great campers, help them locate their site, check over the campgrounds every day to see if theres any problems, answer questions about local things to do and see. no cleaning or repairs or maint. work. you volunteer about 30 hours a week and get a free camping site. makes visiting friends and family for a month or two pretty affordable when you don't have to pay park fee's.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote