Hi I am... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: Still Shopping
Washington
Hi I am...

Linda in Wa. I don't have any trailer (yet) of any kind. I'm still shopping around. Fiberglass intrigued me with that odd egg kind of shape thing they've got going on. Figured I might take a chance and look into them. Only trouble seems to be my family (oy vey! Not They!!).
It's begining to seem as though these cute little trailers were not intended for a family greater in size than 4. Alas, we have 5 (6 if you want to count the faithful mutt). 3 extremely short people (well, actually 2 that are only kind of short, the other one really is very short) and 2 adults.
I've looked into and actually picked up the phone and called the Scamp Company, but so far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be any other company making these things with sleeping space for 5 or 6. While the person I spoke to was extremely nice, Scamp is comming across in reviews as a little Bi-Polar. There doesn't seem to be any happy medium. It's either "I totally love it" or "OMG. Biggest Mistake EVER!".
Figured I'd come and ask around about other people's rigs. Perhaps there is one that would meet the needs of my family after all? Or maybe I'm completely off my rocker to listen (or even relatively consider) to epinions.com reviews?
So, I guess I'm fishing?
I'd really like for people to share their:
Thoughts? Opinions? Any ideas? Suggestions on where to look? Or if I should just hold onto the dream until the short people decide they want to live in their own houses and move out of mine?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for looking and/or helping.

Linda
Linda in Wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
5th wheel maybe? Scamp makes one
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:48 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Linda, you have found out the limitations of small molded trailers; the number of sleeping beds. As Bruce mentioned, the Scamp fiver w/side bath, does sleep six. Two in the loft, two on the gaucho (bunks) and two in the dinette. Other owners have managed more than four by using the floor and area under the rear dinette; built bunks over the rear dinette too. But, right from the factory? None are available that I know of. You may want to read this topic for ideas and suggestions: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ans-24745.html

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Linda in Wa... We too have always had to pay for our extra .5 of a child! 5 persons in a 4 sleeper Condo or Motel didn't work well, and we didn't have a dog either!!! The "Girls" always had to share "YIKES" and Tom got the "Rollaway".
Our first family camping was a trial in a popup tent trailer. The last family camping event was in a 40' MoHo... still not enough room!!!
The biggest factor seems to be that a fiberglass trailer will out last the families together years and we use it now... to attract the grownup "Kids" back for a visit or a vacation...together again!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #5

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
The kinda short ones can sleep in a tent, the really short one can sleep inside till it get taller and then it will want it's own tent. The dog might want it's own tent too...
Old 04-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #6

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Mine eventually developed the heebie-geebies sleeping that close mom and dad and moved out to a tent. Besides the one snores and I don't need two people trying to out compete one another.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
With a family of 5 plus a fiberglass camper, maybe your tow vehicle is a mini van or SUV -- perfect place for air mattresses and sleeping bags for two short people.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
There's a reason Scamp and Casita advertise in AARP publications - retired folks usually only need sleeping accommodations for two!
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Well, Casita offers sleeping for 6 if you omit the front bath and instead have bunks installed. That gives you 2 bunks up front, 2 bunks on the side and the double bed in the rear. They make this configuration for military rentals but I'd think they'd make it for private individuals as well. Scamp can sleep 5 also by eliminating the bath and having 2 bunks up front and the side dinette which sleeps 1 and then the double bed in the rear once again. I know they make this floorplan for individuals as well as the military. If the bathroom is a must then I think you have to move to a 5th wheel as others have said. Lil Snoozy sleeps 4 utlizing a Queen bed and 2 bunks but there is a lot of floorspace so one could sleep on the floor and still have room for a dog. Then you could keep the full bath.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #10

Washington
Thanks everyone for your great ideas on sleeping space! I think I'm liking the tent option the best. The oldest (@12 and 5'4") will probably enjoy that so long as it's RIGHT next to the trailer and not raining. The other is only 8 and not so adventurous, so it might be a year or two before he gives it a try. The baby and his "twin" (better known as the dog, lol) are only 2 so they'd be inside for quite a long time.
Ok, so here's the next thing I need help with. Which of the two most suggested companies has the better quality/ customer service? I don't want to buy something that looks great only to learn that the company isn't helpful, just like I wouldn't like to buy something not so great just because the company is nice to me. Does that make any sense?
(I haven't personally owned a trailer myself before, so I guess I've got a lot of silly "what-if's" to figure out before I finally buy something. I really enjoy the fact that you guys are here though and know way more than me about this kind of stuff. It's really very helpful and I appreciate it.)

*Extra info*
Tow vehicle is a little Chevy (I dunno exactly, but it says Z71 on the back) truck.
The ferocious dog only weighs 30lbs and A/C is madatory to prevent him from overheating durring the summer months.
We don't really spend time indoors while camping unless it's just pouring rain or some other such weather silliness.

Anyway, Thanks again for all your help! I'm still thinkin' pretty hard on it.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Take a tour!

Linda,

We are going out with our Good Sam Group next week to the Rest A While RV Park in Hoodsport, (27001 N Hwy 101). We will be there Tuesday thru Thursday leaving Friday. We would be happy to show you our 2009 Trillium. Just ask for the Hitch N Go Good Sam group and we will be there.

Google shows about 40 miles from Bremerton...

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #12

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Linda,

We are going out with our Good Sam Group next week to the Rest A While RV Park in Hoodsport, (27001 N Hwy 101). We will be there Tuesday thru Thursday leaving Friday. We would be happy to show you our 2009 Trillium. Just ask for the Hitch N Go Good Sam group and we will be there.

Google shows about 40 miles from Bremerton...

Roger,

Thanks for the invitation. With some skillful convincing, I've managed to get my husband to agree to running out there to check out your Trillium after work! Just so I've got it right, you'll be out there from the 12th?
Yay! I'll get to see one up close and personal! Thank you!
>Doing the Happy Dance!<
Now I get to go google the location...
Old 04-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Linda in Wa. You could also call Tammy at Escape trailers in Chilliwack B.C. or check them out on line. They can custom build to suit your needs and also put you in touch with an owner near you for a viewing. http://www.escapetrailer.com
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote