Hi I am Carl and new to this forum - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Hi I am Carl and new to this forum

I currently own a 1999 Hilo which has served us well for the last 4 years. I had to rebuilt the top after we purchased it due to rot. It tows great and is quite roomy, however the shower and storage are major issues for my wife. I am very interested in the Lil Snoozy as a replacement and will be visiting the factory soon. Any heads up information prior to my visit is welcome.
Carl
CarlD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:44 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
I currently own a 1999 Hilo which has served us well for the last 4 years. I had to rebuilt the top after we purchased it due to rot. It tows great and is quite roomy, however the shower and storage are major issues for my wife. I am very interested in the Lil Snoozy as a replacement and will be visiting the factory soon. Any heads up information prior to my visit is welcome.
Carl
Welcome to the FGRV forum family. There was a Lil Snoozy listed here last week for sale, I believe it was located in N.C. We really enjoy our LS, but we have added propane and solar to it, as well as a generator to cover most all scenarios.
Best of luck in your quest. Richard at LS did install a MaxxFan in place of the Fantastic Fan, which I like much better as it has many more speeds (slow is quieter and draws less power), and it covers the opening even when open so no one can look into your shower.
There is also a Parkliner in NY that might meet your needs. Check out the classified section at the top of the page.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:54 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Hi CarlD, Welcome to FGRV. See if you can't make your way over to the Spring Fling in New England Rally, May 17-20 in Chocorua NH. I believe we have some Lil Snoozy;s attending.
Your welcome to come join us for 3 days of fun regardless.
See Rally forums listing for full details.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:36 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Carl!

The Lil Snoozy is a great, roomy layout. Biggest limitation is being all-electric, which means you have to plug in or run a generator. Lil Snoozy also supplies a cassette toilet rather than a conventional toilet/black tank.

The outboard wheels mean you have to be a little more careful with turns and curbs, as it tracks wider than most tow vehicles. The galvanized frame is nice, and it has hydraulic surge brakes rather than the more typical (for RV's) electric brakes.

In short, Lil Snoozy takes a different path than most of the competitors. Perfect for some, but not for everybody. For a more conventional approach, check out Escape trailers.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:06 AM   #5

Syracuse, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Hi CarlD, Welcome to FGRV. See if you can't make your way over to the Spring Fling in New England Rally, May 17-20 in Chocorua NH. I believe we have some Lil Snoozy;s attending.
Your welcome to come join us for 3 days of fun regardless.
See Rally forums listing for full details.
Thanks for the heads up. We will be at camp then
Old 04-02-2018, 06:30 AM   #6

Syracuse, NY
Thank you all for your advice. We really like the concept of the Snoozy, rear door, all electric cassette toilet etc. I want to investigate a frame mounted fresh water tank. In addition to a generator and charging while driving, we are considering adding solar and externally mounted propane heat and air conditioning. (Propex and Climate Right). Our plan is to carry what is needed in the truck (depending on the trip) and hook it up as needed.

Sounds like the MaxxFan is a good choice. I will investigate.

Interestingly, my wife had the same comment regarding the wheels being outside the box. I like the idea of surge brakes.

One question I still have concerns the need for a load distribution hitch. I have a 2014 Tacoma access cab. Do you think it is necessary?
Old 04-02-2018, 06:47 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
welcome

welcome carl

we are 13f scamper owners we are very bareboned as its a 95 it was cheap. I like the lli snoozy but the all el. bothers me.

but with your type of investment you can afford to change it to propane if you want to boondock at times. we boondock 90% of the time but that is just us.

good luck whatever you do and we are glad you are here

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:34 AM   #8

Syracuse, NY
Thanks Bob,

We are thinking about a trip to Alaska, so boondocking is certainly on our minds. An externally mounted, ducted propane heater is in the plan at the moment as is a similarly mounted AC unit. We are birders and tend to stay at campgrounds, most of which have electric. Based on past experience an all electric camper would be fine for 90% of our camping. I generally use the rule "plan for the best but prepare for the worst".
Old 04-02-2018, 09:57 AM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I like the Snoozy. It looks a bit more open and wider than some peers. That may be the layout, such as the sofa, vs dinette. I believe they offer the external AC you mention, mounted in the back. I checked their site, I think induction stoves have been mentioned, but didn't find availability. A camp stove could be used inside or out without propane plumbed in. When possible I'd cook outside.

