Hi I am Choketti with a 76’ Ventura - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2019, 02:02 PM   #1

Name: Brynn
Trailer: 1976 Ventura
Alberta
Hi I am Choketti with a 76’ Ventura

My wife and I just bought a ‘76 Ventura and are planning to fully restore it. It’s so helpful to see all the posts on here related to this model so we’re optimistic that the answers can be found to overcome all of the challenges ahead. Also we’re located in Calgary so it’s nice to see local advice related to part sourcing etc...

As for the Ventura, it was pulled out of a field in southern Saskatchewan where it sat for at least the last 13 years. The fridge is no good (I think), the stove might be salvageable however there is a lot of rust to remove. I’m not yet sure the condition of the furnace or the propane lines but I’m hoping I won’t need to replace them.

The flooring needs to come out as with most I’ve seen on here. I’m thinking of using a hand planer rather than accidentally putting a hole through the FG with a pry bar.

The window cranks are all shot and so far the Vintage Trailer Parts website recommendation won’t work because they are sold out of RH cranks. (I need 4 RH and 1 LH). I did see that Woody’s here in Calgary had them about 7 years ago. Fingers crossed I can find replacements at an RV store.

The water tank has a huge crack in it and I haven’t had any luck yet finding advice on a replacement.

The shell is in fairly good condition (although current state of leaking is TBD). There have been some patches over the years with what looks like resin only, but the gel coating wasn’t done over the patches. I suspect the repairs weren’t done from the interior either as it seems to be all original panelling with no evidence it was opened up. The plan is to gut to the studs, repair the FG from the interior, including the belly band and to reinforce the roof. Like the other Venturas on here, it has caved. After that, tend to the exterior and restore the finish.

The frame and welds were inspected by a welder with a positive review however there is a significant amount of rust. Not sure yet if I want to separate the shell from the frame and have the frame recoated.

Looks like I’ll need new brakes and I’m glad to see they’re cheap to replace. I’ll have to have the axle inspected too. Luckily it pulled well from Saskatchewan to Calgary with no issues.

The rock guard over the front window is missing. Haven’t figured out how I’ll replace it yet so I’ll have to do more research on that one.

The door is warped and leaks, hence the damaged floor, so that is one problem that is yet to be assessed and solved.

In addition to all of this, I plan on adding solar and associated equipment, and re-wiring the entire trailer.

Anyways we’re really excited and overwhelmed at the same time. With winter around the corner, it might stall the shell repairs due to cold. We are unable to get the trailer in the garage so all the work will have to happen outdoors.

Feel free to send me any tips or warnings that you learned through your restorations.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
3158F5EF-5279-4D1B-BDF5-C998B77CE694.jpg  
Choketti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:12 PM   #2

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hello, Choketii,

Welcome to FGRV. If you go to "search" at the top of a page and put in one subject in the lower area (better than the upper!) you can find some threads on FGRV about almost every topic, including "Fear of Fiberglassing," our thread from 2015-2016. We redid a 1973 Amerigo FG-16. There are pics.

You can find floor replacements, door tweaks, décor ideas, paint, tires--even discussions about naming your trailer. You can get great decals custom made through sellers on eBay, believe it or not.

I wish you great fun making this entirely your own; it's not quick and it's not cheap, but you get to choose now what it comes equipped with, you get to choose all the colors, you get to shuffle spacing and usage...we found it all well worth the time, effort, and cost, and our "Peanut" is our last trailer. It suits us perfectly; the day we can't get into it any more is the day we quit camping for good. Meanwhile, Paul uses it in the driveway as a man cave, reading, making snacks, drinking coffee, and waving at the neighbors.

We redid Peanut in the driveway under a giant tarp we already owned...Paul rigged it and it kept the rain off--mostly.

We love pics; happy redoing, and happy trails when you start camping!

BEST
"K"
Old 10-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Welcome to the group. Sounds like you have a plan. Good thing is the interior of the Ventura is flat and allows for easy replacement of the walls. As you have pointed out, the floors can be a real pain to strip as they were laid when the resin was still wet. The water tanks were the same as the boler 13 used and were made here in Edmonton but the company was sold and the tanks are no longer available. You could probably put a smaller one under the rear bench. I saw one in a tent trailer a few years back that would work. The door will require replacement as they all rot from the inside. Salvage the trim and make up a new one from scratch ( replace the latch and sell the old one as they go for good money even used).

Let the fun begin!
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:51 PM   #4

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
I would not worry about the door until you have the roof and the sag completely fixed, since you may find that also fixes the door. The door on the FG is dependent on the curve of the wall, for both the hinges and the curve to fit, so when you push up the roof the walls will come in, and the curve changes.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:44 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Actually the ventura uses a wooden flat door which is covered in aluminum. It has a aluminum door jam. The problem is that the poor window design allows water into the door, rotting the internal supports as well as the plywood door skins. The door jam should also be checked for cracks in the lower corners as this will allow water into the trailer, rotting the plywood by the door.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ventura