Hi, I am Aaron - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2015, 06:01 PM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: Researching...
British Columbia
Hi, I am Aaron

Hi All. My Name is Aaron, and I am on the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia. Been lurking here for some time, but finally decided to join the conversation.
I'm currently hunting for my first FG trailer, having been a long time camper who has owned a couple Vans (Last a Getaway which was sold last week) and a 1976 Empress 2200 RV "with Character"...
My Wife and I have decided to give trailering a try for a while. I'm looking for something I can tow with my 2011 Ranger (6cyl, 4x4, 5500lb tow capacity). I am leaning hard towards a 17' Bigfoot. The current plan is to find something that will fit our needs for a couple years to help decide what we may want to do in the future.
I have one BF locally which I have been looking at, but it may be a bigger project than I want to get into at this point. (I don't mind a project... but I have a number on the go as it is).
Anyhow... I look forward to participating here. I'm sure I will have questions as I narrow in on my new-to-me trailer...
BrainEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:14 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV Aaron, I think a lot of us lurked for a while too
Your Ranger will do fine. I've got an '02 4L V6 and tow a Casita SD17 and it does well. You may want to pull up the thread from the doc center on "trailer weights in the real world" to get an idea of road loaded trailers have come in at.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:51 PM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Hi All. My Name is Aaron, and I am on the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia. Been lurking here for some time, but finally decided to join the conversation.
I'm currently hunting for my first FG trailer, having been a long time camper who has owned a couple Vans (Last a Getaway which was sold last week) and a 1976 Empress 2200 RV "with Character"...
My Wife and I have decided to give trailering a try for a while. I'm looking for something I can tow with my 2011 Ranger (6cyl, 4x4, 5500lb tow capacity). I am leaning hard towards a 17' Bigfoot. The current plan is to find something that will fit our needs for a couple years to help decide what we may want to do in the future.
I have one BF locally which I have been looking at, but it may be a bigger project than I want to get into at this point. (I don't mind a project... but I have a number on the go as it is).
Anyhow... I look forward to participating here. I'm sure I will have questions as I narrow in on my new-to-me trailer...
Welcome Aaron. Since you're in BC, consider also looking at the Escape 17. Chilliwack may not be far from you. There are also a ton of Escapes in BC, and I've seen a couple 17s come up for sale there in the last week. Happy hunting.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:51 PM   #4

British Columbia
Thanks for the replies, Guys...
Dave, that thread was very interesting. Thanks for that and the report on your Ranger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Welcome Aaron. Since you're in BC, consider also looking at the Escape 17.
Robert, the Escape is on my radar... it is also a part of my two-year plan which has us finding a rig to use as a trial run, then possibly getting on the list for a New Escape if we decide to embrace the FG Trailer lifestyle.
I am torn right now... not sure if I will find a good fixer-upper to hold us over for a while, or jump right in with a newer unit. I guess I'll know when something just feels right.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:23 AM   #5

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Hi and welcome Aaron.
I tow my 17' BF with a Honda Ridgeline, tow rated at 5000 lb. I live in the mountains of SW Virginia and last summer camped all over the mountains of Colorado and Wyoming.
I've had my rig weighed, loaded for camping at 410 hitch weight and 3180 axle weight.
You should do just fine.

While I like my BF, if I were out your way, where 17' Escapes are more available, I'd be tempted.

Good luck with your search. Our small eggs are not for everyone, but an awful lot of us would never consider anything else.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #6

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1981 Burro 13'
North Carolina
Welcome Aaron,

Good luck in your search. Hope it is short. It took me nearly four years to find my 1981 Burron 13', but it was worth the wait. I tow with a 2010 Kia Sportage, tow weight only 2000 lbs., so the Burro at less than 1000 lbs was great for me. In two years I'll buy a bigger truck and a 17' FGRV, Casita or Burro, and hit the open road for a year. My partner says she will not go for such a long period without a bathroom and shower, so bigger it will be. Meantime, the shorter trips are great in the Burro. Have fun up there in BC. It's one of the places we intend to visit on our longer sojourn.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Currently a couple of used 17' Escapes available:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-70213.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-70219.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:42 PM   #8

British Columbia
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback! I particularly appreciate the reports on how your mid-sized TVs are handling your trailers.
I'll be having a second look at a 1980 BF 17' which is an inexpensive starter, but needs a bit of work (How much really depends on how far I want to dig in, I think), but also have a line on a Local 2008 escape 17b, kinda on the other end of the spectrum.
I'm sure to need some BF guidance before making an offer (If I choose to do so) and I suppose a new thread in the Problem Solving forum would be the appropriate place for that...

Bill, I'm ashamed to admit how much of this huge province I still have not seen... I hope to fix that in the near future!
Dave, thanks for the links to more Escapes!
Old 06-25-2015, 05:16 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Aaron you probably know this already, but in the doc center there is a list of what to look for (problems) when checking a trailer for sale.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
I'll be having a second look at a 1980 BF 17' which is an inexpensive starter, but needs a bit of work (How much really depends on how far I want to dig in, I think), but also have a line on a Local 2008 escape 17b, kinda on the other end of the spectrum.
I'm sure to need some BF guidance before making an offer (If I choose to do so) and I suppose a new thread in the Problem Solving forum would be the appropriate place for that...

!
If you have a line on a well loved Escape 17B and are at all concerned about maintain & repair the Bigfoot 17' I STRONGLY suggest you grab the Escape FAST!

It is kind of rare to see more than one Escape on the market at a time and even more rare for them to be on the market for more than a couple of days. .... they go very fast.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:47 PM   #11

British Columbia
a Successful Hunt...

Hi All, here is an update on my FGRV Hunt....
While considering a Bigfoot Project trailer, I got wind of a Escape 17B that was local to me (Two hours and a ferry ride north of Vancouver). Though it was a significant jump from what I was planning to spend on the BF, I took the advice above and jumped at the Gently Used Escape!
It really is a strong market here for FG trailers... when one of the sought-after units come up they don't seem to last long. This put a bit of pressure on me as a buyer, but I am SO happy with my new Escape... My wife is also pleased that I did not drag home another project, though I have not yet told her that I haven't totally given up on the BF... (just can't help myself, I love a good project)...
Old 06-29-2015, 10:14 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Aaron congrats!!! Don't think you will ever be sorry you went the way of a gently used Escape!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote