Hi, I am Cherry - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm going to insert a counterpoint...

If all I wanted was a place to sleep, and it were just one person and a small dog, I don't know if I'd want the trouble of a trailer. It limits how fast you can drive on interstates (55-65 versus 65-80, depending on locale). It limits where you can park. It limits the kinds of places you can go- back roads and urban core locations are cumbersome with a trailer. It requires extra time and maintenance. A pick-up with a cap, a minivan, and some SUVs can make into a nice bed.

I've done it both ways. When I was single I traveled and slept in a pick-up with a cap, a van, even the back of a Subaru wagon. For quick overnights wherever (rest area, forest road turn off, friend's driveway, gas station parking lot) it was fine, and I felt light on my feet. The van was the best because if I ever woke up and felt uncomfortable with the surroundings, I could get into the seat and drive off without getting outside the vehicle.

On the other hand, in a campground or someplace I can spread out outside the vehicle, the extra space and comfort of a trailer is worth the trouble. I had a small tent trailer that I sometimes took with me for that kind of trip, usually several days in one place. Now that I'm married with kids, that's all I do- no more sleeping in the back of the car in a parking lot. My wife vetoed that idea! I will observe that a 5x12 is a pretty big trailer. For that size, you might as well get a real travel trailer.

Having said all that, I totally understand we're all different. I have done some unconventional things that others advised against, made great memories, and learned from every experience. I moved to Arizona from Maryland 33 years ago in the middle of winter, straight out of college, with everything I owned in a VW Beetle. I rigged up a bed on the passenger side that sat on top of the seat backs from the windshield all the way to the back and slept my way across the country. Every morning I had to scrape ice from the inside of the glass as well as the outside. Do I regret doing it? No. Would I do it again? No.

Best wishes, whatever you decide!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #22

Name: Cherry
Trailer: 1991 Zieman Fiberglass
Washington
I've seen people do that. I like to search the Internet for options.
hey_cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #23

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm going to insert a counterpoint...

If all I wanted was a place to sleep, and it were just one person and a small dog, I don't know if I'd want the trouble of a trailer. It limits how fast you can drive on interstates (55-65 versus 65-80, depending on locale). It limits where you can park. It limits the kinds of places you can go- back roads and urban core locations are cumbersome with a trailer. It requires extra time and maintenance. A pick-up with a cap, a minivan, and some SUVs can make into a nice bed.

I've done it both ways. When I was single I traveled and slept in a pick-up with a cap, a van, even the back of a Subaru wagon. For quick overnights wherever (rest area, forest road turn off, friend's driveway, gas station parking lot) it was fine, and I felt light on my feet. The van was the best because if I ever woke up and felt uncomfortable with the surroundings, I could get into the seat and drive off without getting outside the vehicle.

On the other hand, in a campground or someplace I can spread out outside the vehicle, the extra space and comfort of a trailer is worth the trouble. I had a small tent trailer that I sometimes took with me for that kind of trip, usually several days in one place. Now that I'm married with kids, that's all I do- no more sleeping in the back of the car in a parking lot. My wife vetoed that idea! I will observe that a 5x12 is a pretty big trailer. For that size, you might as well get a real travel trailer.

Having said all that, I totally understand we're all different. I have done some unconventional things that others advised against, made great memories, and learned from every experience. I moved to Arizona from Maryland 33 years ago in the middle of winter, straight out of college, with everything I owned in a VW Beetle. I rigged up a bed on the passenger side that sat on top of the seat backs from the windshield all the way to the back and slept my way across the country. Every morning I had to scrape ice from the inside of the glass as well as the outside. Do I regret doing it? No. Would I do it again? No.

Best wishes, whatever you decide!
I haven't found a trailer layout I like. It's either too much bedroom or not enough. The cabinets just add tons of unwanted weight. The advantage of using the cargo trailer is the ability to have a queen size bed and the basic interior that I want. The occupants would be up to 2 adults and several chihuahuas. We prefer slow, meandering road trips and sometimes, just need a bed away from home. It's nice to have options and I guess it comes down to how you like to travel or camp.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:11 PM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Didn't know there was a second person involved. That does change things. Sounds like you know what you want, so I'm done with advice! Enjoy creating the perfect layout... for you.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:32 PM   #25

Name: kevin
Trailer: Miti-Lite
Washington
I seen that on CL. That's cool you got that. You will definitely want a roof vent installed. Other then that I would just design it to be a removable camper set up so you can always use it as a utility trailer when needed too. Hope it brings you many blessings.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:37 PM   #26

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Didn't know there was a second person involved. That does change things. Sounds like you know what you want, so I'm done with advice! Enjoy creating the perfect layout... for you.
I really like the class b vans, but I don't want another vehicle to maintain. They are very expensive to purchase, too.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:46 PM   #27

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin57 View Post
I seen that on CL. That's cool you got that. You will definitely want a roof vent installed. Other then that I would just design it to be a removable camper set up so you can always use it as a utility trailer when needed too. Hope it brings you many blessings.
I actually put it back on CL to sell. I've decided to go with a cargo trailer. If it doesn't sell, I can do the camper conversion and then sell it. It’s a great trailer though.