I like the idea of solar, in fact as much as will fit.

The casette toilet seems like one of the better solutions. It is personal preference. You can find details and videos on-line.

I think I would want a clear idea of the external propane furnace before commiting to purchasing the trailer. I would expect almost no factory assistance with this, as it is not what they do. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Snoozy may require a relatively large deposit up front. Enjoy.

If you are going to Alaska for a few weeks in the summer, a ducted furnace may be overkill. There are unducted catalytic furnaces which require ventilation. My favorite is the Olympic Wave, which comes in 3 sizes. I encourage you to do your homework, and avoid the folklore. Mr. Buddy is another. I favor the Wave, but both work. Again research thoroughly and skip the folklore, for safe sizing, use, and lifespan.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Carl, do you favor the Climate Right because of lower noise? I cannot think of another reason to forego the room AC typically installed by Snoozy, especially since the latter never needs to be hooked up or unhooked. You will want the 10k btu, I think, if you ever encounter temps above 90 degrees.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:44 AM   #11

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Hi, Carl. Our LS came with a 2 burner stove, I have added a 1 qt crock pot, a 1.5 liter pressure cooker (Hawkins) and electric kettle and elec frypan. Buying the small toaster oven and toaster oven size pans turned out to be overkill. Guess what? It's a rare day when we cook, other than breakfast. Late lunch is less expensive out than dinner and it's neat to explore new tastes and restaurants. A small bedtime snack carries us thru the night.
Our options included the extra full size window, 12V truckfridge, the Honda generator, the side mounted spare, an extra driver side portal to storage, storage LED lights, and the upgraded Thetford which unloads from the outside. I did buy a 9 inch TV and we haven't taken it along once.
We have done a couple overnights/weekends in FL and in June took a month to travel to Newfoundland. Canada. Hint- when a Newfoundland restaurant describes a meat or seafood as fried, it does NOT mean breaded and fried. And I know poutine sounds yucky- prior to the trip I swore up and down I would NEVER eat that- and it turned into a new fave dish of mine!
LS came with a 1,000/1,500 watt heater and I bought a 200 watt for heater for nights I didn't feel were all that cold but DH did.
Both of us have chronic back pain - the LS mattress is the most comfortable mattress we own. The Thetford sits high and my dangling feet worsened my sciatica so we got a folding stool for our feet and I use it- DH doesn't.
We travel with 4 cats and use about 2/3 the underbed storage for them.

Our stickbuilt house is on septic and we usually dump the Thetford cassete at home after short trips.
I love ours so much! Its wonderful camping (health problems kept me out of the woods for about a decade and didn't realize how much I missed it till I got back out there.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Hi Carl. I tow our LS with either a 1/2 ton GMC pickup truck or our 2007 Jeep Wrangler (JK Rubicon), and a weight distribution hitch is not needed, nor is any sway device. I believe that with surge brakes you would not be able to use a weight distribution hitch. When we ordered our LS back in 2014, we could order surge disc brakes (which is what we ordered), surge drum brakes, or electric brakes, but I don’t know what is offered now. I gave you my phone number in a PM, so please feel free to give me a call, and we’ll share our experiences.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:34 PM   #13

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Hello, I understand you want an external forced air furnace. I'm not sure what is out there. Here's one to consider, but it is internal. Runs on 120 volt or propane.
PS, sorry, I had missed your mention of the Propex. They have a good reputation.
Truma:
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote