Hi I am... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 09:27 AM   #1

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: In the Market
Quebec
Smile Hi I am...

Kathleen,

My spouse and I are looking to buy a travel Trailer light weight that our Ford Escape 2013 can tow. We have 2 we are interested in
White Whale 2015 181 and the R-pod 179 2016 not sure which is better they are both light weight and have what we need. wondering what your taught are on each thanks for your input.
Kdumontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Kathleen, welcome! My internet search for a White Whale trailer turned up nothing, but you have me curious about it; do you have a link?

The R-Pod is what we call a 'stickie' or 'stick-built trailer' because they have their wall panels and roof panel mounted (with seams that eventually leak) onto an inner frame. Most of us on this forum own molded fiberglass trailers, which have no inner frame and no seams between walls and roof. Think of an eggshell on wheels. The molded trailers also tend to have a shape that creates less wind resistance and yields better fuel economy than the R-Pod or other stickies.

Does your Escape have the 2L ecoboost engine? Tow package?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #3

Quebec
Thank you

I appreciate the comment and since I am new to the seen of travel trailer. I want to be armed with the best info to make a sound decision. if I may ask What would you recommend I need to be under 3000lbs so ultra light weight. and I do not want a hybrid ( fear of leaks as we had a tent trailer)

the Link to the website is
Riverside RV - Your Lightweight Travel Trailer Headquarters
the version however that I am looking at is but it is not the Retro Version it is more Biege
Old 06-06-2016, 10:49 AM   #4

Quebec
My Escape can Tow up to 3500Lbs it is a 4x4 Eco boost 2.0 with the class 2 tow package
Old 06-06-2016, 11:11 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Kathleen, since you are on a site dedicated to Molded Fiberglass travel trailers, which most all 17' or under are less than 3,000lbs, neither of your choices of "stick built" trailers fit our beliefs that an all molded fiberglass construction is lighter in weight, more durable, and less prone to leaks (except for the usual areas of windows, and vents) since there are no seams (some are completely fiberglass and will have no structural wood to rot). Some brands of molded fiberglass travel trailers in Canada that you may want to look at are Escape and Boler, or a small Bigfoot, to give you an idea of what a molded fiberglass trailer looks like. Best of luck with your search.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:17 AM   #6

Quebec
thank you I now see the difference I appreciate the info
Old 06-06-2016, 11:31 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
... fit our beliefs that an all molded fiberglass construction is ... less prone to leaks (except for the usual areas of windows, and vents) since there are no seams ...
Thats an important point. I had four different leaks in the first six months of owning a brand new Scamp 16, so nothing is perfect. (Which by the way, weighs in at under 2,600 lbs loaded with gear)
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote