Hi, I am Aaron from Syr NY - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-16-2016, 08:10 AM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
New York
Registry
Smile Hi, I am Aaron from Syr NY

Hi Everyone- I work in the central NY area and on my days off I head to the Adirondacks to hike, bike or paddle. I have a 2007 Toyota Sienna that I have converted to a camper(just a sleeper really)and have been using that over the last season, but I have found it difficult to fit all my gear and myself in overnight and therefore I usually do day trips. I've realized that if I were more comfortable that I would stay and enjoy another day or 2 and thus have found the 13' Scamp online and have fell in love with it and the opportunities it would open up for me. I haven't placed an order yet but plan on it in the next week to secure one for next season.
AaronC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:32 PM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Good luck with the search! I grew up just outside of Syracuse.

I miss the Adirondacks. But being in Montana makes up for it
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Good luck with your search
I grew up outside of Binghamton ny
Our family always camped at Brown tract campground

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:58 AM   #4

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Welcome! Wendy here from Sanborn, NY. Niagara County. I bought my 13er used and love it! Can't go wrong. Your Sienna is perfect.

I have a wheelchair van with bench seat/sofa bed in back. DVD player and electrical outlet I bought for my paralyzed brother. Doubles when camping for extra folks to sleep. I get 3 adults in my scamp as I'm small and sleep on front lower bunk.

New scamps seem to be coming with hot cold drains under trailer. Search the forum as was just posted. I no like! Look into it, if you like it, then great. I think they're gonna get trashed under the trailer.

You can also get your trailer with 54" bed, but you lose closet width. I put shelves in my closet and love it!

My uncle lives in constantia. Was senior aquatic biologist for 30 plus years with NYSDEC. Nice job!

Any questions I'm happy to help in any way I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:47 AM   #5

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Welcome.

The biggest thing you need to figure out before you order, is what options you want. Sleep 4 or do you want a bath/shower? Need Air Conditioning? Furnace? Awning? etc, etc. My suggestion would be to contact Scamp and Casita, request a price list, then start making your decisions based on perceived use vs cost.

Many experienced folks here recommend that you buy a used unit to try out for a year or two until you determine exactly which options are important to you. Especially if you've never had an RV before. That is what I've done, and I'm learning all the time. Buying used, you can usually sell again in a year or two without taking much of a hit at all financially. That said, even the brand new units hold their resale value tremendously well, so you won't completely loose your shirt if you need to change what you first thought you wanted - maybe just a couple sleeves. :-)

Which ever way you go, good luck, and HAVE FUN!!!

Lyle

Just wanted to add: My understanding is that Scamp is pretty liberal in allowing you to change the order, ie: add or subtract options to your original order right up until actual production begins on your trailer. My point is, if you are set on wanting a new one, go ahead and place the order the way you think you want it, but continue to research and refine your list of wants vs needs. You can then make your final decisions just before production begins - you don't loose your place in line. Confirm this when you place your order.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #6

Name: Gary
Trailer: Looking mode
New York
Hey Aaron, We live outside of Rochester but grew up in Binghamton. Small world. I am looking for a camper to enjoy with our grandson. Good luck with your new toy.
Gary
gwan2cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Welcome from Jon in Oswego (although I'm currently in Big Bend, TX). Enjoy the Scamp. I traveled to Alaska in June & July with friends that towed a Scamp 16 with a Sienna van. They had no problems with the trip other than a bit of front wheel spin on a couple of steep campground gravel roads.

A journal of the trip is here.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:02 AM   #8

New York
Registry
Smile Thanks Everyone!

Thanks for the welcome and all the great advice! I decided to take the plunge and I ordered my new 13' Scamp 2 days ago! I decided on all options I needed before hand but was also told that they would call me before they start to build it to see if I want to change anything. I can't wait! Although, it looks as though I have to....until Mid October.....
Old 03-19-2016, 07:50 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Good move, Aaron!

Time to start getting the Sienna set up for towing. If it doesn't have the factory tow package, I'd at least add a transmission cooler in addition to the hitch, 7-pin wiring, and brake controller.

Will you be traveling to Backus to pick it up? October is often a nice time of year for a road trip.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #10

New York
Registry
Hi Jon, yes going to pick it up. Do I really need a trans cooler? Part of the reason I went with the 13' was because it fell way under the towable weight for the van. I guess I should beef up the rear suspension though....
Old 03-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hi, I am Aaron from Syr NY

Maybe, maybe not... I started towing my Scamp 13 with a 2000 Sienna 3.0L without the tow package. It was rated to tow 2000 pounds, and the Toyota dealer advised against a transmission cooler, so I thought I was fine.

On our maiden voyage, the transmission overheated partway up the mountains east of San Diego. Pretty severe conditions: 7-8% grade, 104 degrees, 30-40 mph headwinds. Electronic nannies saved the day- it went into limp mode, which got us safely to a pull-off, and after 45 minutes we were able to proceed gingerly over the summit. It checked out okay when we got to San Diego, but that 45 minutes on the side of a busy interstate without AC was not fun.

In the end, we decided to trade rather than put money into the van, as it had almost 200K miles. It would have needed a wiring upgrade as well. I was open to another Sienna (great vehicle!), but we ended up with a used Honda Pilot that had a transmission cooler, integrated hitch, and full trailer wiring from the factory.

Personally I would install a transmission cooler. But I'd wait and see on the rear suspension. Our Sienna was fine without any mods, but I believe you are getting a front bath model, which is a little heavier on the tongue.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote