Hi, glad to be here! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #1

Name: Julie
Trailer: Future Casita Owner
North Central Texas
Hi, glad to be here!

Hi all,
I'm Jool and have been silently lurking in the forum for a while. I'm not an RV owner yet, but have my sights set on a 17' Casita within the next couple years, when I'm closer to being retired. In the meantime I'm following blogs and forums to learn all I can about this lifestyle - especially the fulltime life.

I'm glad to be here!
Jool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Welcome

This is a good place to get an education about these trailers.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:34 PM   #3

North Central Texas
Thanks Frederick!
Old 11-17-2011, 06:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
HI Julie, welcome to FiberglassRV. We're glad you're here too!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:08 AM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
jool---welcome! and i am glad that you have stopped lurking and stepped into the light!! everyone is welcome here---that is what is so wonderful about this forum! as you prepare for your fulltiming future, you will meet tons of new friends and pave the way to some terrific years travelling around in your one-day-to-be-yours 17' casita!!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Welcome Jool! You are doing this the right way. I usually check out forums after I've bought something. RVing, especially full timing, is a state of mind as much as anything. If you have the mindset, that's what really matters.

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry

Name:   41gL2h9DCVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  17.7 KB
A ton of information on this site.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #8

North Central Texas
Thanks, I agree that it is a frame of mind. I know I'll make it work, just get impatient and don't want to wait the couple years before I'm at that point!

Yes, I usually look things up after the fact too - but this was a bit expensive to do that. (investing in a tow vehicle +Casita!)
Old 11-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
¡Hola! from Las Cruces, New Mexico. Welcome to the Forum.

Good Luck with your Quest for a Trailer. Being from North Texas, you shouldn't be to far from the Factory which should be a big PLUS for a Casita. Yep, getting a Trailer with the correct tow vehicle should be a major must have. I hope you can find the right combo for you & be able to get them before you are retired. Might as well get used to it as soon as possible.

We began towing our trailer with a 2003 Ford Ranger, but have gone to a full sized pickup now. Ranger did good, but with the F-150, we know we have more than enough power & weight to control the trailer.
2005 16' Scamp with Side Dinette, Front Shower & Head
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab with Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper

With the topper, we have plenty of storage.

If your are planning on full timeing, you will need some storage. I'd think.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #10

North Central Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post
¡Hola! from Las Cruces, New Mexico. Welcome to the Forum.

Good Luck with your Quest for a Trailer. Being from North Texas, you shouldn't be to far from the Factory which should be a big PLUS for a Casita. Yep, getting a Trailer with the correct tow vehicle should be a major must have. I hope you can find the right combo for you & be able to get them before you are retired. Might as well get used to it as soon as possible.
Adrian, thanks! I do plan to travel to Rice, TX to visit the Casita factory. I would love to get my rig (or is that r-egg) early - I'd love to go to some rallies between now and retirement. I'm so egg-cited it is hard to wait!!
Old 11-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #11

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jool View Post
Adrian, thanks! I do plan to travel to Rice, TX to visit the Casita factory. I would love to get my rig (or is that r-egg) early - I'd love to go to some rallies between now and retirement. I'm so egg-cited it is hard to wait!!
Actually Jool, getting it early makes sense in many ways. No matter how well you research things, NOTHING will educate you to what works best for YOU like actual experience. Being able to take some shorter trips before you take the big leap will allow you to fine tune. I'll tell you one thing that will happen for sure. You will leave on the first trip loaded to the gills with stuff you think you can't live without. After tripping over it all for a week, and cussing in 3 languages, you won't be able to wait to get rid of it! Everytime I roll out it is with less stuff, and better choices, and I'm happier.

Aside from that, you will create an intimate space in that trailer that is hard to explain. Like a dog in a den I guess . You may find it a nice place to just go read, or daydream about where you will be in a couple years. I really enjoy just being in mine,...for no particular reason at all

David
Old 11-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #12

North Central Texas
Adrian, thank you for those photos, they are great! I'm always looking for photos of folks' rigs, the inside of the trailers, etc., since I don't have my own yet. I agree the tow vehicle will need to compensate for storage space (or lack thereof) . I'm thinking a cargo van with all the towing bells and whistles I can get... (haven't done my research there yet, tho). Another reason I think a 17' fiberglass is perfect, so that I won't have so much weight to pull. And I like the shortness factor so I can back it into spaces when need be.
Thanks!
Old 11-20-2011, 07:10 AM   #13

North Central Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
Aside from that, you will create an intimate space in that trailer that is hard to explain. Like a dog in a den I guess . You may find it a nice place to just go read, or daydream about where you will be in a couple years. I really enjoy just being in mine,...for no particular reason at all

David
David, I like your thinking! Funny I never considered getting it early - I've got this timeline in my mind for some reason of why I CAN'T start early. You've planted a seed of interest here, and I will be looking at how I CAN get into it earlier.

Also I really like your quote above - about the intimate space, like a dog in a den. That makes sense! I live in a small home (about 950 sq ft). I *still* have too much room. I'm either in my "computer nest area" (where I also read, watch TV, etc) or I'm sitting in bed reading, sleeping. So even now I utilize much less space than I have. I have always been one to enjoy small cozy spaces.

That is one of the things I look so forward to in my Casita. Not having excess space, and utilizing all of what I have. I have taken a close look at my life, and the inside aspect of Trailer living really appeals to me - with the bonus of having the entire world outside my door!

And you're right about the "stuff" - I have a lot to learn yet as to just what would be essential to carry with me!
Old 11-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #14

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jool View Post
I have taken a close look at my life, and the inside aspect of Trailer living really appeals to me - with the bonus of having the entire world outside my door!
Exactly. The world is your house. People don't get it for the most part. They can't believe I "live" in such a small space. I don't "live" in there. I shelter in there. I live in the world. The smaller my shelter, the bigger my world. I've always liked small spaces as well. I enjoy making use of limited space. I've always been a minimalist, and it is a life long disposition to reduce even further. Actually, the storage in my trailer is only maybe 60% filled. I keep emptiness in the rest of the cabinets . Emptiness to me is a real thing. I like just looking at it, plus it travels light and doesn't get broken. Maybe that is weird

I think you landed in the wrong place if you ever hope to last 2 years for your Casita
David