Hi I am... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2021, 12:17 AM   #1

Name: Niccolo
Trailer: Looking to buy
California
Hi I am...

Niccolo.
Looking to get started on this adventure!
niccoloboldrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:37 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Niccolo!

Does that mean you are in the market for a molded fiberglass trailer? Besides this site and the Craigslist/Facebook jungle (where scams outnumber real ads and great caution is needed) you can also visit www.fiberglass-RV-4sale.com. They repost ads from others sites (minus the scams) along with direct seller listings. New listings are scarce these days, but the archives allow you to browse recent sales to get an idea of what’s out there and what people are asking.

Many are older units and require work, ranging from light touch-up to full rebuilds. Careful inspection will help you avoid getting in over your head.

Do you have an intended tow vehicle?

Best wishes getting started on your adventure!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:27 AM   #3

Name: Niccolo
Trailer: Looking to buy
California
Hello Jon,

yes we are in the market. This would be our first trailer, so we are still learning the basics. We can tow 7700 lb with our vehicle. We are looking for something no smaller than 19' and no larger than 22'. Thank you for the link, we will certainly check it out! And thanks for the heads-up on the possible work required on older units.

Yes, it seams like the pandemic has incentivized a lot of people to dive in to the world of RV's!

Thanks again for the message,

Niccolo
niccoloboldrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:24 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Realize traditional trailers measure length of just the box, while molded FG trailers are measured end to end. So my 13 foot Trillium has a 10 foot trailer body, and my 19 foot Escape has a 16 foot body length. Friends of mine with a traditional built trailer have a 19 foot model that is about 23 feet long. In addition, most molded FG trailers are narrower than traditional trailers. The two factors combine to make molded FG trailers much smaller for the “same size” as a traditional built trailer.

I find the narrower trailer makes them that much easier to tow, my trailers are about the width of my truck.

In the 19 to 22 foot bumper pull, you really just have Escape, Bigfoot and Oliver. The Bigfoot and Oliver are both four season trailers, heavier and more expensive. Escapes are not cheap either but less than the other two. Casita”s biggest bumper pull is 17 foot, and Scamp’s is 16 foot.

People think older trailers just need cosmetics. Typically they need a lot more than that. The fiberglass bodies tend to last forever. But everything else, not so much.

Used molded FG trailers ate hard to find. Scamps and Casitas are the most common in the USA, still not easy to find.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote