Hi. I am Dana - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2024, 12:39 PM   #1

Name: Dana
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Hi. I am Dana

Hello everyone, I am Dana and my wife is Cheryl. We purchased a 2018 Casita Liberty Deluxe 12/28/2023. This is our 1st camper and foray into camping. As in we have never done it before. Getting close to retirement and like to travel, but it is difficult with a 85lb. chocolate lab to find a place to stay. We have talked about getting into camping for years but as they say "life is what happens while you plan for the future."
My son bought a house in Colorado and we are in Florida and that put the decision to the front of the priority list. So here we are with a new to us camper and not a clue what we got ourselves into. Here's to adventure and learning new things. I have been on here unregistered doing research and getting answers to basic questions I've had. I enjoyed the forum and now I'm official.
Thanks in advance for answering my 'Green Pea' questions.
Dana and Cheryl.
Dana Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 02:25 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Nice move, and a great trailer choice! I'd highly recommend a copy of Eileen Glick's Casita A-Z Owner's Guide. It's available (on Amazon, I think) in print and electronic versions and far more thorough than factory literature. Especially as first time RV owners, you will appreciate her attention to detail.

Traveling with pets can be a challenge. I believe they are prohibited at Florida state parks, though I'd say Florida is the exception rather than the rule, and private campgrounds are an alternative. Many states require proof of current rabies vaccination due to potential contact with wildlife, but I'm sure you've got that covered. If s/he's a barker, start now to train out of that behavior. Some hiking trails don't allow pets, though many do (on a short leash).

Welcome, congratulations, and best wishes for many happy travels!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 10:37 AM   #3

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Welcome......Casita's are great and wonderful trailers. What's your tow rig? We have traveled in our Casita for 10 yrs now......we're down to only one 70lb dog now.....before we lost her a few yrs ago.....his sister....a 60lb cattle dog went with us as well. Nothing like camping in a Casita with a good dog. Well.....there is beer also but that's a personal preference. Enjoy...safe travels.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:40 AM   #4

Name: Dean
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Dana and Cheryl,

Welcome!

As empty nesters that had never camped or towed, we purchased a 2005 Casita 17 Freedom Deluxe in November, 2015. We started camping in 2016. Since then, we have spent 374 nights in the Casita, visiting 15 states, and towing 32,000 miles. We love it.

Wishing you many miles, days, and nights of adventure and fun camping.

Take care,

Dean (and Laura)
Old 01-24-2024, 05:32 PM   #5

Name: Dana
Florida
Thanks, We have not had our 1st adventure yet. Still sorting things out and collecting things we didn't know we needed.
Dana Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 04:27 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Traveling with pets can be a challenge. I believe they are prohibited at Florida state parks, though I'd say Florida is the exception rather than the rule, and private campgrounds are an alternative.
You are totally wrong. Florida State Parks do NOT prohibit pets, but there is a restriction to no more than four dogs and in some parks fewer than four. But like many camping locations, both public and private, if you have an aggressive dog that is a threat you will be told to pack up and leave. Labs are typically not aggressive, at least in my experience. In all my many times as a Florida resident staying in Florida State Parks, I have only seen one aggressive dog, a German shepherd, one of two, get loose and try to attack a small ankle biter. As he was getting into his car, the person in the campsite across from the small dog’s owner told the German shepherd’s owner he was headed to the ranger station and was reporting them. Since they were in a motor home, the couple who owned the shepherds quickly disconnected power, stored their camp chairs, and were gone in five minutes before they could be evicted.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:33 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
You are totally wrong. Florida State Parks do NOT prohibit pets, but there is a restriction to no more than four dogs and in some parks fewer than four. But like many camping locations, both public and private, if you have an aggressive dog that is a threat you will be told to pack up and leave. Labs are typically not aggressive, at least in my experience. In all my many times as a Florida resident staying in Florida State Parks, I have only seen one aggressive dog, a German shepherd, one of two, get loose and try to attack a small ankle biter. As he was getting into his car, the person in the campsite across from the small dog’s owner told the German shepherd’s owner he was headed to the ranger station and was reporting them. Since they were in a motor home, the couple who owned the shepherds quickly disconnected power, stored their camp chairs, and were gone in five minutes before they could be evicted.
Thank you for the correction. My mom traveled frequently to Florida in her Class B. She had a cat, and she was the one that told me she could not use the state parks because of the rule. Hmmm... wonder if she was simply mistaken, or if there has been a change within the last seven years since she gave up RV travel.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:24 AM   #8

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that rules have changed. Folks who keep animals have a strong lobby and animals are now permitted in a number of places they weren't previously. Another reason having our own sleeping and eating facilities is a plus!
Old 01-26-2024, 02:23 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that rules have changed. Folks who keep animals have a strong lobby and animals are now permitted in a number of places they weren't previously. Another reason having our own sleeping and eating facilities is a plus!
Actually, I have lived and camped in Florida for 39 years and pets have been allowed in Florida State Parks. Before 1985, I cannot say whether or not pets were allowed. I haven’t camped in many places where I have camped between Florida and the west coast where pets were not allowed, but most if not all had restrictions such as “must be on a leash no longer than 6 feet, etc.”
And Jon, I wonder if your mom tried to stay at a Florida State Park and was told no or if someone she met told her and she took their word at face value.
Old 01-26-2024, 02:51 PM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
And Jon, I wonder if your mom tried to stay at a Florida State Park and was told no or if someone she met told her and she took their word at face value.
Either is possible, but as she's now 97 with progressing dementia, we'll never know.
Old 01-26-2024, 05:43 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Either is possible, but as she's now 97 with progressing dementia, we'll never know.
So sorry to hear that. I lost my mother at 76 from a massive stroke following several years of mini-strokes. She could answer Jeopardy questions, relate things that happened in the past, but couldn’t always remember what she had for breakfast. It’s not easy to watch a parent go downhill.
Old 01-26-2024, 05:56 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
So sorry to hear that. I lost my mother at 76 from a massive stroke following several years of mini-strokes. She could answer Jeopardy questions, relate things that happened in the past, but couldn’t always remember what she had for breakfast. It’s not easy to watch a parent go downhill.
Thank you. She had a very long and full life that included 30 years of solo RV travel after dad passed early and she retired a few years later. She was also an avid gardener. Until the last few years she was blessed with a sharp mind and sound body. Yes, it is hard.