Hi, I am alee....help trillium 4500 upper bunk - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-23-2015, 11:43 AM   #1

Name: Alee
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
Question Hi, I am alee....help trillium 4500 upper bunk

We purchased a trillium 4500 and are sooo excited. Its in great condition but there's a catch.
The last owners no longer had the upper bunk and we have 2 children. One is not so small(over 80lbs already) and the other is around 45lbs. We need to replace the bunk. We'd like the top bunk to be able to hold an average adults weight. Can anyone tell me if replacing the bunk to original will be strong enough and if not, any advice on reinforcing it while using the original set up?

We are in Ontario, is there anyone out here who has experience in this?

BTW I think this is a great site.
Alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Putting an adult in the upper bunk is not advised. Up to 100 lbs is all I would put up there. Since the bunk holds onto the bottom of the window frame, I am not sure what can be done to strengthen it. I suppose you could put in removable legs for the window side that could relive some of the stress.
The upper bunk on a 4500 is a bit complex. It has a fold out section that is about 6" wide. This folds behind the main section when it is a couch. With out this fold out section, the upper bunk would not clear the kitchen when setting it up as a bunk. The fold out section is connected to the main section with a piano hinge. This construction also limits the weight capacity of the upper bunk.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alee View Post
We purchased a trillium 4500 and are sooo excited. Its in great condition but there's a catch.
The last owners no longer had the upper bunk and we have 2 children. One is not so small(over 80lbs already) and the other is around 45lbs. We need to replace the bunk. We'd like the top bunk to be able to hold an average adults weight. Can anyone tell me if replacing the bunk to original will be strong enough and if not, any advice on reinforcing it while using the original set up?

We are in Ontario, is there anyone out here who has experience in this?

BTW I think this is a great site.
We're in Ontario are you located. I am in the windsor area and you would be welcome to check my trailer to see how it's installed. You might also check out bolerama in the Niagara area were there will be many 4500s to check out. It takes place July 9-13
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:16 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Actually Alee, I happen to have a spare upper bunk for a 1977(6?) that only came with the gaucho cushions. I mention the year, because it affects the type of fabric. That is why I bought a complete set of cushions. The cushions I bought are from a 1978. It would be expensive to ship. Send me a PM, if you are interested. We can make a deal.

Here is what I am offering:
Attached Thumbnails
Clipboard02.jpg  
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium