Hi I am Allen from NC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-12-2021, 08:30 PM   #1

Name: Allen
Trailer: Shopping
North Carolina
Hi I am Allen from NC

We got our first 5th wheel in 2000. Since then we've had a few different rigs, and we were full timers for 2 years in a 16000lb Redwood 36 and Silverado 3500 diesel dually.

We're from Florida originally, but moved to the Eastern Blue Ridge Mtns about 15 years ago. We were permanent NC residents for a few years and then we got back in the RV game. Our primary goal was visiting friends and family back in Florida in the winter. That ended in 2019 when my wife had to have open heart surgery. Last year it was COVID. We sold our rig.

This year, my wife is doing well and the RV thing is back on. We have friends who bought a Casita more than 15 years ago. Needless to say it's still going strong. They showed it off when they first go it.

Anyway, we just want a reliable camper that we can pull with the family SUV. We have a Honda CRV. Unfortunately it can't tow anything that you stand up in. After some research, we're decided to trade up to a Honda Pilot with AWD with it's 5000lb tow rating. We've looked at R-PODs. But we want something small, yet complete. And all fiberglass makes sense. Well - what about a Casita 19?

Used are hard to find and new you can't get until 2022. So we're on the lookout for one. Maybe we'll find it listed here.....
Allen Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:54 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Casitas are 17 foot. They used to make a 13 and a 16 foot model as well. Most of the used units will be either 16 or 17 footers. 16 foot has a lower ceiling height. Sold my Casita here in NC in four hours, before the pandemic. Buyer just resold it for almost 50% more, welcome to pandemic pricing.

IMHO, ordering a new one is a good backup plan. Scamp's deposit is small and refundable. I think Casita is similar, not sure. It could take you until 2022 to find one anyway, depending on your flexibility and ability to pounce (can you drive a long distance and be able to leave any day of the week?) Used trailers can sell in hours, not days. I spent a year finding my Trillium and at least six months to find my Escape 19. One was over 400 miles away and the other was 625 miles away (one way). Bought the Escape within an hour or two of it being up for sale.

People used to camping in tents can find these trailers spacious! People coming from larger RVs can find them TINY.

I'd contact Escape, they will put you in contact with a local owner. Some time spent in an Escape 19 and 17 could change your mind on Casita, or could confirm your choice. A Scamp 16 is another choice. I'd contact Scamp as well. I used to always recommend visiting a rally and touring many of the brands. Covid has put a damper on rallies.

We visited a rally AFTER buying our Casita (we did it backwards). There we toured an Escape 19. Oops! The Escape fit us so much better. Didn't know the brand even existed prior to that rally. The various brands are NOT interchangeable. Each has their own designs, advantages and disadvantages. Even within a brand like Casita, the Spirit is different than the Liberty, which is different than the Independence, which is different than the Freedom.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:42 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
With the Casita 17 you will have to watch tongue weight. They typically run north of 400#, which is approaching your 500# limit. A light-duty weight distribution hitch might be helpful to improve handling and prevent accelerated wear of rear tires and suspension. I saw a new Passport recently pulling a Casita 17 using the Anderson WDH. Looked like a nice, well-matched rig.

There are a few other choices in the 17-19’ molded fiberglass range, including the popular Escape 19’.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote