Hi, I am Carmen! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2020, 09:26 PM   #1

Name: Carmen
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Hi, I am Carmen!

Purchased a 1979 Scamp in need of a little more love. Usable as it is, but a major no-no for the Sunshine State is carpet. Holds damp. Gonna gut it and replace with cedar paneling. Any tips, tricks, or resources local to Florida are appreciated!
ScampCurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:44 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Dehumidifier. Amazon sells compact ones that are good for RVs.

The carpet serves several purposes. I would not be in a rush to remove it.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:58 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
1979 Scamps originally had Ensolite (black closed cell foam with a textured white vinyl surface layer) covering the walls, so the carpet is not original. Important question: what kind of carpet? More important, is the original Ensolite still present under the carpet?

Casita has used a synthetic carpet with a closed cell foam backing (doesn’t absorb moisture, adds a modicum of thermal insulation, deadens sound and prevents condensation) for many years. They are based on east Texas and sell many trailers in the SE without issues relating to the carpet.

Since 1985, Scamp has used a layer of foil bubble wrap covered with a fuzzy, carpet-like marine headliner. It serves the same functions- insulation, condensation, sound- as the foam-backed carpet used by Casita. I like it, and I haven't heard complaints about performance in a humid climate.

Long and short, carpet in a molded trailer can be good, provided it’s the right kind of carpet. Like Bill, I wouldn’t be in a big hurry to take it out. Let us know what you find out about the carpet and what’s under it.

Start by cleaning it really well.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote