Hi I am - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2016, 06:03 AM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: Scamp13
Florida
Hi I am

Hi! I am Karen, proud co owner with my hubby of our 2013 Scamp 13. Have been looking for a long time for the right RV and she showed up at the right time in the right place.

Couple of questions:1) gelcoat in great shape but dirt, mold around all belly band caulking & window perimeters. What is best to use? Bleach will degrade the caulking, I'm afraid. Doesn't really need re caulking as it appears in otherwise good shape. It did come with a custom canvas cover so will use this after cleaning.

2) sewer tube in front turned a hideous yellow. Anyone tried painting with a plastic adhering paint? I'd like to remove the whole thing but then will be left with holes? Hear the 10ft slinky is fairly useless.

3) this one may be blasphemy to the Scamp purists on this site, but has anyone tried painting the brown "wood" Formica surface of the table, & cabinets? I personally find them dated looking and think a lighter color would be esthetically more pleasing and open up the camper a bit.

Any help & commentary much appreciated.
Karen
KarenN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:39 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to FGRV, Karen, and congratulations on your purchase!

Mold on the belly band caulk is common. I clean it using a scouring paste containing bleach and a toothbrush. It's part of the semi-annual clean-and-wax regimen. It will come back. As far as I've read, there's no issue with toxicity. It's just cosmetic.

By all means, paint the cabinet doors! It's only a fake printed wood over MDF- nothing special. Some have replaced them with beautiful frame and panel doors. Now if you start talking about hacking up the fiberglass cabinets, that might get some "Scamp purists" riled up… Actually I'm working up the nerve to "hack" a second door in the closet by the door to better access that nice space around the wheel well.

I don't know if painting the table will work well, though, being a horizontal surface that gets hard use. Many people replace the whole thing with lighter plywood. I'd consider plywood with a laminate surface of my choosing. Trim the edges with plastic T-molding or metal C-channel for a vintage look. There are lots of creative ideas for upgrading the table in old threads.

I'd get rid of the "stinky slinky" tube, and if I were ordering a new Scamp I'd have them leave it off, as many knowledgable buyers do. A 5" vinyl fence post cover from HD mounted under the trailer is the usual storage solution and allows for a longer hose. There are some old threads with details.

As to the holes left behind, you can put rivets in them with plastic washers and snap caps (but no tube).

Happy camping!

PS- To search old threads, your best friend is the "Site Search/Google" option at the bottom of the "Search" menu in the blue task bar under your log-in information.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Actually I'm working up the nerve to "hack" a second door in the closet by the door to better access that nice space around the wheel well.
Jon,
I spent a year working up the nerve to do the same to our new Scamp. I finally did it and it turned out to be easier than I had been fearing and the result is terrific. I ordered a matching door and hardware from Scamp (they even cut it to my size specs) so it looks like a factory job. We've made a number of mods to the scamp but this is the one my wife considers the most functional improvement. So I encourage you to go for it! Let me know if you have questions.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:14 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
welcome

Hey Karen, welcome. The best thing I ever did with my Scamp was to paint the cabinets. I would recommend you remove the fronts including the hardware and put a coat of kilz or other latex prep. Use quality semi gloss paint, two coats minimum. I also changed the knobs to some ceramic sugar skulls. I also redid my table with a kit I learned of on this sight that makes a fake stone/granite look. It has two coats of some heavy duty gloss that protects very well. Sorry I don't recall the maker. I removed the tube on the front and filled the holes with body filler. Take your time and enjoy your 'personalization'.
John
Old 12-22-2016, 01:14 PM   #5

Florida
Thanks, John!

I appreciate your time in replying, John! Good stuff to know.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:21 PM   #6

Florida
Thanks, Jon!

Great info and will follow through with it!

Karen