Hi! I am Ashley, vintage Trillium owner! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-08-2020, 06:21 AM   #1

Name: Ashley
Trailer: Trillium
Pennsylvania
Hi! I am Ashley, vintage Trillium owner!

Hi all! New member here. My family bought a 1979 Trillium in February. Looking into a few upgrades like closet shelving and pulling out the fridge. Any tips/suggestions are very welcome!
tinycamper_bigfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:28 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Address the design defects first: belly band, window remounting, frame to body bolts, door hinge mounts are some of the more common ones. Replacing the 40+ year old axle and power center are also common projects. Endless threads on people successfully completing those repairs if you go to the manufacturers section to the upper right and pick Trillium.

If you can revive the refrigerator, I would not pull it as its an odd size and new ones do not fit (OK, they can be installed, but they stick out into the aisle way which is less than ideal IMHO).

In this time of social distancing and isolation, it can be a great time to do projects.

If you don't address the deficiencies early on, you risk damaging the trailer and for me at least, running out of enthusiasm to complete the project. Everyone enjoys doing the cosmetic stuff. Meanwhile, progress on the structural stuff doesn't show as much.

The Facebook Trillium trailer page has been very active lately.

Love my old Trillium!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:26 AM   #3

Pennsylvania
thanks

Thanks! Luckily, she's in great structural shape thanks to the previous owner. We are taking the fridge out bc we won't be using it and need more storage space. Any tips on how to remove?
Old 05-08-2020, 08:50 AM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
If you take out the fridge store it don't get rid of it because it will lower the value of the Trillium. If you have it at least it can be reinstalled. Get a flare nut to close the gas line and you should be good.

I like to use fragrant cedar to make shelves for older trailers. It is light, thin and easy to work with.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:28 AM   #5

Pennsylvania
Great. Thank you! We will def hang on to it. We just don’t use it. Too small for what we need. Cabinet storage/ pantry items is what we’ve been using it for. And there’s just not enough space.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:05 AM   #6

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Since the Trillium and the Boler were laid out in the same basic floor plan, a closet solution would be the IKEA Trofast hack.

Now, I’ll start with: I did not use the Trofast unit but just the bins in my closet remake. But there are several other approaches.

One approach would be to buy the correct height Trofast unit and assemble it inside the closet (but not the way IKEA wants you to). You will need to adapt the wall pieces to fit the closet space, on the inside surface of the unit, drill angled screw holes in the top, (middle, if it comes with) and bottom pieces, chip out the dowel holes on the other side of these pieces, insert dowels into the wall pieces and slide the top up and screw in place, repeat with the middle piece, if there is one and the bottom piece. Now you have the unit in place. Now you can do the adjustments to level and secure in place.

Another option is to build a unit from scratch using U-channel for sliders. This is how I built my unit but that was because I had just learned a spectacular boatbuilder’s trick and wanted to use it.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:38 AM   #7

Pennsylvania
Cool. Def something I’ll look into. Thanks!

Tags
trillium, vin