Hi, I am Dorothy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2019, 04:17 AM   #1

Name: Dorothy
Trailer: In the market
Washington
Hi, I am Dorothy

Hi. My name is Dorothy and I am a new member on this site. My husband and I want to buy a trailer to travel. It would be more correct to say that this is my idea. But since my childhood, I have liked roads and trips.
I hope, thanks to yours, I will find out a lot of interesting and useful information for me.
Dorothy Harman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:28 AM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Welcome Dorothy! I'm sure you will find lots of the information that you are looking for on this site.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:03 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV Dorothy. What are you looking for in a TT and what are you planning to use as a tug?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:34 PM   #4

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy Harman View Post
Hi. My name is Dorothy and I am a new member on this site. My husband and I want to buy a trailer to travel. It would be more correct to say that this is my idea. But since my childhood, I have liked roads and trips.
I hope, thanks to yours, I will find out a lot of interesting and useful information for me.
Dorothy,

I offer some general advice. It is important to understand a few things:

With any small trailer there are many trade-offs. It comes with the territory because they are small. You can't have everything in a small trailer. Some will argue that the kind of trailer they have and like is perfect, but it is not perfect for all.

There are many different layouts, and you will find owners who will argue tooth and nail that the one that they have is the very best one -- even when they are very different. A lot of it has to do with personal factors. Size and type of bed is very personal. What one couple likes does not work for others. So do not be convinced by the person who argues the strongest for a certain type of bed. Most want a bed that stays as a bed, and does not have to be made up each night, but a few want the extra seating and living space that temporary beds provide.

Consider how you live while camping. Some spend a lot of time inside their trailer, others only when it is too rainy or cold to be outside.

Also consider what you do when you camp. Some are content to pull into an organized campground, plug into the electrical, hook up the water and sewer, and sit in the site or trailer all day. Others want to have a natural setting, cook over a campfire, go hiking, biking, fishing or other things. Consider what you want to take along (room for grills, bikes, fishing gear, etc. in your trailer or your vehicle). Small fiberglass trailers have little space to store anything that can't go into your vehicle, but if you are a couch potato while camping, you don't need to take much. Me, I find that I am frustrated by not being able to take my chain saw, ax, generator, canoe, gas cans, grill, beach umbrella, 6 fishing rods, waders, lawn chairs, extra canopy, fish smoker, etc., etc., but my buddy with a big trailer takes all of that...and all in the compartments of his big trailer.

Also consider how you want to travel. Some are content to tow at 50-55 mph, and they can get by with small wheels and average tires. If you wan to tow at 70 on the Interstate, you need larger wheels (maybe high-lift option so you can have large wheels), and the very best tires that you can find.

Again, do not let anyone else tell you what is good or not good. Carefully consider yourselves and what you do while camping.

Hope this helps,
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Welcome

Hi Dorothy and welcome. May I suggest that the best way to start you search for a trailer is to check the gatherings section of our forum and attend a gathering. IMHO that is the best way to gather some actual knowledge as to makes, models and floorplans that may work for you. Fiberglass folks are , by and large , friendly types and love to show off their trailers. Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:33 PM   #6
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Welcome Dorothy! Don't be afraid to ask questions! If you can't make it to a rally ask around to see who is nearby you and maybe they'll show you their home away from home. Most FGRV owners like to show and tell! Have fun in your search!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:59 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
One nice thing about going to a rally is that you can see / tour many different trailer and talk to their owners about the pros and cons of each .
Also you can learn which vehicle people use to tow their trailer
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:55 PM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Hi Dorothy, welcome to the forum!

I can see the good advice has started already. After 40+ years of camping I still haven't found my "perfect" trailer but I'm getting close.
Decide what type of camping you want to do and where you would like to do it, what trailer options you need and what options you would like to have.

Consider your options relative to your tug.
I would suggest you think fast and move slow when you make these decisions.
Cheers!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
Welcome Dorothy! The single BEST thing you (and your husband) can do would be to attend an RV Boot Camp. RVBC, over the course of a weekend (or up to eight days if you'd like more social activities) explain and demystify all the systems found on a modern RV (whether Travel Trailer, Fifth Wheel or Motorhome). Mistakes made with RVs are often expensive and, sometimes dangerous. LOTS of topics that are very important to understand but, start off seeming arcane (GVWR, GCWR, GAWR etc, etc, etc). Many of these "arcane topics" are a one time concern and, when you "get it right" the first time, you'll generally be "good to go" unless major changes are made to your RV. The Escapees RV Club run an EXCELLENT RVBC. Several other groups do too (RVSEF, FMCA, RV~Dreams quickly come to mind). I've been most impressed by the Escapees RVBCs. They don't waste your time and, the smart folks take an RVBC BEFORE they buy an RV (RVBC graduates are SMARTER RV buyers). "Newbies"
often stay in a nearby motel and drive in to the event each morning. AT an RVBC, you'll have the opportunity to see many different RVs and, speak with their owners (hint: ask owners what they'd like to CHANGE about their RV). ANY RV will be a BIG purchase. Do extensive "Due Diligence" BEFORE you put down cash!
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote