Hi, I am Anita from West Virginia. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-14-2016, 09:12 AM   #1

Name: Anita
Trailer: Egg Camper
West Virginia
Hi, I am Anita from West Virginia.

We are first time camper owners, but not first time campers. Picked up our little egg camper a week ago today. I have tons of ideas for making it our own with some of my whimsical charm. I will have lots of questions. And look forward to meeting some of you at a Rally or two. Our oldest boy graduates this May, and our youngest is 12. Thinking about part timing it with online school. Any and all ideas on that front are welcome.
Anita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:22 AM   #2

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Welcome. Sounds like you have a great sense of adventure Anita. It would be so cool for your 12 year old to travel and do his school online. Let us know what you end up doing. This sounds like an interesting story in the making
Old 01-14-2016, 11:45 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Anita!

We homeschool our two daughters. While for us camping is an occasional thing, I love the flexibility to be able to take trips when it's right for us, not when it's convenient for the local school system, and we sometimes "do school" in the car, in a campground, or at family members' homes.

With an online school, I think your biggest challenge is going to be reliable internet access when you're traveling. I'm not an expert in alternatives to home-based cable and DSL, but I know there are some folks here who work full-time from their campers via the internet, so I'm sure they will have some advice for you. Unless you already have that part figured out...

Our girls are enrolled in an accredited homeschool academy with the option of either internet streaming or DVDs for instruction. We chose the latter because even our home internet is slow and unreliable. But it makes it easy to do schoolwork anytime and anywhere we have time and a charged laptop. We were at Lost Dutchman State Park back in February to spend a few days with my mother visiting in her Class B motorhome. In our 13' Scamp, the girls were set up for school at the dinette table and my wife and I were at opposite ends of the front sofa doing work on our own laptops. The previous spring we camped near Tucson and our agenda included science-related outings to the Sonoran Desert Museum and Kitt Peak Observatory.

It's not without challenges. Distractions abound! Some can become learning opportunities, but you'll have to set some boundaries. We take shorter trips, so we usually do half-days of school when we're traveling and catch up when we get home. But for longer-term travel, you'll have to figure out how to keep up.

Best wishes in your adventure!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:44 AM   #4

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Where in WV? I just moved from Weirton after living there for 35 years to StClairsville,Ohio
We are Currently Scamping in Florida for a few months.
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #5

West Virginia
Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin748 View Post
Where in WV? I just moved from Weirton after living there for 35 years to StClairsville,Ohio
We are Currently Scamping in Florida for a few months.
I am born and raised here in Fayetteville. Home of the New River Gorge Bridge. I loved it here for many yrs. Economy and prescription drugs are making my home a place I no longer want to be. The Egg is going to help us in our plan to relocate. However........Once a mountaineer always a mountaineer.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:04 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Been to the KOA campground at Harpers Ferry. Love WV and VA, ooodles of of great camping. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:33 PM   #7

West Virginia
Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
Been to the KOA campground at Harpers Ferry. Love WV and VA, ooodles of of great camping. Carl
OH yes tons of great camping and adventuring. We have lots of fresh lakes for fishing and all that great outdoor stuff. Harpers Ferry is a beautiful place to visit. Hope to one day camp in it's forest as I trek along the Appalican Trail. Having mid point being close to home is going to be a good feeling I do believe/ dream.