Hi I am Gregg - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2024, 10:07 PM   #1

Name: Gregg
Trailer: in the market
Tennessee
Smile Hi I am Gregg

I'm just beginning the process of researching a small camper. I'd like to use it with a hybrid SUV, so that limits the weight to 3500 lb, which seems pretty doable.
Gregge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 10:33 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Very doable. 3500# gets you up to around 16’ in length. Just know that with molded fiberglass, lengths are overall length including tongue and bumper. Cabin size is about 3’ less.

Best wishes in your search!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 12:25 AM   #3

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
We've towed our 2006 Scamp '16 with two different Highlander Hybrids since 2009. A good combination.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 12:22 PM   #4

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
Florida
Hybrid pulling an egg?

You can see from the other posts that hybrid SUV's do pull the lighter fiberglass campers. That bodes well for the future. However, there may be a catch here. The overall important measure is the gross vehicle weight rating for the vehicle plus camper plus occupants and finally all the stuff that makes a camping trip pleasant.
Further, with this combo you may want to look into where you wish to travel. Hybrids have smaller engines in most cases and their cooling systems are scaled as such. If you want to tackle the continental divide in July with a full load make sure the cooling can handle it and still run the A/C for the driver and passengers.
A non hybrid case here is my 2005 Trailblazer and Casita 17 SD going south for 220 miles in August to Fort Myers, FL in 97 degree heat got a little too warm. I'll be adding transmission oil cooler and gauge before doing that run again. This did not include mountains or hills, it was I 75 south from Ocala to Fort Myers. BTW, the Trailblazer is rated for 6700# towing.
JaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 02:39 PM   #5

Name: Joseph
Trailer: Casita
Alabama
I pull my Casita 17 with a 2017 Lexus RX 350 with the towing package installed. A couple of things to keep in mind:
The stated weight of the camper does not include water, batteries and possibly propane.
Also, be very cognizant of your vehicle’s tongue weight limit in addition to towing capacity.
I have never had an issue with my rig, even in tropical heat.
Joemcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 03:19 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Casita 17
Illinois
Not necessarily 3500 lbs maximum. Finding hybrid SUVs that can tow more than this was a recent quest I went on! Excluding VW and Stellantis vehicles (personal animus) and those without AWD, here they are:
  • Ford Explorer Hybrid 4WD - in my area, only available used as a cop car
  • BMW X5 xDrive40e or xDrive45e - probably the best of the lot, especially the 45e
  • Benz GLE 550e - a rare beast that seems to have completely flopped
  • Volvo XC90 T8 (aka Recharge) - nice, lots of torque, but some downsides too
  • Lincoln Aviator Hybrid - it had problems and they stopped making them
  • Land Rovers like the Range Rover P400e - expensive, specialty

I didn't consider "mild" hybrids, as many of those are just gas cars with electric stuff that doesn't even increase the gas mileage. It's interesting that all of them except the Explorer are plug-in hybrids. I looked for a while at the 3500 pounders (here there are lots of regular hybrids), and I agree with Joemcameron that the Lexus RX h is the best.

There may be a couple more capable ones, if you look at brand new vehicles (eg, Grand Highlander Hybrid MAX). All that said, I came to the conclusion that, for me personally, I want a six cylinder turbo. Full electric will eventually be the way. The hybrids are often strange or overly complicated vehicles.

Perhaps this is all a digression because you're happy with a 16' and not loading up with too much gear like I tend to do! Toyota makes the best hybrid system, no doubt about that.

ps. One note about xDrive40e is that they tow 5952 lbs when delivered with a factory hitch, but I've yet to see one of these for sale. If you get a dealership to add the tow package, it's rated for only 3500 lbs. xDrive45e can be found used, with the hitch - don't try to add it, as BMW has made this prohibitively expensive (never got a straight answer from them, but like $5k).
jkcronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 02:34 PM   #7

Name: Bettina
Trailer: Currently shopping
Texas
small trailer available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregge View Post
I'm just beginning the process of researching a small camper. I'd like to use it with a hybrid SUV, so that limits the weight to 3500 lb, which seems pretty doable.
Hi Gregg,

I have a 13 ft Scamp with front bathroom from 2022 available.

Please answer with your email so I can send photos in case you’re interested.

Bettina
Bettina.Luzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 04:28 PM   #8

Name: Debbie
Trailer: Little Guy
Georgia
We love our Parkliner

We have a Canyon Denali, and didnt want to exceed 3500 either! We were also newbies and wanted something we could maneuver and take off in a whim, and especially wanted to see how we like the whole RV thing. We bought a 2018 Parkliner almost two years ago and have to say we love it more and more each day!! Good luck!!
DebnGA is offline   Reply With Quote