Hi! I am Cathy. - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-13-2020, 04:24 PM   #1

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1980 Scamp 16'
Minnesota
Hi! I am Cathy.

Hello.

I just inherited a 16' Scamp from my in-laws and am looking forward to finding out all kinds of helpful hints to Scamp ownership!

First question - who works on Scamp trailers in the St. Paul area? This one has been sitting for awhile and needs some TLC to be usable. There is water damage, so first order of business is replacing the windows and seals to make it water tight and and then cleaning up the interior. I would like to find a local dealer/shop rather than drive up to Scamp HQ in Backus!

Looking forward to good conversations and meeting up with you all on the road!!

Cathy

Camping Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:56 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
I believe the Scamp factory is in Backus, MN. They offer tours. That's where I'd start. 800-346-4962.

FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:10 PM   #3

Minnesota
Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, I have called the Scamp HQ and am waiting for their quote. I'm just hoping to find somewhere closer to the St. Paul. It's 3-1/2 hours to Backus, one way, and their soonest opening is September.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:26 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp uses foam tape for factory window installations. Best practice is butyl tape. I don't know how they do reseals, but any local RV tech can do it. Or better...

Except for the fixed plexiglass front window (if equipped), window resealing is a great beginner's DIY project. There are helpful videos on YouTube that show the process. Search "reseal RV window." It's easier with two people, one inside and one outside, but can be done alone with the help of some clean-release tape. Start with a small one to master the process. Most important step is thoroughly cleaning the sealing surfaces of all residue. Plastic razors (available in hardware stores in the paint section) are very useful to scrape without damaging the fiberglass.

Congratulations and best wishes getting her fixed up!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:11 PM   #5

Minnesota
Thank you for the encouragement! I am leaning more and more to DIY repairs, but I wish it was 15 years ago when I had more youth and energy. *sigh*
Old 07-16-2020, 12:10 PM   #6

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Cathy View Post
Thank you for the encouragement! I am leaning more and more to DIY repairs, but I wish it was 15 years ago when I had more youth and energy. *sigh*
But then, if you're like me, you wouldn't have the time!
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:45 PM   #7

Minnesota
What is the best forum for repair tips?

I'm relatively new to this website, and am looking for tips to refurbish my 1980 16', floorplan B (rear bunks, side potty.)

Specifically: How do I remove the furnace and fridge? Do I have to pull out the whole cabinet or can you disconnect the gas and electric lines while it is in place and pull it out the front of the cabinet? FYI - All the lines for gas and electric seem to be underneath and between the back of the furnace and the fiberglass! The video I found showed them all handily up front easy to reach, and alas, that is not the case for this one. Trying to add a picture, but even that is giving me issues. It's not a URL, it's on my hard drive. Arghhh!

Same question for the fridge?

Which forums would have how-to's and maybe even videos?

Also, the Scamp parts store does not have the same size window in the front - 45x18, or the roof vent - 12x12. Any recommendations for finding replacement parts?

Thank you in advance for pointing my in the right direction!
Old 08-03-2020, 07:12 PM   #8

Minnesota
Picture of furnace
Attached Thumbnails
1596502804360[1].jpg  
Old 08-03-2020, 07:37 PM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I am having a hard time seeing anything useful in that picture. Some if not most connections are to be found along the outside wall. Often there will be some sort of access panel on the outside.

Gas lines and wires typically run along where the floor and wall meet. So the connections will be there. If there is an access available in the outside wall it will be much easier to use than trying to get to them from inside the camper going through the cabinets.

However sometimes they will be under the front cover inside if there is a removable front cover.

Mine is totally different model but outside wall below fridge vent has a door that opens to access gas lines and wires. I seem to recall fridge is screwed or bolted to the floor also.

My furnace is an antique. But for what it is worth the front cover comes off and the connections are behind it. Will also probably have an exhaust vent or something that acts as a "chimney" for combustion gasses that will need to be disconnected.

I don't know if one can remove the cabinets with the appliances in them as I think you described. Appliances should be removable without pulling cabinets. One would at least hope they didn't build the thing around an appliance.

The ones I have seen appliances only have a trim piece with a couple of screws going into the cabinet. Just to keep them together not the main anchors for the items. Only way to screw to the fiberglass is to attach a strip of wood to the back side and put screws into that. Not able to handle a whole lot of weight or stress.

Wish I could be of more help but go on the outside and see if there is an access panel for those appliances.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:34 AM   #10

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I am not familiar with your floor plan, but if you have a sink above the furnace, you can remove it to gain access to everything......at least thatís how I removed ours in our 13í Scamp. There are thumb screws along the sink lip that you have to access from under neath. I hope this helps.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:25 AM   #11

Minnesota
RogerDat, Thank you for weighing in - the only outside panel is the vent for the exhaust. I am also planning to remove the fridge, so that will open up room to work on the furnace better. The picture is pretty bad...best I could do in the space allowed.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:26 AM   #12

Minnesota
David B, that is a great suggestion. I will try removing the cooktop. Thank you!