Hi, I am...... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: currently shopping
Wyoming
Hi, I am......

A outdoors loving dude thats currently living in Wyoming. I just discovered campers like the Burro, Scamp, ect. and really really want to find one.

WHY?

Well I drive a Toyota Tacoma (regular cab, 4x4, 2.7L 4cyl) so im not really looking for a heavy huge camper. I was almost set on a roof top tent mounted on a trailer, but a fiberglass camper would be so much more comfortable.

I love to hunt, hike, camp, fish, ect. The big trip I need a camper for is a bird hunting odessey in Nov. 2013.....three weeks of chasing birds through the west.

I hope to learn a lot and maybe find a fixer uper burro to make my own.

Thanks for reading my ramble!

(p.s. if anyone sees one for sale in CO, WY, or near by pm me please!!!)
JWP58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Hey James, Welcome and Good Luck finding your egg! I just got mine on friday, so Im still new to them but its great moveing up from tent camping!

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi James to FiberglassRV... we're glad you're here!

I'm guessing 99% of us have moved up from tent camping of some sort, so you'll have lots in common with people here.

Don't get discouraged if you're looking to buy right away. Tons of all molded towables have been winterized and put away for the winter. Folks have been concentrating on the holidays rather than posting a trailer for sale. The closer most of the country gets to camping season.... like March-April, you'll find the amount of trailers for sale increases. What's most important, no matter the time of year, if you see something you're really interested in... pounce. This is definitely a case of, you snooze... you lose.

Good luck on your egg hunt!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Welcome, James. Let the fun begin.

Lots of great choices out there, many dependent upon your own parameters. Search and read through the pages here, and go visit the sites for the individual manufactured units. Then ask away with any questions you might have.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Welcome to the group.
You will find that your Toyota will do fine with any of the 13' ers, but be aware that even slightly larger trailers get heavy fast.

For your kind of use you might find that one of the smaller Campster or Hunter trailers might serve you well at a lower cost. They are a bit harder to find, and you might get a vacation trip out of buying one, but keep your eyes open in your search.

As Donna mentioned, availability of rigs will go up starting in March/April, but so will prices. Right now is about the bottom of the price cycle and good reason to start looking. The purchase of all three of the FGRV's we have bought involved being the first ones on site with cash in hand.
BTW: If a good deal is still available after a week it usually has something wrong with it.
Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #6

Name: del
Trailer: 1980 13' Burro
Utah
James,

KEEP YOUREYES OPENYOU'LL FIND ONE
PLAN AROAD TRIPHURRY AND BEAT THE CROWD

MAN I'M HAVING TOO MUCH FUN!!!!
papas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #7

Name: James
Trailer: currently shopping
Wyoming
Thank you for the warm welcome!

I spotted a rough looking burro in town. Gonna try and locate the owner and take it off his hands. I kinda want a rough one so I can make it what I want.
JWP58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #8

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Welcome, James. I needed my camper mostly for attending N-SSA skirmishes and other shooting events, not too different from your needs. I got a 13 foot Burro, 1983 vintage when matters got pressing... I had to drive from Central VA to the Chicago area to get mine! My suggestion to you is to make a list of what features you absolutely must have, those that you would like to have, and those you can do without. Look at the features offered in the more commonly available brands to narrow your search and then begin an informed search. As you find potential purchases, be sure to check carefully for condition issues... stories abound about rotten floors, leaky window frames, etc, etc. Nothing is irreparable, but some problems are more difficult and expen$ive than others, so don't let the thrill of the hunt blind you to the camper's faults.

Now is a pretty good time to be buying, if you can find someone who hasn't packed theirs away for the Winter and if you can actually get to see it (not snowed in, etc.) Good hunting!

Froggie
Green Frog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Welcome to the Egg community, and happy hunting!!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote