Hi, i am Gus - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2020, 09:11 PM   #1

Name: Robert gus
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Kitchener
Hi, i am Gus

Hello
I just got a Trillium 1300 and excited to start restoring it. It has good bones but old tires. I wanted to say hello. Are these trailers difficult to rebuild?
Gus G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Difficulty is relative to ability but they are simple trailers.
We enjoy pics so we can follow progress.
There are lots of Trill owners here so your in there right place.
Welcome!
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:22 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hi, i am Gus

Welcome, Gus!

Trilliums were the Cadillac of small molded trailers when they were built. Like anything though, after four decades of use and abuse, they will have issues. Here’s a short summary of several specific things you might have to deal with on a vintage Trillium. #1, 2, and 4 have well-documented fixes with plenty of old threads to guide you. #3 and 5 are much harder, but also much less common.

Best wishes with your new Trill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Heads up on several issues specific to vintage Trilliums...

(1) Windows. They are screwed to wood strips inside the shell. Many have rotted wood due to neglected leaks. Ask the seller when they last sealed the windows and whether they replaced the wood strips. If you aren’t confident in their answer, assume you will be doing this repair.

(2) Belly band. All Trilliums eventually leak through the belly band. I don’t recall all the details of the fix, but it takes some fiberglass work and a fair bit of time. Excessive caulk around the belly band trim is a warning sign. Again, find out if it’s been done already.

(3) Floor. The fiberglass floor has a wood core. If water gets in (cracks, screws, plumbing penetrations...) the wood can rot. Repair is a bear. If the floor feels spongy, pass.

(4) Frame. The weak spot is where the frame curves upward at the front of the cabin. Look for cracks (bad) or a proper fishplate reinforcement (good). A questionable frame can be refurbished, but you’ll have to separate the shell from the frame.

(5) Sag. My memory is a little fuzzy on this, but some units develop a sag in the front curbside corner forward of the door. No known fix.

Three other things are worth mentioning. First, the door has a molded strip that doesn’t quite align with the belly band near the door handle. It’s normal, caused by a molding error. Second, the bolts that hold the shell to the frame rust out over time. More than a few people have discovered their trailers are holding together mainly by gravity and friction. Replacement is not a big deal, but it’s something to check right away. For some it’s an opportunity to lift the shell off and refurbish the frame.

Third, and this affects many older molded trailers, rubber torsion axles have a working life of 15-20 years but can roll on well past with decreasing ride quality. Try to find out if and when the axle was last replaced. One simple test is to jack up one side of the trailer on the frame near the axle and see how much the wheel drops as the frame sides. Little or no movement means an aged out axle. Figure $800 or so for replacement including labor.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:37 PM   #4

Kitchener
Thanks. First i need to get new tires for it because they are flat and very old and cracked. Once i get it home i can assess, i got the trailer for a song so i can do work on it. I was readi g about tires and found some at princess auto on sale this week.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:10 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
welcome

Glad to have you Gus. Our rig and old 98 13f Scamp trailer. we have put many miles on her we are boondockers we lite with her about anywhere for an evenings rest and sleep.

No tvs no fancy stuff just a nice camper!

have fun here some really sharp people in the small camper world and fiberglass of course.

bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus G View Post
Thanks. First i need to get new tires for it because they are flat and very old and cracked. Once i get it home i can assess, i got the trailer for a song so i can do work on it. I was readi g about tires and found some at princess auto on sale this week.
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:14 PM   #6

Kitchener
Thanks. I am off to pick up tires and rims tonight from princess auto tonight. So far its fun doing the research on these campers.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:41 PM   #7

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Good luck and keep us updated on progress, with lots of pics.

Walt